• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TJ Hydro assist plans - need input..

y2knole

A little soft-core compared to most of the stuff here but I need some help putting together a solid, reliable hydro assist setup for my 97 4.0 TJ on a (reasonable) budget.

plunking down $1500 for a PSC kit isnt in the cards and isnt my style... I prefer to hack **** together myself that sometimes does or doesnt work out in the end.. :-\

I have a HP44 narrowed axle swapped in the front, and have bought already an 8" x 1.75" PSC ram.

I broke my durango steering box last time out so its time to get it all back together.

my options im considering are
A) a replacement stock TJ box, drilled and tapped and using the factory pump with the west texas offroad 'high flow' mod but am reconsidering this.

B) get another durango box, and the AGR hi-flow pump.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/agr-812256?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCcG9lWPpamx7rg_p1riNK6YTUFA2SltzVSPgX-68oXxoCFFPw_wcB

This option is about another $250 but seems like it might be a better route with a larger bore steering box and better pump solution.

I'll run an inline cooler with either options..

Thoughts?

Re:

I ran the west Texas kit on my 1 ton yj with a small block and once I did the high flow mod it worked great. My buddy is now running it on a very similar jeep. Turned my 39s pretty effortlessly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re:

I'm not 100% on this....but you might be able to use a YJ steering box. They have 4 mounting holes instead of the 3 of the tj/xj/Durango variety.

Then just tap as usual....run that Texas/Redneck ram setup.

JohnG said:
Paging Kel, you have friend request :flipoff1:

I was with you all the way til I read about new parts. Sheesh, new and LBJ don't get uttered in the same sentence.....usually. I wish I could point you to the thread with the tried and true method for the combo you are running. The best steering I have ever had was already on the vehicle and was a matched kit that just flat worked. Even in the Hop-a-long Sami, the steering components are psc and howe. The Sami I had back in the day was Tractor Supply and junkyard stocker parts and you could tell.

All this being said. Spend the money where it counts. Cooler - check, good pump - check, good ram - check. If they all match up numbers wise, you will be so much happier in the end.

Re: Re: TJ Hydro assist plans - need input..

y2knole said:
what would yj box gain me over a tj/durango one?
Exactly what I stated....a fourth mounting hole instead of 3. Are you not family with bolt breaking or of the like?

ah, ok... no, havent had problems with that issue...

Broke the shaft in a durago box and thats the only failure Ive had... (in that dept)

With hydro assist the fourth mounting hole is not really needed. Hydro assist take alot of the stress off ur box but if ur gonna get a junkyard box might as well get one with fourth hole, im running a west texas set up on my zj, it aint cheap but it works good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk