• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer thoughts....f'in conundrum....

I

InDaShop

So I'm going on Monday to look at and I expect to buy a buggy. The dollar spending don't end there either (oh how I wish it did).

I need a trailer, and have needed a trailer for quite sometime. Even without owning a buggy, I've been beg/borrow/stealing trailers for years. Time to finally get my own.

Initially I was thinking about a 22' bumperpull with a 3' racer box on the front. Racerbox for storage and security. Keep all my spares, and **** in it. Like tools, coolers, tent, chairs, etc. I've always hated getting ready to leave for a trip and having to spend 3 hours hunting everything down that needs to make it in the bed of the truck to go on the trip. And you always forget something you need. Well this way everything stays in the box. HOOK & GO! And now I won't have to always park were I can see the truck cause of everything in the bed that could "WALK". And don't forget about rain. Nothing like you're duffle of clothes getting soaked on the road.

The bumper pull trailer I'm thinking about:
83" x 22' Heavy Duty Wood Bed Equipment or Car Hauler Trailer, 2-5/16" Bulldog Coupler, welded on safety chains, 60" Tongue made of 6" channel wraps under frame to fender, center support with 7000lb drop leg jack, 6" Channel frame, Channel cross members are 16" on center, Pipe bump rail, Treated wood floor, 2' Dovetail with steel treadplate. Rub rail and stake pockets on both sides. Double broke diamond plate fenders with supports, two 7000lb spring axles, Electric Brakes on both, Breakaway switch and battery, new LT235/85R16 LRE tires on 8 Lug silver mod wheels. 5' Channel ramps slide in rear

Pic of a 20'
MT%208320TA5%20Wood%20Bed%20Heavy%20Duty%20002.jpg

Pic of the said Racer box I'm talking about. It's 35in front to back x 42in tall x 82in wide
TTM%20DLX%20RACER%20BOX%2022'%20RS%20Front.jpg

Then I really started thinking about how bad pulling a bumperpull sucks. So I need to step up to a Gooseneck. I think I can get away with a stock height gooseneck and just sucking the coupler way up to fit my truck (6" lift and 35"s) without too much fear of crushing a bedside.
The hold up on the gooseneck would be adding the Racerbox. With the neck braces coming down to the deck they would block the doors on the box. So I was thinking I could mount the box up in the air high enough to clear the braces. Then I'd have a nice storage area underneith for strapping spares tires in. Oh, and I need to get a gooseball mounted in my bed.

Gooseneck details of what I'm thinking:
83" x 22' Bed Gooseneck, 2- 7000lb brake axles, 12" Neck with adjustable 2-5/16" coupler, Welded on safety chains, 6" Channel Frame (6" channel on 24' and shorter), 16" o.c. channel cross members, Diamond Plate Steel Floor, 4' Dovetail, Double broke diamond plate fenders, Flushmount lights, 2) 7000lb spring axles with electric brakes on both axles, Breakaway battery & switch. LT235/85R16 LRE Tires on 8 Lug silver mod wheels, 5'x14" ramps slide in rear. Spare tire/wheel included on this trailer. Added on options 1). tool box in front of floor under gooseneck 2). 2nd 10k drop leg jack 3). 4' Steel Tread Plate on dovetail

Pic of the gooseneck in 24' form. Now picture that Box mounted to it. Am I crazy? I haven't ran that one by the trailer man yet. Bet he laughs.
SENECK%20MT%2083%20x%2024%20TA5%20Wood%20Bed%20002.jpg

Well then I start thinking. **** for the dollars, and less hassle just get an enclosed and be done with it. Holy **** they are a lot of dough. And I'm back to the bumperpull arguement. But then I'd always keep what I'm hauling conceiled. Always have a place to keep **** loaded and stored and out of the elements. As well a place to freaking sleep on trips.

Whats y'alls thoughts? Fuggin' hard descion, and its big dollars.

I've been in the same situation for several years......now I'm thinking of getting out of all of it for other interests. I'm betting you can get a very nice but used 24' enclosed for about the same dollar as that gooseneck and storage box. Been a couple nice ones on Tenn Offroad in recent months for seems like $4500-5000 range with cabinets and A/C. I seriously stalked a guy for a couple weeks on the one with air but I couldn't spring the $$ for it.

Well I am sort in the same boat as you. I have been borrowing a trailer for the last couple of years and now its time to buy one. I have been pulling a gooseneck 20ft 5' dove. I am going to buy either a 20' or 18' bumperpull. I don't like the way the Gooseneck takes up the whole bed of the truck. I'm just going to put a toolbox on the front of my trailer for spare parts and other crap.
Plus a Bumperpull is alot cheaper than a Gooseneck.

If my jeep would fit in an enclosed trailer I would probably try and buy one. It would be nice to have it always locked up and have a place to stay when its pooring down rain.

6uldv8 said:
As much as you guys are willing to travel for your wheeling I'd love the enclosed for instant camping facilities!
Yep insta camp. Only thing missing is showers.

Based on our conversations you know the way I would go. Those pics you posted look sweet. Are you factoring cost into the equation? Pro's/Con's of Each IMO:
Bumperpull with Racer Box
Huge Storage Box (maybe too big)
More Common Application (vs GN)
Easier to lend out (Pro or Con ;D)
Doesn't pull as good

GN with Smaller Racer Box
Box would probably be more realastic size wise
Harder to Lend Out (Pro or Con)
Pull Better
Have to pay extra $ for the hitch
Could cause problems with your lift/tires (Probably not though)
Less Bed Storage (Mitigated by Racer Box)

Enclosed
Same Pro's/Con's of Bumperpull
Can live out of it
Much heavier and boxy, means poor mileage when pulling and will push you around the road in BP form
Enclosed storage
Not all rigs will fit inside (Pro or Con)
Hard to walk around the rig once inside
Cost a whole lot of jack

If you can swing and enclosed and only want to haul your junk I would go that route. Insta-shelter is priceless IMO. Tents suck.

If I were factoring cost, I'd steal one of those car dolly's from uhaul. SHIAT! They's some high $$$' shiat!

The loan out deal. Yeah I would have to loan a trailer out to my dad. If it were a GN, then I'd have to loan him the truck and trailer.

No arguing a GN trailers so much better. And the thought that my truck has 115k on it, so I'll be getting a new one in the next two years I expect, and I want a dually.

But damn an enclosed sounds good except 3 big CONS: Cost, bumperpull, and parachute

I pulled my CJ inside a local guys racecar trailer just to see how it would fit and how I'd like it.........OMG! Instant orgasm! It was tight getting around the tires but I'd give both my nuts for that thing. He had hardwired 110V lights and A/C and had a workbench in the front. He carries cots and a porta pottie.

Or get a 2345345' GN enclosed like Heath and let it almost take out your back window on the way to Bama. :eek: Wait he already sold that for a longer one.

Which one will be easier to store? Where will that happen? The shop looked damn full when I was there and not easy to manuver a big ass trailer around.

Yeah where/how you store it will be a big factor also. I love the idea of having your trailer permanetly loaded, but you don't have to have an enclosed to do that. That Racer Box should do the job.

**** a bumper pull enclosed. you can get a goose enclosed for a decent dollar and a reasonable length.
that being said, why not spring $1500 for a trailer now and get some saving built back up before you drop $5K on an enclosed?
Ultimate trailer, gooseneck enclosed without living quarters that has 24' of deck inside and a neck you can sleep in.

I got trailer docking secured. No worries on parking/storing it. I went and looked at trailers over lunch, nothing appealing at all.

One of the plant guys I work with daily just bought this for $9500 Which holy **** he stole it. He said he called the guy, heard what he wanted to hear and hit the Buy it Now. Before he picked it up the son of the old man found the reciept, $23k is what he paid a couple years ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-28ft-Cyclone-Storm-Enclosed-Car-Trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80769QQihZ007QQitemZ170144344192QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

2003 28 foot Cyclone Storm Enclosed Car Trailer Black, 28' inside dimension, 102" wide, 7' ceiling, Curb side door 48", Street side door 48", Long tongue with 2-5/16 coupler, 10,000 lbs GVW, Electric brakes with brake away switch, Electric tongue jack, Safety chains, Aluminum wheels, 110 volt exterior lights and plugs, Wired for AC, Rail for awning, 2 roof vents, 4000 lbs electric superwinch, 6 D rings mounted in floor, 4 ratchet straps with builtin axle straps, 2 spare tire wells in floor, 1 spare tire on aluminum wheel, 12 volt interior lights and plugs , 110 volt interior lights and plugs, Finished interior with cabinets, Aluminum diamond plate floor and ramp
c301_1.jpg

BTW he lives in Decatur, AL. He told me of another Storm 28' that's just on the other side of the Tenn line that's a year older and not the 7' ceiling, no electric jack, or winch for $9500. But **** I don't need a 28' trailer, I'd prolly get lost in one that big.

Kelly, there are no $1500 trailers around down here. Let me know if you know one that isn't beat to **** up there. The messicans snatch up trailers day in day out down here. Thats also why its impossible to find S-10's or anything of the like down here. Messicans are like moths to a lightbulb on that ****.

I really wan't even looking for an enclosed and all of a sudden it starts making sense. Still need to get the measurements on this buggy and even buy it before I get to far ahead of myself. Just doing the research.

Wyatt, I can offer you a package deal right now... dually, g/n trailer and trail rig... no plane tickets, no hassle, come over and inspect it... even has a brand new, never-been-used, Atlas II transfer case!

All for the low-low price of $70,000.00.... cash.

Todd thats a very generous offer, but I'm long one tow rig, and think I can score a Buggy and trailer for a lot less than half you offer. But I'll throw it in the que. Does that price include or exclude the repainting of all the orange and removal do the "T"?