• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire Choice Help!!

Drill the axle spring perches, tub the firewall and call it done. Fitting 38s on a first gen is the easiest to do. Steering 38s isnt as hard as some are making it out to be. I run 42s with no assist/hydro and could steer with one hand.

Your scrub radius will be dumb with 3" spacers! And will cause the tire to get into the floor even more! And it will be harder to turn seeing as how the tire will be sliding back and forth! I would prob just stay with what you have if it works good for you!

bamatoy said:
Drill the axle spring perches, tub the firewall and call it done. Fitting 38s on a first gen is the easiest to do. Steering 38s isnt as hard as some are making it out to be. I run 42s with no assist/hydro and could steer with one hand.

Will vouch for this ^^^ Rode with him a lot. :dblthumb:

I vote 38's :driving:

Post some more (bigger) pics of your rig. Looks like it's modified to where you got all sorts of room for 38's, but hard to tell from that tiny avatar pic

I've never attempted to post pics on here so it may take me awhile. I'll try to do that tomorrow. There's no factory Toyota body left on it other than some of the hood, the dash, and a little bit of firewall so you would think there would be all kinds of room. But where the previous owner tied the cage into the frame it angles in behind the tire close enough that it hinders the space for a larger tire. The only good way to make it work would be move the axle forward about 4-6 inches. Or half ass it & run the 3" spacers.

Pock said:
If I lived further south, it would be getting 37 Reds. But I live in Central Indiana and unfortunately mud is a way of life here. TSL's are the best all around off road tire imo for the kind of riding we do mostly. I like the rocks better than mud, it's just something we have to deal with here, and I wanna keep my rig versatile. The Reds wouldn't be worth a fawk on a sloppy day where we do most of our riding :****: Boggers and TSLs are pretty much king in these parts unless you unload your rig and spend the whole day on the same 50 yard rock garden.
[/quote

You are trying to say the Indiana is wetter and sloppier than the deep south???? I have never heard of such

muddinmetal said:
Pock said:
If I lived further south, it would be getting 37 Reds. But I live in Central Indiana and unfortunately mud is a way of life here. TSL's are the best all around off road tire imo for the kind of riding we do mostly. I like the rocks better than mud, it's just something we have to deal with here, and I wanna keep my rig versatile. The Reds wouldn't be worth a fawk on a sloppy day where we do most of our riding :****: Boggers and TSLs are pretty much king in these parts unless you unload your rig and spend the whole day on the same 50 yard rock garden.
[/quote

You are trying to say the Indiana is wetter and sloppier than the deep south???? I have never heard of such

I'm in Indiana too. Southern part but still muddy and not much rock. Anyway...my vote is 37 red. After the harlan hardline mud fest I started looking for reds. In the slop we rode in they did great from what I saw. Look at the thread pics. I rationalized that by going reds I'd have the ultimate tire for southern trips and a damn good tire for muddy local trips. (Which I try to avoid altogether). Anyway...I have some reds now, wheeled in some slop over thanksgiving weekend and I'm happy I bought them.

Pock and I are brothers. I would agree on the TSLs but I've mentioned to him the 37" reds. They are pricey but after watching a lot of videos of Cole shirley's old rig with his krawlers I was a believer. We wheel about once a month and I don't know of many people running the reds in our environment so it's hard to compare. Interco makes damn good treads for the wheeling we do.

I love 37in reds on my Toyota... when its dry...

wet at all or muddy I hate them with a fiery passion..

I am almost to the point of buying a different set of tires for rainy/wet days :****:

The Reds would also cost me a new set of 17" wheels. That setup just isn't in the budget at this point. I've just about decided to stick with the 36's. It's the simplest thing to do for now. As much as I'd like to see the 38's on it, I keep finding reasons to talk myself out of it. Maybe I'll look for a good used set of Reds and 17's a little later down the road as a 2nd set for those trips down south :driving:

Re: Re: Re: Tire Choice Help!!

Pock said:
The Reds would also cost me a new set of 17" wheels. That setup just isn't in the budget at this point. I've just about decided to stick with the 36's. It's the simplest thing to do for now. As much as I'd like to see the 38's on it, I keep finding reasons to talk myself out of it. Maybe I'll look for a good used set of Reds and 17's a little later down the road as a 2nd set for those trips down south :driving:
37 reds are gonna be pretty damn close to the same size as 38" tsl's....so if you're worried about fitment, you'll encounter the same thing. 37 reds are noticably taller than 36 bias tsl's.

It's settled, stay with 36's and mash yer motor.

Thanks for the info/opinions guys, and thanks for posting the pics JD! And mash it I will! :woot:

onepieceatatime said:
Where do yall wheel out there? I'm just over in Ohio.

Usually Haspin Acres or Badlands. Those are the two closest places. I may have a line on some private property this year through a new wheelin buddy I met. We'll pretty much go anywhere within reason. We go to Haspin every Easter and Halloween, and probably 3 or 4 other random times a year, and badlands a handful of times. I'd like to try to hit Redbird once or twice this year. We go to Dirty Turtle at least once for Boo Bash, and we try to make 1 to 2 trips South to Windrock or some other place. I work a lot of weekends, but we try to wheel somewhere at least once a month, even through the winter. We're going to Gray Rock in February, and I'd really like to get to Harlan at some point this year. But those places are a minimum of 6 hours away.

We try and got Ivy quite a bit. Lots of good rocks and its about 5 hours for ya. Stillwell would be about 4 hours and its got some good stuff too.

Cool. Maybe we can get together and hit those places some time. I usually need a couple weeks notice to plan time off work. PM me on here when you guys are going, and we'll take it from there.