• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Exhaust Gaskets

82toyomud

I've got an 82 22R, with a couple stipped bolts. I did a search and read somewhere that toyota OEM gaskets are the "better" ones to buy? Also, what kind of torque and torque sequence do you put them through... I have a helicoil kit to fix the bolts, but i don't want to re-stip them when i'm reassembling... Also, are there any clearance or general issues i should watch for with running an OEM gasket with a header? I know the manifold surfaces are a little different, but the bolt holes are the same...

kris

Didn't you strip those bolts like 3 years ago?

AFAIK, the 'sequence' for a header is just to tighten them as evenly as possible to avoid (as much as possible) warping the flange. Maybe somebody else has better experience with this though...

At least for Cruiser motors, the header flanges are notoriously tough to seal well, so a lot of guys double up the OEM Toyota gaskets and have had better success. There's not that much backpressure there - especially with your exhaust, so the thicker gasket shouldn't cause any problems.

p.s. got your VM, but Karen's surgery was Monday and I've been running crazy the past few days. Good job. :awesomework:

Didn't you strip those bolts like 3 years ago?

AFAIK, the 'sequence' for a header is just to tighten them as evenly as possible to avoid (as much as possible) warping the flange. Maybe somebody else has better experience with this though...

At least for Cruiser motors, the header flanges are notoriously tough to seal well, so a lot of guys double up the OEM Toyota gaskets and have had better success. There's not that much backpressure there - especially with your exhaust, so the thicker gasket shouldn't cause any problems.

p.s. got your VM, but Karen's surgery was Monday and I've been running crazy the past few days. Good job. :awesomework:

Yeah, i fixed those, and their holding fine, but a couple others let go...