• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailers tires....is my Chevy just towing my trailer too fast?

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
5.3 liters of gasified fury!!!

Seriously though, i've gone through 4 tires on my regular old bottom of the line 18ft car trailer. Granted....I ride damn near EVERY weekend towing 45 min. up and back, but surely to God the tires shouldn't wear out in a YEAR? I mean, most tires I see have good tread and dry rot on them.

I've been told that these bottom of the line trailers come with super shitty tires. They are some Carlisle bias ply 15" 205 or 215 whatever size. Is going to a radial brand tire the way to go?

Re:

Put some LT truck tires on it in the same size or bigger if they'll clear. I blew out all the Carlisle tires on my single car hauler

LT tires if they'll fit and have the capacity, but if you're running 15's, then get the Maxxis Radials and make sure to always run them at max psi. Trailer tires are only designed to run at max psi, anything less and any of them will pop in no time.

I have always run radials. I think it makes a huge difference. I had the carlisle radials before no problems. Running a cheap brand hi-run radial now. No problems so far. Oh and the advice about max psi is very good. Mine keep a min of 60 psi depending on load.

Are your axles bent in any way that may be causing them to wear quicker?

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought trailer axles have "toe" built into them so as you get going down the road it tracks smooth. If so maybe the spring perches are welded in wrong spots.

Just throwing out an idea besides what type of tire you are using.

Radial Kumho 857 trailer tires. Only thing I buy now. Run two on my work trailer daily. Last 4 times as long as the cheap Carlisle/Kenda tractor surprise/ northern tool trailer tires. Also run 4 on my car/jeep trailer. Ride smoother, don't chunk as bad and definitely last longer as far as mileage.

$125 on tire rack.

j-mox said:
Are your axles bent in any way that may be causing them to wear quicker?

Just throwing out an idea besides what type of tire you are using.

^^^ Definitely make sure trailer alignment is good. It the trailer has been hit, slid to side, etc it can throw of the alignment and it will wear out tires FAST. (ask me how I know) Find a place w/trailer alignment rack and get it checked.

Also, Im sure you're not, but dont mix radials and bias, they will wear funny.

I'll second getting quality radials. Good luck

Chinese trailer tires make some pretty sparks in the rear view mirror when they blow out at night. :eek:

Sawzall by [quote author=Sawzall said:
Chinese trailer tires make some pretty sparks in the rear view mirror when they blow out at night. :eek:
link=topic=38139.msg468246#msg468246 date=1422412930]
[/quote]

We'll see.....i couldn't find anything bad about'em.