• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Front Winch Bumper Measurment Help

84Toyota4x4

If you have a Marlin Crawler, All-Pro, Trail-Gear, Badlands, built by whoever, or whatever bumper, could you do me a favor? Im looking for a measurement from the bottom of the front cross member area (with all the holes in it) to the surface which your winch mounts on. NOT the bottom of the spring hanger.

See the picture for a reference of what the hell Im talking about. Anyone who isnt too lazy, and would actually go measure is appreciated. Im trying to get a feel for the "average" height, thus the average rotational torque load that front crossmember is seeing...

~T.J.

EDIT: Yes, I realize this is not scientific since a lot of bumpers build in supports that go under the body mounts and such, not to mention variance in cable pull height. Im just trying to work something out in my head and this would help a lot.

Last edited:
Mine looks to be right about 4.5" with the Marlin model on an 81.

Thanks a lot dude, now I'm fawking cold :fawkdancesmiley:

Yeah, insomnia is a bitch. I went to bed shortly after this to try and sleep again, but still didn't get to sleep until after 2 AM.

Thanks a lot for the measurement! Anyone else who is willing to do it would be great! Especially if you have a bumper other than a Marlin.

~T.J.

EDIT: Does your marlin have the braces that go under the body mounts?

Yeah, insomnia is a bitch. I went to bed shortly after this to try and sleep again, but still didn't get to sleep until after 2 AM.

Thanks a lot for the measurement! Anyone else who is willing to do it would be great! Especially if you have a bumper other than a Marlin.

~T.J.

EDIT: Does your marlin have the braces that go under the body mounts?

Yes it does, and the extra bracing right by the sides of the winch plate, off the main bar that weld to the cross member. as far as I can tell, it's allmost exactly like the one you have in the picture.

dejavu huh T.J.:fawkdancesmiley:

p.s. hows work going??:haha:
I never doubted you, I agreed it was the best way. :awesomework:

Im just trying to figure out how much worse mine is than the "average" mount. I tried to keep it low originally since I ultimately want the winch recessed below the top of the bumper. It actually doesnt look too much worse, since its only about an inch higher. Although, that works out to about 700 ft lbs more torque with an 8,000 lb load on that front cross member rotationally of course (and assuming no other bracing).

Anyway, I have some really good ideas for bracing the front crossmember, as well as the front spring hanger. I have a feeling that rebuilding the mount with the improvements Im making will be rather strong and work just fine.

~T.J.

PS - Work is dandy. Blackberrys are great for surfing the web on lunch :D

EDIT: Also got the rear shocks installed tonight finally in the midst of messing with the front winch mount ideas.

Last edited: