• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota clutch options and advise

CarnationSensation

Went down to elbe this weekend for about 30 min of weeling and then my clutch took a **** on me. Guess its about time with 180K miles and it still being stock.

Heres where i need some advise. Is it worth it to step up to a nicer clutch say from Marlin Crawler where they are "built for weelin and crawlin"? Or should i just stick with a stock one? Truck is only driven on the trail and i cant imagine ill even put over 5K miles on it in the next 5 years. Do the upgraded clutches last that much longer and are they worth it?

Rig is an 89 pickup with the 3.0, so i need sumthin to withstand the huge amounts of HP this thing puts out!

Thanks for the input. :beer:

I run the Marlin clutch and am very happy with it. A lot more holding power than stock but the pedal still feels good.
I was in the snow for 10 hours yesterday and my leg didn't get sore.

Its not about better performance from a better clutch.

The truth in the matter is that the STOCK clutch is the best you can get. marlin sells STOCK clutches. He offers the STOCK clutches in different weights of springs. Its about quality and reliability.

The quality of the marlin clutches is superior to parts store garbage. They are Aisin/Seco clutch kits.

They cost extra because they have a OEM supplied disc/pr plate and jap throwout bearing.

Now, its not the mileage thats shitty on the garbage parts store kits. Its the quality. I have tore out a half dozen that have had disc/spring damage. The friction material looked perfect in ALL failures. The discs come apart or the springs fall out or the TO bearing is JUNK.

Marlin sells Aisin/Seco kits like toyota will. Either hit up marlin, the dealer, or the interweb and get a Aisin/Seco kit.

Mines been in for about ten, about three of the years were spent in the rocks of AZ, the 42s are putting it to the test,though still has not slipped but I got a spare dual siting on the shelf for when it does.

Mines been in for about ten, about three of the years were spent in the rocks of AZ, the 42s are putting it to the test,though still has not slipped but I got a spare dual siting on the shelf for when it does.

Rods doesnt slip, but it acts like its falling apart or the TO bearing has gone thro the fingers.

He has it ready to drop out, I just need to take him the tranny jack.

Its worked fin till now with no slipping issues.

Is a centorforce going to be a lot better than one from Marlin?

Where would be a good place to get one, a quick look at 4 wheel pats puts a dual friction centerforce at around $450. I can get 2 from Marlin for that price. Will the dual friction last 2 times as long or will it all just depend on my driving style?

They have the regular one for about $300. Will the regular centerforce be much stronger than the "stock" Marlin ones?

I dont mind pulling the tranny so if i have to replace it in a couple years again that is fine.

Would you reccomend replacing the flywheel? I have not pulled the tranny yet so i dont know what its looking like but even if its ok should i replace just to be safe?

Thanks for the help so far!

Stock disc with a heavier pressure plate from marlin or other reputable supplier.
Not parts store cheap stuff.
Not center force.
Marlin kits are great.

Last edited:
Stock disc with a heavier pressure plate from marlin or other reputable supplier.
Not parts store cheap stuff.
Not center force.
Marlin kits are great.

This^^^

I have not noticed that the centerofrce is any better or lasts longer than a OEM.

Not saying CF is not good, I just dont see any gain for the extra money. Centerforce uses a EXPENSIVE TO bearing to.

Marlin clutch or a new one from Toyota. If you go with the Toyota clutch buy the new part, not the rebuilt one.

Dual friction from centerforce in the toy flavor are junk.

I ran centerforce II and loved it and so did many buddies over the years with no failures.

I ran a ceramic clutch kit from TrailGear a few years back. It was cheap and held up well for the 3 years I wheeled it.

It did seem to grab differently than a standard clutch kit, but it didn't fade away at all when it got hot.

What about the Aisin/Seco offered by Trail Gear? A little cheaper than the Marlin kit. Curious because I'm gonna be doing an auto to manual swap soon and I was planning on the TG kit. Is the Marlin kit better because it comes with a heavier pressure plate?

That's something I wouldn't really try to save a few bucks on. Marlins kit has been around for a while and it's proven. Just my .02

Dual friction from centerforce in the toy flavor are junk.

I ran centerforce II and loved it and so did many buddies over the years with no failures.

I don't think they make a stage II for yota, I think they have an upgraded stock and dual friction

What about the Aisin/Seco offered by Trail Gear? A little cheaper than the Marlin kit. Curious because I'm gonna be doing an auto to manual swap soon and I was planning on the TG kit. Is the Marlin kit better because it comes with a heavier pressure plate?

The first thing I noticed in TG pics were a disc with 4 springs. The marlin pics show 5 springs.

Marlin has been selling those clutches since before TG existed.

I have also had customers complain that the TG ones were always backordered and went with marlin cuz it was in stock.