• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota rearends 2wd 4wd

SJR

OK I want to put a toyota rearend in my subaru, I have a couple at the shop one is from a 86 2wd truck has 5 bolt hubs other is from a 4wd has 6 bolt hubs , was told the 4wd is the low low gears with a small pinion , the subaru up front can be 3.9, 4.11 or 4.44 . what rearend should I use and can I swap the 2wd diff into the 4wd housing as I think the 2wd has the right ratio, I would like to end up with the 6 bolt axles and a ratio that matches the soobie , also what would be the ratio on these rearends thanks Scott

'81 4x4 had 3:91's(1 yr only gig)--all the rest IIRC were 4:10's until the 2nd gen 4runner, which could have come with 4:30, 4:37, even 4:88's... the 2wd toy 3rd is a 7.5" RG, so it won't bolt into a 4x4 8" housing...:awesomework: If you have options of going to 4:10, I'd do it...the toy 4:37's aren't quite close enough to the 4:44 option Subie's have...you could run it, but not in anything hard surfaced, such as rocks, as it will bind up the t-case!

I gota ask.
Why?

Why not look for another subaru rear end, if the one you have is broken? something that will bolt right up easy.

I gota ask.
Why?

Why not look for another subaru rear end, if the one you have is broken? something that will bolt right up easy.

Several people have gone solid rear on Subarus. Myself included. I started out with a Nissan 720 rear end. Eventually, I went to a Isuzu rear axle with disc brakes and 4.56 gears.

Scott, I would use the 4.10 4wd rearend. Couple that with the 4.11 Subaru and a second t-case(either sami or nissan) and you will be good. Call me as I may have just what you need.

Ken

Several people have gone solid rear on Subarus. Myself included. I started out with a Nissan 720 rear end. Eventually, I went to a Isuzu rear axle with disc brakes and 4.56 gears.

Scott, I would use the 4.10 4wd rearend. Couple that with the 4.11 Subaru and a second t-case(either sami or nissan) and you will be good. Call me as I may have just what you need.

Ken

right on

ok. not familiar with the subaru scene. just seems like if ya want toyota axles, why not get a toyota and wheel that? sounds like the parts hold up a lot better than the subaru stuff.

ok. not familiar with the subaru scene. just seems like if ya want toyota axles, why not get a toyota and wheel that? sounds like the parts hold up a lot better than the subaru stuff.

could be said with multiple rigs...its the name of the game

rear axle

Id go with the 7.5" 2wd rear axle. Its a bit smaller and there are plenty of gears, lockers etc. Even the 7.5 is WAY overkill for the sub.

OK I want to put a toyota rearend in my subaru, I have a couple at the shop one is from a 86 2wd truck has 5 bolt hubs other is from a 4wd has 6 bolt hubs , was told the 4wd is the low low gears with a small pinion , the subaru up front can be 3.9, 4.11 or 4.44 . what rearend should I use and can I swap the 2wd diff into the 4wd housing as I think the 2wd has the right ratio, I would like to end up with the 6 bolt axles and a ratio that matches the soobie , also what would be the ratio on these rearends thanks Scott

That's kinda like saying we should all be wheeling fullsizes if we're going to use the axles out of them in a Toyota/Jeep/Ranger/S10 though.

'81 4x4 had 3:91's(1 yr only gig)--all the rest IIRC were 4:10's until the 2nd gen 4runner, which could have come with 4:30, 4:37, even 4:88's... the 2wd toy 3rd is a 7.5" RG, so it won't bolt into a 4x4 8" housing...:awesomework: If you have options of going to 4:10, I'd do it...the toy 4:37's aren't quite close enough to the 4:44 option Subie's have...you could run it, but not in anything hard surfaced, such as rocks, as it will bind up the t-case!

The first years 2wd about 76 to 80 toyota is the same ring gear size and therd member as the 4wd's. Its same Part listing number you can cross reference it your local libray in the parts interchange manual

Latest posts