• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer brake question

JayH

So, I just got off the phone with Freeway Trailer down in Tacoma and they tell me that in Washington state it's the law that a double axle car trailer must have brakes on both axles. I've been looking into a trailer for the heep for a while now and granted, this is the first dealer I've called, but why have I never heard of this before? Any encouraging words out there?

10 years ago I bought a brand new tandem axle trailer in Texas and brought it back here. It only had one set of brakes. During the inspection by WSP it was brought to my attention that WA state law is brakes on both axles. They passed it but strongly recommended I get brakes on the 2nd axle. I think if you buy one out of state brand new you can get away with registering it in WA with only one set, but anything sold new in WA has to have brakes on both. I never did put brakes on that 2nd axle and never had a problem. I sold it a few years ago and as far as I know it still has only one set of brakes on it. The trailer that replaced it has brakes on both axles.

Even though I got away with it, what's the point in not having brakes on both axles? The things are stupid cheap to buy loaded backing plates and put drums on. Had I known they were that cheap and easy to do I woulda put em on the #2 axle on the first trailer when I got it. Cheap insurance.....

The law is based on the gross weight of the trailer. If the gross weight is 4000 lbs or more you need trailer brakes. If the gross weight is less than 4000 lbs, brakes not required.

All car hauler trailers will have brakes because the trailer is capable of meeting or exceeding 4000 lbs gross. If your moving the trailer empty the brakes aren't legally required.

If you had a light trailer with a Sami, you could conceiveably be under 4000 lbs and not need brakes.

That said, heavy trailers can get squirrely on you and its really f-ing scary. Your gonna want brakes on it.

Last edited:
My 20' trailer was ordered by an idiot. It's got a diamond plate bed and an electric hydralic tilt. It weighs about 2,200 empty.
The PO ordered it with 3,500# axles and brakes on only one axle.:mad:
I got it very cheap:awesomework: and added heavier axles with brakes on both.

10 years ago I bought a brand new tandem axle trailer in Texas and brought it back here. It only had one set of brakes. During the inspection by WSP it was brought to my attention that WA state law is brakes on both axles. They passed it but strongly recommended I get brakes on the 2nd axle. I think if you buy one out of state brand new you can get away with registering it in WA with only one set, but anything sold new in WA has to have brakes on both. I never did put brakes on that 2nd axle and never had a problem. I sold it a few years ago and as far as I know it still has only one set of brakes on it. The trailer that replaced it has brakes on both axles.

Even though I got away with it, what's the point in not having brakes on both axles? The things are stupid cheap to buy loaded backing plates and put drums on. Had I known they were that cheap and easy to do I woulda put em on the #2 axle on the first trailer when I got it. Cheap insurance.....
x2 but not 10 years ago only two.. but when i get extra money brakes on bothe axels for me...

yes both axels required by State RCW's. beware some trailers built and sold in this state do not meet the RCWs.....bulldog is one.

i bought a trailer built by bulldog in Chelais and it had brakes on only one axel and they were on the wrong axel for a trailer equiped with brakes on only one axel.

go figure... they are cheap and very easy to install just make that part of the price thought process. cheaper trailer but i need to add brakes....

I just called Bulldog in Chehalis and they have a 14' (what I'm looking for,) Brakes both axles, breakaway system, ten tiedowns, stow away ramps, blah blah for 1800 and change. I'm thinking brand new - that's the deal. Maybe head down Saturday and pick it up.

Yup, small enough to fit in my garage. Also, since I bobbed the Grand she's just about 14 foot and an inch or three. It would be perfect for my current situation - living in a townhome with no yard to store a trailer. The trailer goes in the garage and the Sportser goes up on top the trailer!

if the rig is lite you will be ok but for my 5000 plus rig i had to add corner jacks as the frame of the trailer was only angle iron and would flex way too much.

but i loved the trailer it was light enough i could kinda manhandle it around the driveway. my newer heavier one i cant budge.

good luck.

You can also try this guy they had a 16' new for $1780 but I dont remember what his 14' cost

www.titanhaul.com

Titan Haul USA
Armand Nicolas
9720 40th Ave. SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
Office: 253-589-0494
Fax: 253-589-0956
Cell: 253-359-8836

Hey thanks for the info - I had never heard of titanhaul before.

I don't know about manhandling any trailers Hip. My back ain't what it used to be... I haven't had a chance to weigh the new build yet, but I'm guesing I'm down around 4k with the bob.

Hey thanks for the info - I had never heard of titanhaul before.

I don't know about manhandling any trailers Hip. My back ain't what it used to be... I haven't had a chance to weigh the new build yet, but I'm guesing I'm down around 4k with the bob.

so with the bulldog price included the extra corner post/jack dealeys already there and still cheaper.

good luck and post up what you end up with so we all know. a couple of friends here at work are also looking for car trailers to haul show cars...

for clarification...

all trailers travelling through WA need to have a breakaway setup?

cuz I ain't got one....