• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer brake tech, spinoff from Tow Rig thread

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
I saw mentioned late in that thread about "getting a quality brake box".

I thought a box was a box was a box? I thought all the more expensive boxes were more for just luxury/convenience....or more axles?

With this being said, i'm running some 30-ish dollar box and its worked fine on my dual axle car trailer. Not digital....no numbers...just a roller dial on the side that I marked the "sweet spot" when towing my rig. Basically just turn the knob off/down when trailer is empty.

I'm not too savvy on the brake box world either. I think I gave $50 for my brake box on ebay and like $20 or so for factory adapter (can't remember brand). It's got a slider on it with a digital readout of bar levels. I usually tow with it on like 2 bars, but it will go up to maybe 5 or 6? I cut it off when trailer is empty. Had it almost 3 years since I bought the truck and haven't had one blip out of it.

Longevity is probably one reason, and higher end brake boxes may have another, better method of applying brake pressure? Who knows. :dunno:

I used to think the same until I towed with my dad's truck who has one of those $200 Tekonsha inertia units. There's something inside that applies brakes lightly under light braking loads and allows full power under heavy braking. It was actually really nice not having the trailer be full-on every time I tapped the brakes so I got one for my new tow rig and have enjoyed it ever since. It also has memory slots for loaded and unloaded trailer so that you don't have to adjust all your settings when the trailer is empty. You just click over to the preset and you're not always locking the tires up. The when you load it you just click over to loaded mode and everything is tight again.

Re: Re: Trailer brake tech, spinoff from Tow Rig thread

tonybolton said:
Cool...so its like I thought. ..luxury/convenience. Not performance.

As far as I know yes, its just a luxury.

Agreed with patoyee, I had a fancie one in my dodge that gradually aplied pressure pending speed , it **** the bed 10years old....and I replaced with a 40$ unit from napa, wow what a difference, the new one does stop but it's not nearly as nice as the old one, it's applies the same amount of pressure all the time so if it's set at 50% at 60mph.....when I slow down and almost stopped like 5mph the trailer tires start locking up and squeeling ...I'm constantly turning the corntroller up and down , though it does indeed stop the trailer fine....ya get what ya pay for

Like alot of the others have said you can call it luxury but its really performance and how the trailer handles. I have the Tenkosha Prodigy box. It works at any angle you want to mount it at, has very smooth and predictable braking even in town red light to red light. It is fully adjustable to bring brakes on faster or slower and obviously how much power it puts to the brakes and progression of applied voltage. Most of the cheapo boxes I have run will not perform only built to "stop trailer". I honestly believe if you never buy a nice box you won't miss it but if you ever do you will never go back.

Side note: I bought my Prodigy from ebay for $80 and come with a harness for practically ever late model truck made.

civicmindedex79 said:
I honestly believe if you never buy a nice box you won't miss it but if you ever do you will never go back.

Yup, that's a good way to put it.

The simple Prodigy works extremely well. Best I have used and was raved about on towing forums before I got one a few yeas ago.

I didn't even know there was different levels of Prodigy controllers?? Don't even know what mine is but still like it.

Guess shows what I know but I was curious after the P3 talk. SO I went and checked mine out. Mine is actually a Primus not Prodigy. :dunno: Still highly recommend it but have no idea what the main difference is between this and prodigy.

There are also other factors to deal with.We deal with trailer brakes daily and many of the upper end unit work very well with electric over hydraulic brakes. That $30.00 box with electric over hydraulic disk brake would be very expensive with tire wear. The P3 is our current go to and has a switch to switch between electric or electric over hydraulic. It is not for luxury but necessity. The best where the brake smart and the max brake but both are out of business now.

I have one of the Prodigys as well and I really love it especially since I pull with a half ton. It really helps me control my trailer breaking and make up for the brakes on the truck.

I have a prodigy box on the wife's tow rig, a cheapo on my work truck. The ability of instant full braking power in a panic stop with the Prodigy is not a "luxury" in my eyes. It's a peace of mind. Also you don't have the jerking you have with a cheap box....now that added bonus is a luxury. An inertia based brake box like a Prodigy is worth every penny.

I have a basic trailer brake controller. I have no complaints, but a couple months ago we used my buddies truck to go to Windrock and it was a huge difference.
When you have to slam on the brakes, the trailer brakes hard. Then just cruising through a parking lot it hardly brakes at all. I'll get one if mine ever craps out

As I said in the other thread, Prodigy all the way. If the safety of you & your haul + others on the road is a luxury, then yes, it is a great luxury...not to mention never fiddling with the dial and buttons again.