• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To Weepow or not?

Red97

Looking for the 4cyl rig owners.

Ever wish for a v8? The light front ever really a problem? Still running tons and 39+ tires?

Starting over what would ya do different?

Trying to make my mind up as to which trail to take weepow-v8 ?

Current rig is a sas tracker 1.6 8v 3sp auto 4.24 t case 35's, spooled 5.12 tracker 3rds front chromo sami shafts. Only had It out 4-5 times.

Engine has 175k smoke, knock, tick. But fires up every time, And takes a beating.

19030dac0885e12dbfc6a9febf5d21ab.jpg

39ede11a5bbd7fdddf310f569a4804b8.jpg

Would like to install fresh engine(maybe turbo), dual toy cases swap in my tracker/d44 axles, link the front, redo rear 4 link stretch the wheel base to 100-105 " cut the remaining body more to lower cog a bit.

My little guy is almost 2 so I would like to incorporate a rear seat to eventually take him on some trail rides.

Anyone have both styles of rigs care to comment on which you prefer?

Love my weepow rigs. They crawlin little bitches. I have no desire for a big v8 rig. We were just talking about this last night.

This past weekend left me wanting more power. One of the few times my lack of wooopoooow caused me not to make the obstacle.....

I've slept since then and I'm happy again with my little 1.6. I wanted a light-ish 3 seater family crawler and mine does a good job being that.

If I was starting over a higher hp 4cyl and auto would be in my rig , only so my wife would drive some. I would have removed all the body from the start instead of just having to keep a hood and part of the tub

rednecklights said:
This past weekend left me wanting more power. One of the few times my lack of wooopoooow caused me not to make the obstacle.....

I've slept since then and I'm happy again with my little 1.6. I wanted a light-ish 3 seater family crawler and mine does a good job being that.

Any pics of your rig?

Was it a hill climb obstacle? Long climbs are about the only place I don't like my 1.6, but it is pretty tired and the t case gears limit any momentum. That is where I'm hoping a doubler will come in handy.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Guses weepow rigs ain't all that bad :)

5f0fbb1516bdd66877ea7290b0c29c03.jpg

It was a new cut trail / hill ... slick rock at the top. I just couldn't get enough run and go at it

624a039a0df5a6a66ad484c70399d2b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ever find yourself saying...I could use more power, or if I had an automatic. Buy an LS, auto, tons and some sticky's. No one with that combo has ever said, "I wish I had half the cylinders, a manual, a 10 bolt and some Ground Hawgs."

lowbudgetjunk said:
If you ever find yourself saying...I could use more power, or if I had an automatic. Buy an LS, auto, tons and some sticky's. No one with that combo has ever said, "I wish I had half the cylinders, a manual, a 10 bolt and some Ground Hawgs."

#6lugmafia
#10boltsfolyfe
#halftonhero

rednecklights said:
#6lugmafia
#10boltsfolyfe
#halftonhero

I take it those are your specs? Thought them toys looked kind of funny.
lowbudgetjunk said:

I guess that is true too.

Hawgz forward or backwards?

Bronco72 said:
Im diggin the regular cab duramax.. standard cab trucks have a special place in my hart. booyang

Thanks,

That one is special... transmission went at 180k but injectors made it to 294k... 320k and still going strong. Well till the fuel cooler line rotted off lol.

Well i guess that i will be the odd man....if i had it to do over again i would go the V8 route HANDS DOWN!

My rig is an all toyota drivetrain based buggy, 22R/toy 5 speed/dual cases/toy axles/ 37 Treps/108 WB it needs 10 more inches of WB, but as a crawler i love it and it does great especially if it is dry in more of a rock crawling environment, however when it is wet or steep i wish i had V8 all the time....and most of the time the hills are so steep that 4cly makes me wish for the other 4 cyl's to go with it.

I guess it all depends on what type of environment you are wheeling, personally it is hardly ever dry in the south and if it is dry, there is usually water some where or damp slick mud somewhere.....add steep hills with ledges and a V8 starts to sound really good.

I built my rig because it was what i had...i had the parts, so that was the reason i went the 4cyl route. i don't regret it in some ways because i enjoyed the learning process of building a rig, but i do regret putting so much money into a 4cyl when it could have been a V8. I also have a friend that had an all toyota buggy and eventually went through swaping everything to V8 with tons...the V8 came first because he wanted more power for hills....then the axles next because the toy axle did not like v8 power ect....

yes v8 stuff cost more and it may take longer to get there, if you have the desire for a v8 rig keep wheelin the rig you have so you don't go without a rig to use, save your money and get what you want it will work out cheaper in the long run. just my opinion.

My first rig was a Toyota that I v8 swapped. I should have swapped in the very first 60/70 combo I bought for it after trashing the yota axles...

Instead I parted it and spent a decade building buying and wheeling 4cylinder rigs.

They are fun and kick ass when it's dry, but I don't see any advantage to building a 4cylinder rig, especially if starting from scratch.

Re:

Neither.....You flip them inside out and melt Red Label Rubber too them. They will be sticky and indestructible. Like cockroaches of the offroad world.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

ftoy516 said:
Well i guess that i will be the odd man....if i had it to do over again i would go the V8 route HANDS DOWN!

My rig is an all toyota drivetrain based buggy, 22R/toy 5 speed/dual cases/toy axles/ 37 Treps/108 WB it needs 10 more inches of WB, but as a crawler i love it and it does great especially if it is dry in more of a rock crawling environment, however when it is wet or steep i wish i had V8 all the time....and most of the time the hills are so steep that 4cly makes me wish for the other 4 cyl's to go with it.

I guess it all depends on what type of environment you are wheeling, personally it is hardly ever dry in the south and if it is dry, there is usually water some where or damp slick mud somewhere.....add steep hills with ledges and a V8 starts to sound really good.

I built my rig because it was what i had...i had the parts, so that was the reason i went the 4cyl route. i don't regret it in some ways because i enjoyed the learning process of building a rig, but i do regret putting so much money into a 4cyl when it could have been a V8. I also have a friend that had an all toyota buggy and eventually went through swaping everything to V8 with tons...the V8 came first because he wanted more power for hills....then the axles next because the toy axle did not like v8 power ect....

yes v8 stuff cost more and it may take longer to get there, if you have the desire for a v8 rig keep wheelin the rig you have so you don't go without a rig to use, save your money and get what you want it will work out cheaper in the long run. just my opinion.

That is part of my delima. The trails the gf likes to ride on are the tight twisty wooded utv type trails. (Small buggy)

Mi dosent have too many rocky climbs. The pic above was a man made trail at my closet orv park. Repurposed gravel pit, and somehow the geo made it up some of the bigger peastone climbs in the park. But fell short on some of the steep 20ft dirt climbs.

I also like to play in the mud, since my frinds all have bdmt it is the easiest opportunity to wheel.

https://youtu.be/zQdryECsERQ

I made it on the vid at 15 second mark and 3.53, Pulling out my buddy truck, something he can never live down now. Cause he was following my tracks, but I stayed on top of the weeds lol.

Big appeal to my current rig is the 1k investmet. Haven't done a thing to it other than add fluids and beat it.

I catch myself pricing 1.6 build/turbo stuff then think about how that would fund a ls etc...

TBItoy said:
My first rig was a Toyota that I v8 swapped. I should have swapped in the very first 60/70 combo I bought for it after trashing the yota axles...

Instead I parted it and spent a decade building buying and wheeling 4cylinder rigs.

They are fun and kick ass when it's dry, but I don't see any advantage to building a 4cylinder rig, especially if starting from scratch.

Easier to package? Or not really if starting from scratch?

I am really enjoying building my tracker/dana 44 axles. But really kicking myself for not building 9" stuff. Still keep thinking light/nimble. But not sure how far that translates to some real crawling. If I get a capable rig, I would love to bring it down south to some of the bigger parks to camp/ride around.

personally, i think it is what you make it...and a low buy in price definitely helps. A 1K investment can net you just a much fun as a 50K or more investment.....maybe in different ways, but the fun is what you make it for sure.

wheeling environment and wheeling style all play a huge factor in the choice of rig.