• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota trunnion bearing

They were around $35 at Toyota of Puyallup about a year ago for a Koyo bearing and race, National had the Federal Mogul for $25 to $30. The kit from Marlin is the best deal since it uses the factory NSK or Koyo bearings and comes with the HD inner axles seals that are nice.

Today I am replacing some trail gear trunion bearings and seals with Koyo bearings and Marlin tube seals.
The bearing and race are both marked: KOYO TR0305A
The Toyota Genuine Parts box reads bearing 90366-17001-77

Last edited:
The factory bearings last a very long time. If installed properly a new set of factory bearings will deliver years of use under heavy abuse conditions.

People have a bad taste in their mouth about these trunion bearings because of cheep garbage knock offs, thus eliminator kits were spawned. In my humble opinion if people wern't cheep asses in the first place the eliminator kids would not be needed.

In the end "to each their own" I guess. :awesomework:

Did you call my work today perhaps? Somebody called but we didnt have them

LOL I think I know who called on that part. :haha: As I recall the person on the other end of the line said, and I quote "we can't get that part, try the dealership" :mad: :squirrel: :thud:

I called Altrom a while back and they didn't have a "listing" but said If I had an original pt # that might get me somewhere.

I wonder if you called Altrom and gave them this "KOYO TR0305A" or this "90366-17001-77" there might be a slight chance of finding a good supply of these at a VERY reasonable price.

I know I was amazed at finding Factory Toyota FJ80 tie rod ends (high steer)for only 14.00 each through Altrom :awesomework:

The factory bearings last a very long time. If installed properly a new set of factory bearings will deliver years of use under heavy abuse conditions.

People have a bad taste in their mouth about these trunion bearings because of cheep garbage knock offs, thus eliminator kits were spawned. In my humble opinion if people wern't cheep asses in the first place the eliminator kids would not be needed.

well running 40's on our rigs and wheeling hard they just never held up. i do see your point for most toyota owners.

Yes Patrick, the stock trunion bearings last forever when running 29" tall tires on your mall crawler but when running 40's, everything wears out or breaks.

well running 40's on our rigs and wheeling hard they just never held up. i do see your point for most toyota owners.

I run big ass tires and NEVER kill them. jap bearings and NO hydro or HYDRO assist.

The two things that I see lead to bearing failure are HYDRO rigs. You just cant feel when to say no and it abuses them badly.

The other is cheap bearings.

I agree with patrick 100 percent.

I am not easy on my rig either. In fact I put used stockers in my front when I built it.

Hey Brian, does jeremys rig have hydro steering?

Brian, you have also stated several times that jeremys rig even killed 6 shooter pins.

The eliminator pins are hollow/drilled for a grease passage/fitting, how can that be stronger than a solid one from the same company? its the same steel and size, but less material?

How do ya explain that?

I agree with both Chop shop and trainwreck in one thread.. The end is near I can feel it.. :eeek:

I ran the same set of KOYO trunion bearings for 5 years 3 of which was with full hydro on tires from 38" sx's to 42" tsl's all of which were on steel wheels and beadlocks with ifs hubs and I added 1 1/2" spacers when I switched to 42's and never had a failure.

Run chinese bearings and you shouldn't be surprised when that garbage fails. :;

Hey Brad. Ya I'm running full hydro. I've broke the stock trunions and the trail gear ones. And the six shooter pins. I went to the eliminator kit as soon as they came out. Yes you have to grease them all the time. But I haven't had any trouble so far. We resently went to a tuff truck comp and jumped it several times with no issues, unlike the other Toyota's they all broke their trunions. I even gave one guy my spare trunions I had in my truck from when I still had them.

not sure what to tell ya ,but just speaking from our experiences? the material the t.b e. kit is made of is a diff. material i can tell you that, the pins on 6 shooters are weak and on pbb, there were guys breaking them also. i personally havent had any issues w/ bearings, but my sammy has 60 outers, and my buggy has a 5th stud and is really light weight. it might boil down to the driving style of said rig??:hi:

Thanks for all the quick responses. All the Part #'s are going to make getting my hands on a set a sinch.. As of right now I'm just going to get it back on the trail. Going to pick up a new(to me) set of knuckles and bearings to get my truck back on the trail. If I can get my welder wired into the house and get my hands on some steel and hardware, I will be doing a 5th stud while im in there.

Thanks guys
Charlie

:rolleyes:

This is supposed to be a tech thread.

People can break just about anything. However I've seen these stand up to some serious abuse with 39-40" tyres. I've also seen people break stuff with 33's I think a lot of it comes down to the driving style, and how it's maintenanced or installed in the first place. Proper grease and pre-load are very important.

In this world "never" or "always" doesn't work very well. As I said in my original post "If installed properly a new set of factory bearings will deliver years of use under heavy abuse conditions."

That doesn't mean they will last forever :;

So any action as to weather or not Altrom can get factory trunion bearings for like 10 bucks a piece? I bet they have them in stock, you just have to know the right question to ask Daniel-son :haha:

so i have my front end torn down and now im going to put it all back together, WHAT trunnion bearing should i use and WHAT type grease?
YES i have read this whole thred just want to make myself cristal clear.