• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota power steering getting rough!

Dubshot

Just curious if it would be the pump or box.. Started out good now it seems to be harder like manual steering when the wheels are closer to pointing straight ahead, but when I'm turning left to right.. Actually moves my leaf springs it seams before it wants to turn..

Just curious if it would be the pump or box.. Started out good now it seems to be harder like manual steering when the wheels are closer to pointing straight ahead, but when I'm turning left to right.. Actually moves my leaf springs it seams before it wants to turn..

If it matters where the box is pointing then its the box. The power steering pump is dumb so to speak and doesn't care where the tires are turned :awesomework:

It also blew the seal on the pressure line pump side.. Had to replace it only to find the power steering is worst.. I used ATF if that matters as well.. I was hoping it wasn't the box but I think it's a sky rebuild lol.

I would unhook the draglink and put the front up on a jack and turn the wheels back and forth by hand and see if its bound up or hard to turn.

If its easy to turn then your leaf spring bushings are shot.

Also check for a bent steering stabilizer as well.

Bushings are new and im pretty sure the stabilizer isn't bent. Jacked up the wheels turn fine with the rig off.. Would that be the same as if i took off the drag link??This all came after the leak happened btw

Ok I'll give it a whirl don't see why it wouldn't restrict the turning with the engine off and jacked up?

When the tires are off the ground the stabilizer is still moving. If it is bent or seized then your steering could be tough from the restricted stabilizer.

When the tires are off the ground the stabilizer is still moving. If it is bent or seized then your steering could be tough from the restricted stabilizer.

But he said it isn't hard to turn now with it on. Sounds like the axle side of things is fine. If the only thing you worked on was the pump, and that's when your problem started, go back and check your work.

Could a leaky hose fry the pump or box? Yes jacked up it's easy to turn with engine off.. Running it turns super easy..

But he said it isn't hard to turn now with it on. Sounds like the axle side of things is fine. If the only thing you worked on was the pump, and that's when your problem started, go back and check your work.

I just wanted him to eliminate that before replacing parts and tearing stuff apart. I have made that mistake a few times. If the stabilizer is not the problem then i would assume the box. Have you messed with the box at all?

What do you mean mess with the box? The only thing I did was replace a pressure line.. The thing would whine and howl if I would start it and the pump was dry.. Might have something to do with it

If you try to adjust a steering box on your own and are not sure how to do it then you can fawk it up pretty bad. From what i see you might just need to replace stuff. It sounds like a steering box but i could be wrong. Diagnosing is hard, even harder when you are not physically there.

Latest posts