• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota electric locker ?

bigs10blazer

i have a chance to get a electric factory locker for a toyota, i need one for the front, its welded now, i hate it,
electric locker good ? close to the strength of a arb ? problems ?

I have heard that it is common that they have trouble with one of the side gears. Think it has something to do with the way the side gear engages to lock. The ARB and the Elocker are both going to give you the same feel as if its welded when they are engaged. IMHO You are probably better off spending your money on a high pinion 3rd if its for the front, and then just throw a aussie or spartan locker in it as long as you are still running the stock 4cyl, and tires smaller than 38's. You could probably do 39's if its a lightweight buggy.

I'm running an ELocker from a 98 4runner in my IFS rear housing. Prior to installing it I sent the side gears out to Bobby Long for a cryo/heat treatment. My rig is around the 2,500lb weight class with approx. 100hp and 39.5's. I haven't had the first issue with it.

Just be aware that if you go with the ELocker you'll have to modify the mounting flange to accept it so you couldn't go back to a standard 3rd since it wouldnt seal...and the bolt holes would no longer line up. The other thing about the ELocker compared to other lockers like the ARB is that it doesn't disengage "immediately". You have to hold the button down to wind up the clock spring...then when the axle isnt bound up the clock spring will disengage the lock collar. Being a front axle I think I'd get aggravated with the ELocker setup...at least the toyota version anyway.

jordan7118 said:
Another vote for a HP third and Aussie / Lock Right / Spartan :woot:

Only if you get a V6 carrier to swap in at the same time.

HP lunchbox lockers are the same as 4 cyl. You'll break the crosspin.... Several times.... Before anything else lets go.

My whole toyota crew runs HP 3rds with v6 carriers and lunchbox lockers. 1 Spartan, 1 Aussie, and 1 Lock-right

My old 4Runner has a HP with v6 carrier and lockright in the the front, and a v6 3rd with Aussie in the back. It's broke 2 longs and 1 rear ring and pinion, no locker damage

I like the Spartan the best, bigger pins and springs.

this is a v6 3.0 rig 88 toy on 36s
3400 pounds truggy , it does have the 6cyl third up front, and welded now , we turned the axle when we put it in , so we really dont need the hi pinion, there isnt much drive shaft angle, and the drive shaft doesnt hang too low, , hi pinion would always be better !

also, when we put the six banger gears up front, we used the 6 cylinder carrier, the 4 cylinder gears had smaller bearings, will the arb from a 4 cylinder work ?

Re: Re: toyota electric locker ?

bigs10blazer said:
also, when we put the six banger gears up front, we used the 6 cylinder carrier, the 4 cylinder gears had smaller bearings, will the arb from a 4 cylinder work ?

Measure the carrier bearing journals on the ARB, if its 50mm you can get bearings that will work. If its 45mm you'll have to make a bushing to upsize to 50mm.

After a certain date, all Toyota ARBs have 50mm, so you just have to measure.

Reason for this is:
You can't get a bearing with a 45mm ID that will work in a V6 or HP 3rd member... But you can get a bearing with 50mm ID that will work in a 4cyl 3rd member.

bigs10blazer said:
this is a v6 3.0 rig 88 toy on 36s
3400 pounds truggy , it does have the 6cyl third up front, and welded now , we turned the axle when we put it in , so we really dont need the hi pinion, there isnt much drive shaft angle, and the drive shaft doesnt hang too low, , hi pinion would always be better !

Just remember that the big advantage of the hi Pinion is the fact that the gears are on the drive side instead of the coast side. Even though your drive shaft angle is good it sucks to break a front R&P on the trail. In my experience with running a Low Pinion with an ARB locker, the R&P became the weak link. Kind of comes down to what you want your fuse to be.

TBItoy said:
Only if you get a V6 carrier to swap in at the same time.

HP lunchbox lockers are the same as 4 cyl. You'll break the crosspin.... Several times.... Before anything else lets go.

My whole toyota crew runs HP 3rds with v6 carriers and lunchbox lockers. 1 Spartan, 1 Aussie, and 1 Lock-right

My old 4Runner has a HP with v6 carrier and lockright in the the front, and a v6 3rd with Aussie in the back. It's broke 2 longs and 1 rear ring and pinion, no locker damage

I like the Spartan the best, bigger pins and springs.
I agree!

The HP are goofy in that they use V6 carrier bearings (bigger than 4cyl) and 4cyl 2-pinion spiders (V6 are 4-pinion). I have a V6 open carrier and V6 Lock-Right to swap into mine when I pull the E-locker.

Just clarifying the differences in case people are scratching their heads.