• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Time for the SWA-WING Super...

JB got my tires done and ready--thanks JB!!!!

With the tires on it sat a tad high. So I redid the link lengths and shock mounts and dropped it down to 4" at its lowest point.

swa-super-54.jpg

swa-super-55.jpg

So my other 2 Bec's came in. So I figured it was time to start getting the electrons flowing. I programed the voltage for all 4 bec's (6.5v/7.4v). I finished modding the skid plate and got the fxr's in place and some wires.

swa-super-56.jpg

Then thru the skid plate on and tried to get more done.

swa-super-57.jpg

I finally got all the wiring done and secured. Before I got it all secured I went and programmed the FXR's. I also watched harleys videos and got the radio setup along with the FXR's set to the radio then fully secured everything.

swa-super-58.jpg

I still have to rework the battery setup plus I need to get different packs for it.

swa-super-59.jpg

The rear.

swa-super-60.jpg

Finally got a chance to try it out.

swa-super-61.jpg

swa-super-62.jpg

The only thing I did not get yet were some VP slugs for the front. Diamond Dave was nice enough to loan me some of his.

swa-super-63.jpg

swa-super-64.jpg

So after a little time running it I decided to make my first adjustment. I wanted a little more suspension travel so I changed the shock mounts a tad.

swa-super-66.jpg

Something else I didn't like was the fact of how tilted the rear diff was. The caster was too far so instead of turning it would turn into the air or ground rather than just turn. So I simply shortened the rear upper links and I think that will be much better.

swa-super-67.jpg

I also finally got the side panels done. I wasn't happy with how the paint turned out--but they look ok and will do there job.

swa-super-68.jpg

So I am done till my new 65:1 cases get here (supposed to be here tues).

DONK!!! :redneck:

That is a bad ass rig you built Mike.:awesomework: You are very meticulous with your work and it shows. Your parts look manufactured(in a good way) :beer:

DONK!!! :redneck:

That is a bad ass rig you built Mike.:awesomework: You are very meticulous with your work and it shows. Your parts look manufactured(in a good way) :beer:

:redneck:

Thanks Phil--and this small stuff aint easy for us old guys to see either,lol.

I would be dangerous with a small mill and lathe.

Wow--Rc4wd had the cases in stock and shipped them even though it took them 3 days to actually ship them--but I now have them!!!!!

swa-super-69.jpg

They do feel lighter than the ones that came off with cast cases.

swa-super-70.jpg

swa-super-71.jpg

Got the rear installed. I also put hardened pins in the CVD's so I shouldn't have the stock pin/bend quickly scenario,lo.

swa-super-72.jpg

Got the front done too along with the weight slugs.

swa-super-73.jpg

I just have to work on the toe for the rear steering and its ready to try.

There is so much going on in the front of that thing, and it is so uniform:awesomework: I am a big fan of your work:beer:

It was quite the task to make everything fit/work. Nice thing about the new gearbox's is I don't have any interference with the one servo horn and I can replace them with unshaved ones now and still make some motor guards with the horn not hitting it :awesomework:

And thanks...

As at our GTG on saturday (once the rain let up) I got a chance to run the rig again. Yes its much better with the new cases but I am still learning how to drive the thing.. So I was trying to make a corner and I didn't think I was binding the rig up bad at all. But one thing I was having with my width being as narrow as it is my tires are binding against the lower links/shock mounts so that might have been an issue.

swa-super-77.jpg

swa-super-78.jpg

So I gotta get some wider hex's..

RC4WD is sending me a new one. I FLAT OUT TOLD them I am pretty sure I did it but was not 100%. All they could do was apologize. So I bought another pair and they are sending me a replacement also...

So I just gotta get some width and I think I will be ok...

Some pics of it in action.

I am really enjoying this thing the more I get used to it and the more I get my 4PK tweeked and used to it...

When the sun was out,lol.

swa-super-80.jpg

swa-super-81.jpg

swa-super-82.jpg

swa-super-83.jpg

I threw my radio to my son to try it out. He was amazed how differently it drove from his 2.2. He actually was more of a natural driving my super than his 2.2---crap...

swa-super-84.jpg

So I have been comping this since I built it. The only changes I have made was playing with spring combos and some minor link configuration changes. Otherwise its been un-changed.

Well it was time to finally get around to some fine tuning to my steering setup. Its been working "perfect" but I wanted to do a new design that I think will work better.

I had drawn up plans but there was one hurdle I needed to get over and that was a bend I needed to put in the material I was using and be able to reproduce it perfectly every time.

Well I had never played with forming aluminum in this manner and it took me some time to get it right.

Ya there were many many failures.

swa-super-86.jpg

But with each fail I learned something. Call me crazy or just dedicated to figuring it out (those who know me will understand this,lol) but damn it I was not going to stop till I did.

Well I finally got it with picture perfect reproduction.

swa-super-87.jpg

Here is the tool I made for doing it. All of it is hand formed and was plain tricky to get it right on the money. All of the my prior test bends would crack the material where my final setup did nothing of the sorts and I use my press to do the job.

But here is the tool I made.

swa-super-88.jpg

swa-super-89.jpg

swa-super-90.jpg

And here is my new design for my servo mounts.

swa-super-91.jpg

I like the idea of having a single mount for both servo's. I was able to retain the original servo position (inboarded them 3/32) and fix one little issue with there location--just a minor tweek. They fit like a champ.

swa-super-92.jpg

swa-super-93.jpg

Before at times I would have the front bottom edge of the servo's get hung up. Hopefully this new design should fix that.

swa-super-94.jpg

I had to slightly modify the rods from the servo horn to the knuckles (which I knew I would) since they are slightly inboarded. But the setup seems to turned out perfect.

swa-super-95.jpg

I am waiting for my servo's to show up and I will be putting the same ones in the rear.