• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer / truck tool storage ideas

patooyee

My least favorite part about wheeling is the ordeal of loading the truck and trailer up and unloading it after. Not the actual act of loading the rig, that's the easy part. But I don't have another set of tools to keep on my trailer / truck so I end up having to go through my entire shop tool box and selectively pulling stuff out and then putting it all back every time. Inevitably I'm always doing this last minute on the way out of town so I often forget important tools in the rush. I also don't have a great way to store these tools. I have a tool bag that I keep in the buggy with most of it but in all honesty 99% of those tools could be left at the truck / trailer and not affect me. I mainly just keep them in the bag / buggy because its the only storage I have.

So this year I am going to try to start collecting up a second set of trail tools to keep on my trailer with the goal being to get to the point that, when I want to go, all I have to do is hook up the trailer, load the buggy, and go. But the first part this plan requires decent trailer storage. I have a low-deck trailer with fenders that I drive over to get the buggy on. I'm afraid that I will drag any under-body cabinets I install all over the pavements on hills and such with the deck being so low. Anyone have any experience with similar trailers? Anyone got any other creative storage solutions?

Also, what are good cheap tools to keep on the trailer? I've had good experiences with HF ratcheting wrenches, are their normal ratchets and sockets as good?

I have the same problem as most others also. This should get a lot of attention and hopefully some great ideas. Thanks Patooyee have been thinking the same thing just never had a chance to ask.

I've had bad experience with HF ratchets, fit-all wrenches, and channel locks. Pretty much anything that has moving parts that require pretty tight tolerances. All other hand tools are good for the trail. Can spend ~$200 and have a decent set of trail tools.

Can't help with storage. I use a tool bag and can't find whit when I need it. End up dumping the whole thing out to find what I need.

Re: Re: Trailer / truck tool storage ideas

I have an entire set of tools in my trail truck, tow rig, and a "grab bag" for the rock crawler.

Just go to hf and actually lay hands on the tools before you buy them. Quality is very apparent.

Most of the Pittsburgh "pro" branded tools are decent.

My favorite and most used trail tool is probably the "pro" adjustable wrench. It's legit

What would be really cool is an actual tool box with drawers mounted on the trailer that had some sort of locking & water tight door on it for access. Alternatively, maybe just a regular tool box mounted inside some sort of water tight cabinet would work.

I can't find the thread you are talking about ....

What about putting something like this inside of a craigs List truck box mounted on its side so that it stood up and opened like a refrigerator?

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-drawer-red-end-cabinet-for-roller-tool-chest-68785.html

I have a truck box mounted on the front of my trailer anyway. I could just stand it up on end and put another next to it, maybe build some shelves to put in the other one for fluids, chains, binders, etc.

This would all be pretty noisy going down the road though so maybe some kind of foam liners on the bottom of each drawer?

Also thought about basically extending my ramps all the way across the middle of the trailer so that there would be storage space underneath in the middle for cabinets. But that kind of eliminates other uses for the trailer like hauling long sticks of steel, etc.

Another idea was to build a sub-frame over the current deck for ride the buggy on so that there would be drawers underneath the buggy. That's quite a project though.

Re: Re: Trailer / truck tool storage ideas

Camper shell or toneau cover on the truck.

Mount a cheap "top box" in the bed.

Or a truck tool box with a couple separate tool bags for sockets/wrenches pliers/screw drivers wiring etc

Guess I should have named this thread differently, but prefer to have everything on the trailer so that I don't always have it in the bed of the truck when not towing.

i have the same issue, low, small trailer. i have a tool box on the front but it fills up quick. i use plastic totes. you can spend as little or as much as you want on them. organize, label and keep them in the garage till i'm ready to ride. gets the job done and keeps everything out of the weather for the most part. hopefully someone has better idea's than me and i can find a better way to operate.

I have two fender well boxes with drawers that are permanently mounted in my truck, I am able to keep all the tools I need for the rzr and jeep, I went this route instead of the trailer route because I am always hauling different trailers and with them in the truck I never forget anything .

GIZMO1 said:
I have two fender well boxes with drawers that are permanently mounted in my truck, I am able to keep all the tools I need for the rzr and jeep, I went this route instead of the trailer route because I am always hauling different trailers and with them in the truck I never forget anything .

I liked those boxes of yours when I borrowed that wrench from you. I was going to ask where you got them? The tools I need to work on rockwells wouldn't fit in them but I suspect there are other / different options?

John G had a thread on here about some kind of race tool box the was $$$ but well worth it had all kinds of storage.