• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Time to back the Mtn bikers

japerry

We need to get the mtn biker's back here -- its been announced that they will gate off slide mtn and decommission all the trails at NF.

What can we do?
Back the mtn bikers. We need to help make sure these trails stay open. As the mtn bikers have noted, there is no legal recreation on DNR land in Whatcom County. This goes for 4x4s as well. The reason why mtn bikes are being removed is for the same reason as 4x4s were. If DNR backs off from this, they will need to look into letting 4x4 recreation work as well.

In short, the way they're managing dispersed recreation is not working. All of this is going towards a problem that needs to be tackled by the legislature... ie: user managed trail agreements.

Timeline
Need to Email these people before April 1st, 2012:

A FEW OF THE RESPONSES I HAVE RECEIVED.

Karl - Thanks for contacting me!

I am a Mountain-biker myself and I have had a number of friends call me and many more citizens email about this. It is definitely concerning. I think the real damage is being done by motorized vehicles and not by mountain-bikers.

I have co-sponsored a resolution with Councilmember Crawford so that the council will directly request DNR to re-open access to non-motorized transportation, especially mountain-bikes, while a more comprehensive discussion can take place.

I will be actively involved, not just because I am interested in protecting good mountain trails, but because the tourism and recreational value to the entire community is well-established.

Stay in touch,

Ken

Ken Mann

Whatcom County Councilmember
(360) 676-6690 (office)
(360) 483-6020 (mobile)
[email protected]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Mann-Whatcom/77546362394

Dear Mr. Vanpetten:

Thank you for your email and for sharing with me your concerns regarding the closure of the North Fork trail system. I understand and appreciate your concerns, both for the loss of this area to mountain biking, as well as a potential impact to tourism in our area.

This decision has been made by the Department of Natural Resources outside of any discussion with the County. I have spoken with DNR staff and relayed your concerns regarding this issue.

I'd like to take a moment to commend the efforts of various mountain biking groups, and other recreational enthusiasts, in their hard work to provide these trails and many others throughout the county. I encourage you to continue to work with DNR (and Whatcom County on county-owned property) to develop approved trail plans on all existing and potential new sites eliminating future conflicts.

While Whatcom County tourism relies on the work of entities that provide marketing and money, it is also dependent, in no small degree, to grassroots efforts and service groups that bring to the table the kind of energy and passion you have.

Sincerely,

Jack Louws
County Executive

A FEW OF THE RESPONSES I HAVE RECEIVED.

Karl - Thanks for contacting me!

I am a Mountain-biker myself and I have had a number of friends call me and many more citizens email about this. It is definitely concerning. I think the real damage is being done by motorized vehicles and not by mountain-bikers.

I have co-sponsored a resolution with Councilmember Crawford so that the council will directly request DNR to re-open access to non-motorized transportation, especially mountain-bikes, while a more comprehensive discussion can take place.

I will be actively involved, not just because I am interested in protecting good mountain trails, but because the tourism and recreational value to the entire community is well-established.

Stay in touch,

Ken

Ken Mann

(360) 676-6690 (office)
(360) 483-6020 (mobile)
[email protected]

OK this guy could be a problem. It seems maybe he's not up on the current issues and why the place is being closed.....Maybe Karl could continue a constructive dialogue with him and respectfully explain that MB'ers cutting down and damaging trees is the single biggest issue?:eeek:
The greenies may think otherwise as they want to protect the dirt and the fishes and whatever over fictional rationale they can make up but the DNR wants the trees and the trees alone.

OK this guy could be a problem. It seems maybe he's not up on the current issues and why the place is being closed.....Maybe Karl could continue a constructive dialogue with him and respectfully explain that MB'ers cutting down and damaging trees is the single biggest issue?:eeek:
The greenies may think otherwise as they want to protect the dirt and the fishes and whatever over fictional rationale they can make up but the DNR wants the trees and the trees alone.

my reply

Howdy Ken,

As an avid off road enthusiast I am concerned by your comments on motorized users causing damage to this area being the cause for the restricted access. If motorized users are damaging the area by travelling off of the main logging roads they should be held accountable.

I fear DNR's major concern in the area is to the resources. In the DNR's eyes all user groups from hikers and horseback riders, mountain bikers, quads and motorcycles, to the 4x4 community cause damage to the trails and area simply from the folks that are uneducated. This can be mitigated by education and enforcement of the current rules. The "Tread Lightly" campaign comes to mind when trying to create good ties across all user groups.

We need to all work together to maintain access to the PUBLIC lands we all love to frequent. It really discourages me to see the fingers start pointing when an area is in jeopardy. Instead of all the user groups blaming each other, we should all work together and educate so public lands can remain public.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Karl VanPetten
Sultan, WA

my reply

Howdy Ken,

As an avid off road enthusiast I am concerned by your comments on motorized users causing damage to this area being the cause for the restricted access. If motorized users are damaging the area by travelling off of the main logging roads they should be held accountable.

I fear DNR's major concern in the area is to the resources. In the DNR's eyes all user groups from hikers and horseback riders, mountain bikers, quads and motorcycles, to the 4x4 community cause damage to the trails and area simply from the folks that are uneducated. This can be mitigated by education and enforcement of the current rules. The "Tread Lightly" campaign comes to mind when trying to create good ties across all user groups.

We need to all work together to maintain access to the PUBLIC lands we all love to frequent. It really discourages me to see the fingers start pointing when an area is in jeopardy. Instead of all the user groups blaming each other, we should all work together and educate so public lands can remain public.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Karl VanPetten
Sultan, WA

:cool::awesomework:

As a motorized user, You do have to be REALLY careful who you converse with in the MB community...Thank you Karl for taking the time on this matter.

I guess this is a bad taste in my mouth about this. As I have sat in meetings and watch them side with conservation NW and NOT support motorized recreation.

As far as I am concerned the little bitches talk outside both sides of their mouth. As far as this matter, the little bitches were going to get caught anyways, DNR knew about it and was working on a more diplomatic way to take care of the problem by just logging the area. Either way they were going to be gone. I say you just need to keep it quiet. DNR will put gates in and they will last for a few then the roads will be open to traffic again.

You can fight it and draw attention to your un noticed area. Bring it up on the radar and cause more head acke. Or let things simmer down and go back to business as usual in a year or so.

Gares do keep people out of areas if you know what i mean

Last edited:
I guess this is a bad taste in my mouth about this. As I have sat in meetings and watch them side with conservation NW and NOT support motorized recreation.

As far as I am concerned the little bitches talk outside both sides of their mouth. As far as this matter, the little bitches were going to get caught anyways, DNR knew about it and was working on a more diplomatic way to take care of the problem by just logging the area. Either way they were going to be gone. I say you just need to keep it quiet. DNR will put gates in and they will last for a few then the roads will be open to traffic again.

You can fight it and draw attention to your un noticed area. Bring it up on the radar and cause more head acke. Or let things simmer down and go back to business as usual in a year or so.

Gares do keep people out of areas if you know what i mean

:awesomework::awesomework: I agree with you for the most part. The only good thing that may come out of this is that there may now be a greater awareness of the lack of mechinized recreational areas.

eh. I hope this can start a conversation about figuring out where user-built trails can coincide with and/or eventually convert over to managed systems.

The current system is broken. We need to fix it.

eh. I hope this can start a conversation about figuring out where user-built trails can coincide with and/or eventually convert over to managed systems.

The current system is broken. We need to fix it.

So you have two ways that you can go at this and there is some home work to do

The first thing I would do is confirm that motorized trails are even allowed in the county. Then after that you have a couple options on where to put your efforts for the return.
If motorized is allowed then you need to start the process. If not then you are off to the county to get the code in place.
Or put the combined efforts of everyone to get the county out of the loop and that DNR can build recreation areas without involving the county.
Either way you are in for a long haul. Like I said before, the more attention you bring to the area, the harder it will be and will probably not have the outcome you want. You are better off letting things settle down and go back to business as usual. You are starting a 5 to 10 year process and you will be lied to by everyone that you talk to.
Also it isn

Emails sent

As certain as I am that No Wires is correct in his train of thought, i have emailed almost every name on the list. We will be lied to and our time will be wasted, after all that's what government is about these days; however, our county officials are going to have flooded inboxes to sort through monday morning. I find that in itself to be satisfying.
On a side note, i find it rediculous that one of us has taken it upon themself to send pictures of the Mt. Bike trails to DNR. What did you expect to happen? I know who you are and it has taken alot to get some of the guys in my group that hunt that area out of " Vigilante" mode. Lucky for you that everyone thinks you are one of the M/C guys. :mad:

Charlie, you're right. its much higher than NW region DNR. Its even higher than DNR itself.

Only the legislature would be able to form the rules that would allow DNR to accept user-built trails.

and although its a **** move on my part, I don't think we'll get buy-in from conservation groups, hiking, and even some mountain bikers until everyone is being treated fairly.

Working currently with the county. With some hope we can get a roundtable discussion about recreation in Whatcom County, which would lay the framework for DNR to allow user-built trails without problems from the county.

Response from Ken Mann.

Hi Karl - I agree that unity is more preferable than pointing fingers. Totally.

I think DNR generally dislikes any user group, and the more damage they do to the resources or the environment, the more the animosity grows. I agree with you that a "tread lightly" campaign and education would be welcome. Of course there are responsible ORV folks and destructive mountainbikers.

In my experience, it is just plain fact that a gas-powered vehicle can tear up the land a lot faster than a mountainbike. That doesn't mean I want to point the finger. Either way, we need to find a way for DNR to lighten up. Tourism brings in good money and our area could use it!

Thanks for the dialog.

ken

Ken Mann

(360) 676-6690 (office)
(360) 483-6020 (mobile)
[email protected]

Charlie, you're right. its much higher than NW region DNR. Its even higher than DNR itself.

Only the legislature would be able to form the rules that would allow DNR to accept user-built trails.

and although its a **** move on my part, I don't think we'll get buy-in from conservation groups, hiking, and even some mountain bikers until everyone is being treated fairly.

Working currently with the county. With some hope we can get a roundtable discussion about recreation in Whatcom County, which would lay the framework for DNR to allow user-built trails without problems from the county.

You are going down the wrong road.
First take DNR out of the countys control, then get DMR to adopt USFS rules and regulations for trail building, Then get DNR to allow you to build in desinated areas.

I am just being honest here,

user built trails will need defined guide lines and design before you will ever get any where

Like I said before. Go quiet, rest for a few, let biz go back to normal after a few. You are going to open up a can of whip ass that is going to kick you ass.

The road that you are going down. You better have follow through with this. If you drop this ball, you will hurt all free, unorganized recreation. Please be carefull on what and how you do things.