• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trailer insurance?

Dain Bramage

I'm looking at buying a trailer to haul my toyota, but I can't seem to find any info on wether or not I'm required to insure it.

Most trailer insurance is a 'rider' or 'add-on' to your normal truck policy.

It's CHEAP to insure, as it doesn't have it's own policy, and will cover you for an accident (if it comes unhitched) or is damaged (you get rear ended) or is stolen (common occurance), etc.

Just make sure that the truck and truck hitch assembly are rated to tow the load.

It's also added peace of mind, in case you are 'at fault'. You want to make sure you are protected.

I'm assuming we do have it on our truck insurance, considering how my mom is about insurance. would the rider cover any trailer hooked to the truck?

Totally worth the $$, How many of us have had some dude turn into our triler while scootin down the road.:mad:

Just ask your Agent, they will take care of you. Mine like many others here is very very cheap.

I have broadform coverage and have gone over it severall times with my agent.

I am covered as long as the trailer stays HOOKED to the truck. Also the load is covered if it stays hooked to the trailer and truck.

So as long as I dont tie my truck on like WT does then I will be OK. :haha:

I have broadform coverage and have gone over it severall times with my agent.

I am covered as long as the trailer stays HOOKED to the truck. Also the load is covered if it stays hooked to the trailer and truck.

So as long as I dont tie my truck on like WT does then I will be OK. :haha:

So if you have a severe accident and the rig becomes detached from the trailer(does happen) then there is no coverage to what was on the trailer?

So if you have a severe accident and the rig becomes detached from the trailer(does happen) then there is no coverage to what was on the trailer?

Highly likely they'll deny a claim in this circumstance...For $20-30/YR, it is WELL worth the piece of mind IMHO...:cool:

Different companies have different standards of what is covered by the tow rig being attached, but ONE thing remains a constant, and that is whatever load is ON the trailer is typically NOT covered in the event of an accident, separate trailer insurance is required for coverage of the load...Best bet would be to ask some VERY to the point questions to your ins. agent, and ask for the policy in writing... check your company's policies yourself regarding trailer insurance coverage before talking to them if you question what your agent tells you

Last edited:

Not likeley the way I tie ****. Im not a strap guy, chain and binders for me.

Why would they cover a rig thats not connected to thier insured any more?

I could add seperate trailer coverage, but I dont think I need it. Plus I tow 5 trailers. 4 of which I built and one that I refurbed. Im not too worried about trailers.

Now MOST of the folks I see towing SHOULD have the max coverage available after seeing some fo the hookups and riggins folks use.

I all for a trailer endorsement on the LIC.

Ask Odie how many miles hes logged pulling a car trailer.

Then ask him how many accidents his trailer has been in. Or how many times a rig has fallen off his trailer.

Good records come with common sense.

Highly likely they'll deny a claim in this circumstance...For $20-30/YR, it is WELL worth the piece of mind IMHO...:cool:

Just remember the truck you sold me that had bad brakes and you insisted it be towed. So I towed it home.

Then I transfered the title and have been driving it with the same bad brakes to this day.

I guess if everybody tried to be me, they would all be stuck crashed and ****ed.

Dont try this at home kiddos. :hi:

Dollars to donuts he's got insurance on his trailer(s) too...
Not to mention, no matter how good a record one may have or how well built your trailer is, **** does happen when you least expect it and it's usually not your fault, but the fault of some idiot driver that can't see a damn trailer behind a truck......

Just remember the truck you sold me that had bad brakes and you insisted it be towed. So I towed it home.

Then I transfered the title and have been driving it with the same bad brakes to this day.

I guess if everybody tried to be me, they would all be stuck crashed and ****ed.

Dont try this at home kiddos. :hi:

Ha! :haha: You still haven't put a $30 M/C in Gert??!?!??:wtf: :redneck:
And if I remember right, that was a borrowed trailer you picked her up with, does the owner have insurance on it? If so, it covers anyone using it, at least my policy covers such a case...:awesomework:

Ha! :haha: You still haven't put a $30 M/C in Gert??!?!??:wtf: :redneck:
And if I remember right, that was a borrowed trailer you picked her up with, does the owner have insurance on it? If so, it covers anyone using it, at least my policy covers such a case...:awesomework:

Oh Ive tied, but short of having the stocker rebuilt its a bust. Every parts store has the wrong one or the supplier only does one simular that they then expect ya to stack up brass adapters till the lines fit.

Im just sticking it out till I get a couple more parts for a disc brake swap.

Im pretty anal about the trailers. The one you seen thats my buddies is titled to ME. I keep it here, he owns it and I build and maintain it for free lease. I usually tow hiw **** for him anyways!

Im pretty bad about it, I kick/feel tires at every stop and feel wheel bearing snouts also for heat.

Everytime I hook up I check the lock foot inside the hitch and check my pins, latches after any stop.

I dont trust people in parking lots about messing with hookups/pins.

Insurance COs wish all thier customers were like me.

I do my BEST to know that I have done everything to avoid a mishap.
Thats WAY better than most folks that just reply to me, "**** IT, I got great insurance!"

Personally, I am the same way, I even go so far as to check the trailer brakes occasionally while driving just to be sure they work---I have the insurance for the unforseen situations (other idiot drivers, theft, etc..)...
...Like I said before, **** happens when you least expect it to...

As said, it's not required ... But I have full coverage on my car trailer and it is around $1.50 a month ... I rarely use my trailer anymore, and it is still insured ... Because at that price, why not?

When I tow my Yota its on a borrowed trailer. I talked to my ins. agent about that. She told me that as long as the trailer is hooked to my truck its covered under my trucks policy. The vehicle on the trailer is not covered by my tow rigs policy. I do have ins. on my wheeler and it would be covered if a accident happened while on the trailer. Kinda confusing but as long as I am towing my wheeler with my truck there both covered.