• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota 3.0 V6

J_SIN

I've always heard they are known for blowing headgaskets, but other then that how are they? do they have much more power/torque then the 22RE? MPG?

how bad is it to change the head gaskets? I'm fairly good with a wrench but not a great mechanic by any means.

I've always heard they are known for blowing headgaskets, but other then that how are they? do they have much more power/torque then the 22RE? MPG?
No. Power kicks in at about 3500 RPMs and they make more, but not a whole lot. Kinda fun, but still nothing amazing. Until then, they feel just like a 22RE to me, maybe even a little less powerful. Mine stock in a stock 5 speed 4Runner gets 18 MPG.

how bad is it to change the head gaskets? I'm fairly good with a wrench but not a great mechanic by any means.
I dont even want to change the oil in mine. I would suggest pulling the motor and sticking it on a stand to do it. At least I would. I swapped the engine into my truck, and Ive had it down to a long block in the process swapping intakes around, etc, and I couldnt imagine doing that stuff to that turd in the engine bay if I didnt have to.

~T.J.

Last edited:
The only crappy part about doing head gaskets on a 3.0 still in the truck is A) getting to the bolts that hold the crossover pipe that runs between the firewall and the back of the motor and B) remembering to get all the lines, plugs, wiring, hoses, etc hooked back up correctly to the intake manifold after you put it all back together.

The rest is cake, as long as your heads aren't warped, cracked, burnt valves, etc.

Besides all of that, the 3.0 doesn't have much more power than the 22re, and the fuel mileage is worse. They're a little more hairball to work on than the 22re (see above about the intake manifold), which isn't saying a ton because the 22re is so damned simple to work on.

Overall get up and go is not much more than the 4 popper. Torque is definatly there compared to one but for the shitty mileage I wouldnt say its worth it. If you got one blow it up and pop a 3.4 in there. Thats the only upside I see to owning the 3.0 is the tranny bolts up to a 3.4:haha:

If it says anything, i had a 3.0....im with a 22re now:redneck: And they are stupid easy to work on:hi:

:gay: They don't call it the 3.slow for nothing. Like any motor they can be reliable but unlike most other Yota engines the 3.0 needs lots of attention. :mad:

I have blowed up less 3.0s than 4 poppers. I can only kill them if rolled over and started with oil filled jugs.:mad:

It dont take much to keep your coolant from eating the heads away.

its funny how loyal 4 banger folks are. other than the shitty mileage, 3.0s work fine.

4 popper guys will blame a warped head for a bad gasket when the cooling ports are eat out just like a sixer. but wont warn folks that 22r are junky head gasket eatin piles also.

I will say I back off of the throttle on both 4 banger toys I have cuz the rattling low end scares me, yet I have had three 3.slow wheelers that got driven on the rev limmiter most of thier life. I have never killed a 3.0 lowend from abuse only bad maintenance.:beer:

I have blowed up less 3.0s than 4 poppers. I can only kill them if rolled over and started with oil filled jugs.:mad:

It dont take much to keep your coolant from eating the heads away.

its funny how loyal 4 banger folks are. other than the shitty mileage, 3.0s work fine.

4 popper guys will blame a warped head for a bad gasket when the cooling ports are eat out just like a sixer. but wont warn folks that 22r are junky head gasket eatin piles also.

I will say I back off of the throttle on both 4 banger toys I have cuz the rattling low end scares me, yet I have had three 3.slow wheelers that got driven on the rev limmiter most of thier life. I have never killed a 3.0 lowend from abuse only bad maintenance.:beer:

There is a reason why TOYOTA recalled the 3.0 HG. If the 22r series has such bad HG like you say then why haven't they been called as well? I've owned every 2nd-3rd gen yota motor made and IMO the 22r/re are the best, not just for quality but ease of working on. It's known that the 22r needs a timing chain every 80k :; and a HG every 150k, however it takes much less time on my 4banger then it does on the v6. :puke:

See ya tonight Mike!:fawkdancesmiley:

What's happening tonight? You guys got a little guy on guy action planned. I want in!

Oh... and because this is a thread about 3.0 toyota V6's, I know where there's a CHERRY '88 standard cab, base model truck for sale with the 3.0 V6. It's got a "High-Standard Auto" rebuilt 3.0 V6 in it, some mismatched 265's on it, and a very noisy valvetrain. It's red. :redneck:

Latest posts