• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tin Top Buggy

Sorry if this was covered, but are you going to try and keep the rear door functional? I have a similar project that I want to keep the rear door functional on, just don't know how it's gonna work. I've already moved the lower hinge up, and moved the latch to clear where I cut out for tire clearance.

Craig_c said:
Sorry if this was covered, but are you going to try and keep the rear door functional? I have a similar project that I want to keep the rear door functional on, just don't know how it's gonna work. I've already moved the lower hinge up, and moved the latch to clear where I cut out for tire clearance.

I'll most likely use a regular samurai tailgate or cut the tin top door to still work. Mine came with the door but no hindges, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet.

I have more than this done but only have these pics of where my upper links will attach to my sliders. When it's all done it will all be boxed in and braced. Also got a sweet steering wheel and disconnect from santa.

Looking good. I've always like those steering wheels too.

I like what you did with the upper link mounts at the frame. I looked at doing that with mine, but it just didn't work out that way for mine.

Got the axles under it. Wheelbase ended up at 109-1/2". Started on the uppers to make sure they clear at full bump. I have plenty of room except I had to relocate my alternator.

There is no room to put any type of stock radiator up front. I did find a drag race radiator for a civic that will fit. It measures 10"x14" and I have 12" of vertical clearance.

I used sky-mfg Dana 60 trusses f/r and they worked out pretty good.

The 3 row Civid radiator will work...just be sure you get a GOOD fan. I started out trying one of the cheapos you get on eBay with a fan shroud that fits the Civic radiator. It couldn't dissipate a good fart if it wanted to. I stepped up to a 13" SPAL fan that I picked up from Summit. I swear my rig moves forward from a stand still when I switch that thing on.

Another thing...dont be afraid to think outside the box with mounting options either. If you don't want it in the rear...which I guess you don't and I don't blame you if so...you could go so far as to mount it parallel to the motor if itd make it easier...then just build inner fender liners to bring it all together.

the_white_shadow said:
might be able to fit a tad larger radiator up front if you lean it back some. Nice progress.

Only thing I could do is lower the truss. I have 9" of vertical seperation front and rear.

clemsonjeep said:
The 3 row Civid radiator will work...just be sure you get a GOOD fan. I started out trying one of the cheapos you get on eBay with a fan shroud that fits the Civic radiator. It couldn't dissipate a good fart if it wanted to. I stepped up to a 13" SPAL fan that I picked up from Summit. I swear my rig moves forward from a stand still when I switch that thing on.

Another thing...dont be afraid to think outside the box with mounting options either. If you don't want it in the rear...which I guess you don't and I don't blame you if so...you could go so far as to mount it parallel to the motor if itd make it easier...then just build inner fender liners to bring it all together.

Great idea! I was looking at this type.

Mooretoyx4 said:
Only thing I could do is lower the truss. I have 9" of vertical seperation front and rear.

And thats about as much as you want with 40s. I wouldnt lower it any. I bought a lower (in height) radiator for my new build and am trying to figure out what fan setup i want to run. Its 15.5" tall so my Taurus fan wont fit up perfectly. I may have to get ghetto with it since i love the cooling the taurus fan does.

Got a few more things done. The universal link brackets didn't fit very well so we had to make a few custom ones. They turned out ok for only having hand tools.

Also had to dive the hood to clear the tires at full stuff.

Hoping to get the links done front and rear this week and get the front axle together. Will give me so much more motivation to get it on the ground.

noracin said:
Looks good, where did you get your adjustable upper link mounts at?

Ruffstuff
Ended up not liking them being mounted to the sliders though. So a buddy and I made these.

A buddy has been helping me lately and has done a great job on the link brackets. Today we got the rear all fab'd up. Have to clock the d300 a little more, but other than that and making tons of grinder dust; things are coming together pretty nice.

I know the pics are bad. Rear upper mount.

Was able to put the tires on to see how it's going to look. Frame sits 15" off the ground at full bump. With 5" of up travel that puts me at 20" to the belly.