• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Time for the SWA-WING Super...

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
I have been wanting/talking about doing a bully super and was going to see what I could do to scrape together some parts this summer. Well looks like I have no choice but to build one now..

We had our final comp of the season at Deception pass.

Well I had not a clue but a bunch of the club members got together and got me over 80% of the items needed to build my super..

New super bully XLD axles

swa-super-1.jpg

Thank you WARCRC members for the gifts

1-2 Bully XLD axles
2-2 fxr's
3-super wheels
4-4 40 series moab tires and 4 packages of HB rovers to make a full set of super version rovers
5-full set of dual stage foams
6-17mm hex's
7-couple packages of rod ends
8-bunch deans plugs
9-a bunch of wire
10-front axle weight holders built by JB
11-2 JR 8711 servo's
12-2 bec's
13- 3 cell lipo
14-2 redone 45 turn motors
15-large sheet of 1/8" 7075 alum for building my chasis
16-chassis(can't remember what it is now) that I will use to just get an idea of how I want to design my own super version of the Swa-Wing.

swa-super-2.jpg

Still in AW over it all but now I am going into super thinking mode...

Wow I've been wondering when you were going to take a leap into the super class, I'll be tuned in for this build up:awesomework:

I had a full day of work in the shop but managed to finally get my little truck area finished up. I was lacking lighting and it was driving me nuts so I fixed that. Plus I got it organized too..

swa-super-3.jpg

swa-super-4.jpg

Once I got some 1:1 parts made I decided it was time to do my normal sit and stare and think mode. I am going to start with the steering first and see what I can do. I wanted to do my crashfab steering like I built for my 2.2 but I just don't think that setup will work with this. So for now I am just going to mess around with some different setups.

swa-super-5.jpg

In my normal fashion of perfection and trying different setups I have spent the last few nights building different setups.

swa-super-6.jpg

But here is what I can going to try and pull off. I am going to run dual servo's front/rear since I have seen with these big trucks strong steering is a must. But yes I am going to try and do it BTA--will see if I can pull it off.

To get the servo mounts to fit I had to notch the upper portion of the link mounts. Since the shocks will be mounted off the lower links I figured it was no biggy. The servo mounts are 6mm from the diff tubes.

swa-super-7.jpg

swa-super-8.jpg

And here is how the servo's will look. I also built protectors into the setup to since these things are not light it means allot of weight smacking whats out in the open.

swa-super-9.jpg

swa-super-10.jpg

I am waiting for servo horns to finish off the rest of it.

I got the mounts made up for both axles..

swa-super-11.jpg

Got both axles loaded with dummy motors and the rear axle with dummy servo's just so I know where things sit.

swa-super-12.jpg

Something else I decided to build was what I like to call a chassis table. I got tired of fumble farting around trying to setup a chassis. Since I am doing it allot more these days I figured I would do something. The width is adjustable between my super bully axles and the 2.2 bully's and I can modify it easily for anything else in the future. It has 9.5", 12.5", 17",17.5" and 18" for wheel base too.

swa-super-13.jpg

swa-super-14.jpg

This tool should come in real handy from here on out...

Oh boy--now its time to have some fun. I am still lacking some material but I will be ordering that stuff on tuesday so I will only be able to get so far for now. But thats fine with me as I am never lacking stuff to do...

swa-super-15.jpg

I am building my chassis off my 2.2 swa-wing design. So for my initial setup I am going to use my first design chassis.

swa-super-16.jpg

Nice! Looks like you are moving right along! You are going to have more invested in servos for that thing than I have into my whole crawler. :redneck:

Nice! Looks like you are moving right along! You are going to have more invested in servos for that thing than I have into my whole crawler. :redneck:

Crazy huh.. But these big heavy things need turning power.....

So are the servos going to be tied together or just have one directly turning each wheel?

No there will be a center link between the 2. I just won't be able to figure that out till I get my new servo horns and the upper links done then I can finish the steering off.