• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Delimma ( Resolved )

Re: Re: Re: Tow Rig Delimma

onepieceatatime said:
Do you try pulling with yours in overdrive? I have 3.42 also and found I get better mileage if I just put it in third and let it run. Guess it saves fuel by not trying to build itself back up to OD.

I know you are talking half ton, but I read somewhere while towing with the 6.0 LQ4 that some folks thought it be a good idea to pull in 3rd and not overdrive, but that ended up not being true, due to it being easier on the torque converter allowing it to go into overdrive, just use tow mode. But I understand 5.3's are different due to less power.

Also, you mentioned the hp of the 5.3L HO being relatively close to the 6.0. I am unfamiliar off hand with the real life specs of either, but does it make near as much torque? I would bet the 6.0 has a good bit more torque, which is comes into play while towing.

What you need to do is find a 6.0L 2500HD on a car lot, say yer gonna take it for a test drive, go home, hook yer truck and trailer up, and try it out. Then make yer decision :****:

Re: Tow Rig Delimma

A 6.0 will work fine, the one I had just pissed me off cause mileage sucked and didn't pull any better than a 5.3. It handled it better just because it's a more heavy duty truck. I figured if I got crap mileage I might as well have the big block. And tell you the truth mileage is not that much different between the two.
The problem, like you said, can't find a 8.1 is true. I was at the parts store looking up a oil filter and saw that only 20% of the 2500 trucks had the 8.1 , so the odds of finding a loaded or non long bed that has been hooked to a 5th wheel camper for life is slim to none.
If you don't use 4x4 much in your tow rig, I think there are a few more 2x4 8.1 trucks out there, but most are long bed from what I've seen

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
The 5.3HO was rated at 315hp 338 ftlbs

Probably close to the same numbers as the later LQ4's then. I briefly browsed but couldn't find specs on my specific year model for comparison. I'm at work and semi-busy tonight molaugh

I towed for years with a half ton and two years ago bought a 2013 2500hd with the 6.0L. I have friends with diesels but couldn't convince myself to buy one. The truck tows my 5500 jeep on a single great and tows my boat well too. Night and day difference than my half ton. My buddy has an 01 2500hd with an 8.1/alison and there really isn't much difference in the two. The 6 speed helps out quite a bit over the old 4 speed. Only issues is the mileage, I get an average of 12.8 combined on my 40 mile round trip to work. half country driving/city, half highway. It wil get 17ish at about 65-70 on the highway cruising, and gets a sold 10 towing my jeep.

Re: Re:

onepieceatatime said:
The 5.3HO was rated at 315hp 338 ftlbs
My 6.0 is rated at 360hp and 380 tq. Not a huge difference but overall I think you would see a big difference just in having a truck that is built for towing. The suspension and brakes make a world of diffrence

Re:

Yeah that's what I'm most excited about. I'm sure I could get a tune to help get some more power and all but just having a bigger truck will feel better. A few of the places I go have some rough roads in and I was always nervous I was going to break something or that the trailer and jeep were gonna make me it's bitch and push me somewhere I didn't wanna be so I had to be super careful. Which isn't in my nature.

Re: Re:

09zkrankin said:
My 6.0 is rated at 360hp and 380 tq. Not a huge difference but overall I think you would see a big difference just in having a truck that is built for towing. The suspension and brakes make a world of diffrence

x2

yjwrangler95 said:
I towed for years with a half ton and two years ago bought a 2013 2500hd with the 6.0L. I have friends with diesels but couldn't convince myself to buy one. The truck tows my 5500 jeep on a single great and tows my boat well too. Night and day difference than my half ton. My buddy has an 01 2500hd with an 8.1/alison and there really isn't much difference in the two. The 6 speed helps out quite a bit over the old 4 speed. Only issues is the mileage, I get an average of 12.8 combined on my 40 mile round trip to work. half country driving/city, half highway. It wil get 17ish at about 65-70 on the highway cruising, and gets a sold 10 towing my jeep.

Dang, y'all makin' me want one of them new 6.0L trucks now! :****:

85buggy said:
I towed some with a half ton. I'd hate to no I had to go back
After towing with a 2500 no comparison. Imo

I feel the same way. Towed a 16ft with a sas s10 blazer to hpo and the pulling is fine either way. The stopping on the other hand was a handful with the 1/2 and a piece of cake with the 3/4. I now have a larger trailer with brakes but my box is acting up but does not affect the stopping much over the 16ft.

I traded my 03 cummins for my 07 silverado , I came to the realization that I don't need a huge diesel truck to pull a jeep and trailer.

Joe Eck

Re:

What about the heater in diesels? One of my best friends has an 06 dmax LLY and always complains about the length of time it takes for the heater to get hot. When it's really cold, he drives his old beater 98 z71 to work so he has good heat.

My 01 cummins heater sucked and it wouldn't take nothing for it to cool off if you ever got it warm. My 06 works great. Has built in high idle so when it's cold warms up quick. No knowledge on dmax but know that diesels are notorious about heat.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
What about the heater in diesels? One of my best friends has an 06 dmax LLY and always complains about the length of time it takes for the heater to get hot. When it's really cold, he drives his old beater 98 z71 to work so he has good heat.

Sounds dumb but check the coolant level, I just went through this. Didn't think it was low, end up adding 3/4 gallon, heat works awesome! It started doing the same before.

I had an 07 F250 6.0 for a few years, never had an issue with the heat. I wish I still had that truck

Re:

Don't know about the diesels, but on my gas truck I can hit the remote start 5-10 Mims before I get in it and I have to turn the damn heat off when I get in it warms up so fast

I did forget about the vortec max trucks. You would probably pay more for one vs. A regular ol 2500 6.0 rig.
I've never been in one but they would probably do ok. Isnt the max a 6.2l and the 6l80?

My old 2000 5.3 half ton did all right pulling. The original trans made it to 180k and most of those miles were pulling boats all over the country. I think hauling in 3rd gear helped a lot.

My new truck has the LT 5.3 rated at 355hp and 383 ft lbs. It amazed me the first time I hauled with it. The 6 speed trans is a huge improvement and the extra HP doesn't hurt anything. Like others have said already, having a bigger truck would be nice for braking but with functioning trailer brakes its not an issue.

whiskeymakin said:
I did forget about the vortec max trucks. You would probably pay more for one vs. A regular ol 2500 6.0 rig.
I've never been in one but they would probably do ok. Isnt the max a 6.2l and the 6l80?

The older Vortec max trucks had a LQ9 which is a higher compression version of the standard 6.0L LQ4. I could be wrong but I think they quit calling them vortec max by the time the 6.2L was available.

whiskeymakin said:

6.0L LQ9 :dblthumb:

From Wiki:

"The Silverado Performance Edition option (also known as the VHO by some enthusiasts) was first introduced in 2004 to a limited market (mainly consisting of Texas and several surrounding areas); it was available nationwide for MY 2005-07. The SPE package (under option code B4V) included several options previously not found on the standard 1500 model, most notably the LQ9 6.0 L V-8 engine (the same used for the Silverado SS, the 2005-2006 GMC Denalis and the Cadillac Escalade). The LQ9 motor was rated at 345 hp (257 kW) at 5200 rpm and 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm, which was the same specifications shared in the SS models. The B4V package could only be ordered on extended cab standard box 2WD trucks. They were all built at the Canadian assembly plant and were equipped with the Z60 High Performance suspension package, in addition to the M32 = 4L65E transmission, GT4 = 3.73 rear gear, and G80 Gov Lock as standard equipment."

85toyo said:
The older Vortec max trucks had a LQ9 which is a higher compression version of the standard 6.0L LQ4. I could be wrong but I think they quit calling them vortec max by the time the 6.2L was available.

I believe this is correct.

Re:

Had a buddy with one. Sweet trucks hard to find and I think more expensive. They had a 6.0 but it wasn't an LQ4 and I don't think an LQ9 either. Thought I read something about it being from GM's Holden Division.