• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail gear Hydro steering

I dont want to be the Guinea pig for TG's hydro kit either so I think I will save some more money and go with a howe or maybe a POS kit. I was thinking of goin PSC also and have heard that thier customer service is great but I dont want to buy something that is prone to failure. I wondder if adding an extra bigg cooler to the line would help the pump failure from happening.

I can tell you that I have ran psc hydro for five years without one problem and several of my friends run there system too with great results. If anyone has real experience with any company's they should explain there stories and not talk trash because of what they have herd or read:;

My buddy james runs psc full hydro with rear steer and likes to run a stock tc pump drilled out and it works great.

I think you should ask your self do you want to run a system that has been proven and is well known in our industry, or you can put together a cheaper kit that will work if you talk to the right people and do your home work.

Yee-Ha! "Buy American" is far too broad of a statement in today's global market. Blame the unions for demanding too much from their employers. How do you expect "American" companies to offer quality products at a competitive price when all the profits go to their employees pensions and health problem? I heard that TG is owned buy an "American" family...:corn: :stirpot:

I do have a complaint about TG however. I bought their "Hydro Assist kit". Every piece. A week later they put the "Full Hydro" kit for sale on the website. I am really pissed that they didn't mention to me that if I waited a few days to order I could have gone Full Hydro instead. That would have led to a $300.00 dollar savings and a much better option for me to be running:mad: **** THOSE ****ERS!

I do have a complaint about TG however. I bought their "Hydro Assist kit". Every piece. A week later they put the "Full Hydro" kit for sale on the website. I am really pissed that they didn't mention to me that if I waited a few days to order I could have gone Full Hydro instead. That would have led to a $300.00 dollar savings and a much better option for me to be running:mad: **** THOSE ****ERS!

Your right, they should have used their mind reading checkout system. Yeah, they burned you bad. :rolleyes: Did you think of calling them and exchanging for store credit, and buying the hydro system?

Anyways, I run a surplus center double ended cylinder, strong and no frills, with a Char-Lynn valve, and a PSC high flow pump. I seriously doubt that Trail-Gear has their own steering valves made, they are probably a Char-Lynn or an Eaton. If I were to do it again, I would have bought the complete PSC kit as it has taken a long time to work out the bugs on my homebuilt system.

I do know that many people have had reliability problems with PSC, for example there was a bad batch of GM/ (Delphi?) pumps that shearad shafts, even on OEM vehicles. But my PSC pump has been absolutely 100% bulletproof. I have run it firey hot, cavitating for hours on end near on the rev limiter, ran it dry on a few occasions, and run used ATF and motor oil in it to get off the trail. Still kickin after 4 years. :beer:

There it is! Was wondering when someone would chime with a dose of sarcasm. In this forum. There can never be a response without it. Right on! keep up the bolstering:awesomework:

Quote: "Your right, they should have used their mind reading checkout system. Yeah, they burned you bad. Did you think of calling them and exchanging for store credit, and buying the hydro system?"

I suggest you use the mind reading system as you read this to tell what I think of your reply :kiss:

There it is! Was wondering when someone would chime with a dose of sarcasm. In this forum. There can never be a response without it. Right on! keep up the bolstering:awesomework:

Quote: "Your right, they should have used their mind reading checkout system. Yeah, they burned you bad. Did you think of calling them and exchanging for store credit, and buying the hydro system?"

I suggest you use the mind reading system as you read this to tell what I think of your reply :kiss:

You orderd a hydro assist kit and expected them to tell you they have a full hydro kit coming out in a week? Are you serious? Did you ask if they might be offering a full hydro kit anytime soon?

If you did ask and they said no, then I feel your pain.

I do believe I have ruled out using a trail gear kit, I think I will call PSC first and just run a big cooler. Thanks for the input:awesomework:

A good system can be put together very easily without dropping a grand or better. I'm using an unknown charlynn valve scavenged off of a gleaner in a equipment boneyard, a couple different rams have been used, one 6x2" and the other 8x2" and both worked great. I' running the factory yota pump drilled and shimmed with a medium cooler and a gallon reservoir scavenged off of a kenworth. By popular opinion my steering shouldn't work at all but it does and I'm happy with it for the price.... Under $100 including hoses. :redneck:

A good system can be put together very easily without dropping a grand or better. I'm using an unknown charlynn valve scavenged off of a gleaner in a equipment boneyard, a couple different rams have been used, one 6x2" and the other 8x2" and both worked great. I' running the factory yota pump drilled and shimmed with a medium cooler and a gallon reservoir scavenged off of a kenworth. By popular opinion my steering shouldn't work at all but it does and I'm happy with it for the price.... Under $100 including hoses. :redneck:

The stomper has a stock chevy pump and a charlynn off of a forklift with a single ended 2X8 ram on a rockwell with 53s. I have a cooler and thats it. It has the stock reservoir and does not dry up. It is 3.5-4 turns lock to lock and works great. I paid 40 for the orbital and got the ram off of a navy ship door. The orbital already had a forklift steering column on it, so I cut it and mated it to a chevy steering shaft.

It was cheap and simple. Cost me less than a hundred bucks about 6 years ago. There is even a forklift junkyard in lakewood that advertises on CL.

I run the surplus center ram and orbital valve, a Howe filter/reservor and USED to run their GM vane pump, that POS did not last more then two trips and the front bearing went out. I looked up the article by Billia Vista on pirate and ended buying a stock GM pump and reused the Howe can o ham housing on it, (has AN fittings). The stock pump from NAPA is working just fine for $50and comes with a lifetime warrenty:awesomework:. The POS Howe pump is laying somewhere on a shelf :puke:.