• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota lift ??

BamaReno

Hey guys, getting ready to start tinkering with an old toyota and i have a few questions about lifts.

Im starting with an 81 long bed, it has what appears to be a three inch lift and 35s.. to say the least, this lift sucks!! No flex and it will beat you to pieces. Im wanting to change it out for a kit that offers a better ride and more flex but also be streetable. Not necessarily DD but drive around and to the woods and what not.

My previous truck was a 92 sas w/ 5" tg lift and big shackles.. it was great off road but would put you in a ditch over 35 mph on pavement. I know road manners are sacrificed with lift but id like to be able to run 50-55 and not be white knuckled and all over the road lol

Ive searched around and figured a 4" kit would be best w/ 35s but havent came across anything that compares one brand of lift to another, so im needing some advice as to which company offers the best lift to suit this truck.

Also, how much lift can i get away with before having to lengthen drive shafts?

Thanks in advance for any and all help thumb.gif

Your last truck must not have been set up right at all. A TG leaf spring kit drives fine suspension wise.

Any lift/flex at all and you'll have to run a long slip front driveshaft to keep it from pulling apart (unless you swap it to front shackles).

it could have.. the suspension on that truck was done by PO. That truck had a v6 with HD springs but switched back to 4 banger with one spring removed from the front to soften it up. it was in my mind that that was one issue but i didnt keep it long enough to get in To it

So a 4" tg lift should be fine? This 81 Drives fairly well minus the old, outta balance tires... i even thought about a 3" suspension w/ 2" body lift. Thougts? I want to stay with a 35 but not opposed to 33s if it will help drive abililty.

Thanks for the help, just dont want to buy an expensive lift And have the same issues my other truck had

Thanks again.. i plan on getting started on this soon as ive got all my parts. Ill start and thread and post pics :smoke: