• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To Weepow or not?

tonybolton said:
I've been in Toyota groups with 4 n/a 4 bangers and it was brutal watching tread blocks turn for 10 minutes...moving 2 inches at a time.

:rolf:

I typically find myself around 4.3s, 4.0s, or other v8s. So that's not too shabby but I totally know what you're talking about. :D

tonybolton said:
Right...I guess that reads wrong, or I just left out the "I don't think a stock 4cyl motor would be much fun other than gas sipping". Maybe a Neon SRT 4 motor or some sort F.I. 4cyl would be cool(er).

alscotts turbo 22r motor turns his 14bolts just fine from what I've seen. I've been in Toyota groups with 4 n/a 4 bangers and it was brutal watching tread blocks turn for 10 minutes...moving 2 inches at a time.

A 200HP 4.0, 4.3, or 3.4 is downright rowdy compared to 22R. The extra torque helps a LOT when keeping big tires spinning.

I had to winch up all the muddy hills at windrock that day I rode with y'all. Tire might have a bit to do with that though.

If you're running a NA 4cylinder, your better be running some decent tread tires if you're gonna try to ride when it's any wetter than drought conditions.

I don't have a clue bout toy engines/transmissions, but wouldn't be opposed to swapping one in.

Toyota have a good auto? Non electronic?

TBItoy said:
I had to winch up all the muddy hills at windrock that day I rode with y'all. Tire might have a bit to do with that though.

If you're running a NA 4cylinder, your better be running some decent tread tires if you're gonna try to ride when it's any wetter than drought conditions.

Think once I get the new axles under the current rig or build/buy a new one 37 sticky treps will be my tire of choice.

Red97 said:
I don't have a clue bout toy engines/transmissions, but wouldn't be opposed to swapping one in.

Toyota have a good auto? Non electronic?

It's electronic, but there are shifters available to manually control the solenoids.

Best setup is to use an jeep AW4 with a Toyota bell housing and converter, then run a Dana 300 tcase.

TBItoy said:
It's electronic, but there are shifters available to manually control the solenoids.

Best setup is to use an jeep AW4 with a Toyota bell housing and converter, then run a Dana 300 tcase.

Thank you.

I'll have to do some research/parts looking to see what availability looks like.

tonybolton said:
I've been in Toyota groups with 4 n/a 4 bangers and it was brutal watching tread blocks turn for 10 minutes...moving 2 inches at a time.

forgot to add while sounding like they are 7k rpms ;D

tonybolton said:
Not taking anything away from them...they're goin' rigs. Made things I haven't before.

yep. was funny because I could picture exactly what you were talking about (lugs barely spinning to where you could count them)

Well, think I'm just gonna stick with the wee pow fo now.

Try and take it out a few more times this year. Figure out what I really want in a rig.

Thanks for all the advice.

Red97 said:
Think once I get the new axles under the current rig or build/buy a new one 37 sticky treps will be my tire of choice.

I have the world's worst set of 37 sticky treps for sale right now! You probably need them. They actually did work good once aired down last time at Bundy.

mckeddie said:
I have the world's worst set of 37 sticky treps for sale right now! You probably need them. They actually did work good once aired down last time at Bundy.

Hmm world's worst set almost sounds budget friendly. Link?

Wonder how much I would have to tip toe with sticky 37's and sami front..

Red97 said:
Hmm world's worst set almost sounds budget friendly. Link?

Wonder how much I would have to tip toe with sticky 37's and sami front..

And Treps weigh like 420lbs each. :****:

I had a set of 37 treps on trail gear creeper locks and they weighed about 140lbs a piece.

Re: Re: To Weepow or not?

TBItoy said:
And Treps weigh like 420lbs each. :****:

I had a set of 37 treps on trail gear creeper locks and they weighed about 140lbs a piece.
X2. Any of the other stickies are going to be better suited than treps for a 4cyl.

2cf257805bbcd08c77402280d7e04aa9.jpg

These are probably still 70lb ea lol

I'll have to look but I think they make reds in 35's?

They are heavier than I thought, but does the weight translate to durability?

Latest posts