• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TOYOTA TRAIL RACING CLASS ?

Zman2day

********************************************************************************
Ok.. Its official! First TOYOTA TRAIL CLASS RACE!!

NEED REGISTERED RACERS ASAP!!

When: May 10th, 2014
Where: DAYTON, TN - Kizzar's on the Mountain
COST: $85 per Vehicle

INFORMATION:
http://www.ecors.com/race/dayton-tn/

https://ecors.wufoo.com/forms/m1ggpar00x9dd4r/

Please sign up NEW teams - *** add "TOYOTA TRAIL" after team name. Register as "AA" class to get correct racing fee.

******************************************************************************************************************

Looking at interest for a Toyota Spec'd 4cyl Drivers Class for Rock / Endurance Racing format. Many of us already have Toyota trail rigs, some full cab, some exo'd , caged, tube bed, doved front, rear , Formula Toyota chassis, ect. Want to RACE?? Looking for interested drivers.

https://www.facebook.com/ToyotaTrailRacing

If enough interest is there, currently ECORS has agreed to support this class within their current schedule. So expect races to be available.

HERE is the beginning of the "BASIC" spec'd guidelines (borrowed much from the original Formula-Toyota Rulebook)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toyota Trail Racing Class

The Toyota Trail Competition Series is designed to be a low cost driver's class and the rules are written in an effort to keep it that way. The point of the class is to compete against other similarly built and equipped Toyota vehicles with basically stock frame and running gear. You start with a 2 wheel drive or 4wheel drive Toyota pickup. You can modify/ remove cab to suit your needs, but must retain stock frame and running gear. Driver /co-driver safety is a must so a roll cage or full doors are required. If you imagine you're starting with a stock vehicle as your donor, the rules are more like guidelines as to what is permitted to be changed from stock. Don't look for loopholes because there are none. If the rules say you CAN do it...then you can do it. If the rules don't address a particular modification, you can assume it's not going to be permitted.

Engine
• Toyota 20r, 21ru ,22r, 22re engines are allowed
• Propane, EFI, or Carb allowed
All Motors Must:
• 20r/22r hybrid allowed
• Must use stock type carburetor
• Must use stock type intake manifold
• Must use pump gasoline
• Must be naturally aspirated
• Radiator must mount in front of engine
• Electric fans allowed
• Engine can be moved back 0"- 8" from stock
• Engine can be raised or lowered 0"- 1" from stock
Transmission /Transfer case
• Any Toyota make or model manual or automatic transmission
• Any Toyota gear driven mini truck case or combination of cases
• Any manufactures gear set
• Any gear ratio
• Dual case adapter must be commercially available
• Any commercially available output shaft is allowed.
Frame
• The frame can be stripped of all cab mounts and brackets but must have a minimum of 3 cross members including one in the very front and one in the very rear.
• The frame length can be shortened in the rear only. The total frame length must not be less than 152".
• Frame notching is permitted for shock clearance in the rear, steering arm clearance in the front, and seat clearance below drivers and passengers seat. (When notching frame, a minimum of one of the 4 sides of the frame rail must remain intact.)
• Angled or tapered cross members front and rear are legal, frame rails themselves must remain full dimension
Cage / Chassis / Body
• Safety cage or full cab with doors required. Cage built of min 1.75" O.D tube - covering occupants in event of rollover
• Frame must be Toyota Pickup or 4Runner frame, 2wd or 4wd

Steering
• Any manual or power steering box.
• Box must be attached to main frame rail
• Drag link must attach to pitman arm on steering box
• Ram assist steering is allowed
• Any aftermarket high/cross over steer kit allowed, provided both tierod and draglink remain in front of axle
• Steering must attach to stock steering arm location using the stock method (4 fasteners in stock pattern)
Front Axle
• Front axle must be from 1979 - 1985 Toyota Pickup or 4Runner
• Aftermarket/custom housings are allowed, in any width
• Aftermarket birfields allowed, including upsizing spline count
• Aftermarket inner axles allowed, including upsizing spline count
• Must use Toyota 8" third members (FJ80, V6 or 4cyl, electric locker, and non locking Tacoma/T100 diff)
• Any factory or aftermarket ring & pinion gear sets
• Must use oem Toyota Pickup/4Runner knuckles, or aftermarket allowed
• Differential shaving allowed
• Trussing and diff armored allowed
• Birfield eliminator kits not allowed must use Birfields.
Rear Axle
• Rear axle must be from 1979 - 1995 Toyota Pickup or 4Runner
• Any Toyota 8" third member allowed (FJ80, V6 or 4cyl, electric locker, and non locking Tacoma/T100)
• Any factory or aftermarket ring & pinion gear sets
• Aftermarket/custom axle housings allowed, in any width
• U-bolt flip allowed
• Aftermarket axle shafts allowed, in semi float configuration
• Differential shaving allowed
• Trussing and diff armored allowed
Lockers
• Any aftermarket locker
• Open or welded differential allowed
Front Suspension
• Must be OEM style Toyota leaf spring suspension.
• Attachment methods must be oem style, fixed at one end and a single shackle at the other end
• Any aftermarket steel non take apart shock.
• Shock must attach to axle in oem fashion
• No traction bar or link type attachments
• Springs must be mounted so they are stock width apart
• U-bolt flip allowed
• Bumpstops must be rubber or polyurethane
Rear Suspension
• Must be OEM style Toyota leaf spring suspension.
• Attachment methods must be oem style. Fixed at one end and a single shackle at the other end.
• Frenched spring hangers allowed
• Rear leaf springs may be inboard of frame rail with a minimum width of not less than the front spring width.
• An anti-wrap bar may be installed. Anti-wrap can have 3 points of attachment, 2 on the axle housing and one at the frame or chassis. Anti-wrap must not aid lateral stability.
• Bumpstops must be rubber or polyurethane
Brakes
• No cutting or turning brakes
• Functional parking brake or micro lock
• Brakes must be wheel mounted, disk or drum, and effective for stopping and holding the vehicle.
Battery
• Any spill proof style battery
• Battery must be securely mounted, no bungee cords
Tires
• Any tire size or brand
• Any wheel (Internal or external bead locked wheels permitted)
Fuel system
• Stock tank or approved fuel cell
• Fuel system must either be closed loop system or spill proof roll over valve.
• Vehicles that leak fuel will not be allowed to continue with competition until the issue is fixed.
Required Equipment
• Rear facing mirrors required, mounted in a way as it doesn't compromise driver safety.
• Winch in front is required and must be mounted to the frame
• Functional Horn/Siren
• Functional Headlight and Tail/Brake Light. Recommended to have optional amber always on rear facing light.
• Minimum 8' long tree saver strap
• Minimum 15' long nylon recovery strap
• 2 ¾ rated shackles
• Minimum of 1 tow point on the front and rear
• Safety tool (seatbelt cutter, knife, glass breaker) mounted within reach of occupants while belted.
• Vehicle numbers mounted Front & Rear (4" tall), and Sides (6" tall).
Safety
• DOT approved helmet (3/4 or more, no "scull caps",
• Five point seat harness (no Cam-lock or push button)
• Neck restraint collar
• Metal roof must cover entire occupants, Minimum 1/8" thick
• Solid metal roof can be bolt on at least every 12" inches
• Expanded metal roof must be welded at each contact point
• First aid kit
• 2 2.5lb minimum Fire extinguishers - one mounted within driver reach while belted and one mounted accessible outside the vehicle
• A full firewall constructed of metal sheet or lexan material from outer edge of chassis (inner edge of tubing) to opposite outer edge. The only exception is if you have a fully encapsulated engine compartment (inner fenders from shock midline to firewall, with a hood). You can then use expanded metal in the floor pan area of the passenger compartment.
• Transmission tunnels are not required but a driveshaft loop to protect the driver from the rear u-joint is necessary.
The Toyota Trail Competition Series will use the "Vehicle Safety Equipment" and "Equipment, Condition, and Function" rules as they pertain to Class A vehicles as published by ECORS. Please go to their website for a current rulebook. www.ecors.com

dzldust said:
sounds like fun,what type of course?any jumping or just obstacles,Mud?water?

Based on the current racetracks in ECORS - expect everything.... Jumps, rocks, ledges, climbs, ledges, trees, mud and rain :D

I would be in for it if the rule was a little more towards 4 cylinder being the only rule, I have all yota parts but custom chassis and 4 link . Make the rules more towards anything goes except has to be a 4 cylinder you would have alot more people with geo's, samurais, toyotas, rangers, s10, just my opinion

I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

While I agree that including any 4 cylinder would certainly increase the number of rigs, it would also increase the mechanical advantage of one vehicle vs another, therefore no longer making it a driver's class.

Perhaps a non-spec'd 4cyl class could also be created but could likely turn into a "who can spend the most class" making it non reachable for average joe. Not to say racing isn't expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm down. But let us know if this takes off pretty soon. I am about to 4 link mine. At least I was. May not now.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

It will turn into a who has the most $ either way you look at it, u can spend just as much on a leaf sprung suspension as I have in my 4 link and coilovers.
2nd someone will have a built out the ass 22r in there truck and everyone else won't ( which makes $ have the advantage )

I still think it would be better 4 cylinder being the only rule , there are so many yotas out there that are linked , it would take alot of people out of the game and that's no good

Heck yea gatekeeper that sounds a lot better for everyone , makes more Since 4 cylinder class being the only rule. I would be in it was 4 banger only rule

It does cancel out a lot of possibilities with the limitations. But at the same time it's not much different then stock car racing. Keep the playing field level and build one heck of a drive train.

gatekeeper said:
It will turn into a who has the most $ either way you look at it, u can spend just as much on a leaf sprung suspension as I have in my 4 link and coilovers.
2nd someone will have a built out the ass 22r in there truck and everyone else won't ( which makes $ have the advantage )

I still think it would be better 4 cylinder being the only rule , there are so many yotas out there that are linked , it would take alot of people out of the game and that's no good

Yep,

Don't take me wrong, Marc (Zman2day) is a good guy and I enjoyed racing against him in ECORS,

but he is in a Formula Toy with a built stroker 22R and triple bypass shocks on all 4 corners...

But the 4cyl guys will get beat by even reliatively stock Cherokees on most courses, unless it's REALLY rough and technical (oh, and doesn't have much in the way of up hill...)

hjpcummins said:
It does cancel out a lot of possibilities with the limitations. But at the same time it's not much different then stock car racing. Keep the playing field level and build one heck of a drive train.

Yea it's not a level playing field unless u got tons of $
If it was a class just for 4 cylinders then everyone could play
and if some one with a bad ass suspension wins, people will say its unfair
If someone wins with a bad ass motor wins its because they had a bad ass motor

It will be fun as hell if it was a 4 cylinder class , either way it being a toyota truck class only people will enjoy but it will boil down to who has the most $
I just truly believe if there was a 4 cylinder class there would be at least 50 percent more entry's , and that's what ecors needs is entry's

This is great feedback.
The idea is for a basic spec drivers class.

My current Ftoy 94 I race would need some major de tuning to meet these rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I been waiting for along time to see this. Y'all mite better think about a Pure stock and a Modified Class.

I would be in if I could have rear engine, full hydraulic steering, and rebuildable shocks.