• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota 3.4 Tech

Clark

will 97-2004 toyota 3.4 engines be interchangable? could i stick a 99 3.4 in a 2003 truck? or stick a 2003 engine in a 99? Will it swap in with all the accessories, or just the longblocks interchange? OR are the incompatible? what about if one truck is auto, and one is stickshift?

If anyone knows, i would appreciate any advice you can give.:beer

I think it's 95.5-02 and then the 03 is a drive by wire system? So intheory any of the earlier models should bolt right in.

Yeah, i think 03 is DBW. All that DBW should swap over to a non DBW longblock though right? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Swapping long blocks should work.
The e-throttle and ignition systems are a little different.
Mechanically, I'm 99% sure they are the same.

Hi All:

The engine computers are programmed differently for the standard versus automatic transmissions.

A buddy is swapping a 3.4L into an '89 with a 22RE and five-speed. Unfortunately the 3.4L is from a truck with the auto tranny, so he is having to figure-out how to make the V-6 run corrected with a standard transmission.

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

Please let me know what he ends up doing, i've got a buddy swapping a 3.4 into a 3.0L v6 5speed, and he will be encountering the same issue with an AT engine, and Manual trans.

Clark

Hi All:

Clark, let me pick my friend's brain a bit and I'll try to get back to you (and the forum) as to what he had to do to make it work.

Regards,

Alan