• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota 3.0

Cole1

Who here is familiar with working on the toyota 3.0 v6? Im about to sell my Jetta and want to makesure the 3.0 is running top notch since ill be driving from bellevue to north bend 5 times a week for work with it.

Im mainely lookig for a shop to just look through it andlet me know what needed to be done and if its a good price to do the work.

Who here is familiar with working on the toyota 3.0 v6? Im about to sell my Jetta and want to makesure the 3.0 is running top notch since ill be driving from bellevue to north bend 5 times a week for work with it.

Im mainely lookig for a shop to just look through it andlet me know what needed to be done and if its a good price to do the work.

really man.... come on wanna use my compression tester. a shop is just going to rape you. your livin on a prayer with a 3.0

Any good shop is going to charge him 1 hour labor for a buyers inspection. Compression gauge also don't tell the whole story.

Any good shop is going to charge him 1 hour labor for a buyers inspection. Compression gauge also don't tell the whole story.

This...
But I gotta ask, Why sell the Jetta, and keep the toy???? The Jetta's gotta better on fuel...:corn:

This...
But I gotta ask, Why sell the Jetta, and keep the toy???? The Jetta's gotta better on fuel...:corn:

Well....The jetta is a POS:puke: everything is $$$ to replace and the motor is knocking like a son of a bitch. The speedo/tach work when they want which is when the car is "cold" Long story short I hate that car:awesomework:

That 3.0 is arguably Toyota's worst V6 engine.

****ING FACT!

I have always been on the bandwagon of hatred towards that engine for all for all of it's issues but I never had any hands on wrenching experience. I started working on one this passed weekend and if it's the last one I deal with I'll die happy. The smart group of engineers and designers that came up with the 4ag, R series and M series must have all retired when the 3vze came about. I hope the little slant eye'd ****s that designed the 3.0 all drowned in the aftermath of the earthquakes. :mad:

I'd sell the rig with the 3.0 while it is still running and buy pretty much anything else... :awesomework:

****ING FACT!

I have always been on the bandwagon of hatred towards that engine for all for all of it's issues but I never had any hands on wrenching experience. I started working on one this passed weekend and if it's the last one I deal with I'll die happy. The smart group of engineers and designers that came up with the 4ag, R series and M series must have all retired when the 3vze came about. I hope the little slant eye'd ****s that designed the 3.0 all drowned in the aftermath of the earthquakes. :mad:

I'd sell the rig with the 3.0 while it is still running and buy pretty much anything else... :awesomework:

So you don't like the 3.0? :eeek:

So you don't like the 3.0? :eeek:

What makes you think that? I love that engine, it is designed so it is extremely user friendly to work on and there is so few vacuum lines you hardly notice them. All the bolts are easy to get to and the power steering system that also doubles as a hydroboost for the abs is a stellar idea that is such a joy to get all the bolts out of it made rainbows and unicorns fly out of my ass. :awesomework:

****ING FACT!

:haha: Harsh.

I think that Toyota was trying to get a truck with a V6 out quickly and didn't do a good job designing this turd.

The 3.4 is much better. I don't think 218K is too bad if it has been maintained. My friend went close to 300K on her 3.4 4Runner.

I love my 3.0 in my 2wd pu. There a fine engine. The issues I've seen are people putting cheap parts on them or being a back yard mechanic who had no right to work on the engine in the first place. Then bitch and moan callin it a piece o sh*t. I've seen plenty come through with over 200k. If it had the recall done on it back in the day, it could very well outlast a 22r/re.

I love my 3.0 in my 2wd pu. There a fine engine. The issues I've seen are people putting cheap parts on them or being a back yard mechanic who had no right to work on the engine in the first place. Then bitch and moan callin it a piece o sh*t. I've seen plenty come through with over 200k. If it had the recall done on it back in the day, it could very well outlast a 22r/re.

Hell I haven't even gone inside this engine yet just removing it to put in another rig. This will be #3 for that truck and it is street driven by a chick. It has all the "fixes" that are supposed to keep them alive too. Headers, large radiator, increased head bolt torque etc. POS engines to deal with so you can have all of them you can handle trust me, no one will be fighting you for them. :flipoff:

Hell I haven't even gone inside this engine yet just removing it to put in another rig. This will be #3 for that truck and it is street driven by a chick. It has all the "fixes" that are supposed to keep them alive too. Headers, large radiator, increased head bolt torque etc. POS engines to deal with so you can have all of them you can handle trust me, no one will be fighting you for them. :flipoff:

Sounds like its masking a real issue

Sounds like its masking a real issue

It sure is, all that **** is attached to the real issue and that is the engine itself! :haha: Dealer recalls were all done after she bought it. Gasket blew again and took a head with it. Got headers, larger radiator and a body lift (to keep it cool apparently since it's still on 31's) with the freshly rebuilt engine and now she has a 5 cylinder. Not sure what happened and I don't give a **** to look since I didn't do the work in the first place but I know a couple good mechanics have gone over it and all signs point to a burnt valve.

I picked up a 93 runner off of here with 200k on it and I'm putting it in her rig. Not sure of it's history but it does run nice and smooth. I'll never work on one again if I can help it though. NOTHING is thought out well or easy to access with the engine in place. To adjust the power steering belt the battery needs to come out because they put the fawking adjuster bolt in from the backside. :eeek: The a/c compressor needs to come out to get to the motormount bolts. The exhaust crossover design is ****ing terrible at best, ultra restrictive and in the way of the bellhousing bolts. I am not looking forward to swapping wiring harnesses either and I'm marking all 284938732 of the vacuum lines so one of them doesn't get crossed up and throw a CEL. :rolleyes: