• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailers tires....is my Chevy just towing my trailer too fast?

Tony, how have these held up for you. I'm in the market and need some input, Thanks

tonybolton said:
Well...i ended up going with the Trailer Kings....the Maxxis variety was jus out of my price range. These were 70 - something with free shipping.

The reviews I found online were all very well talked about.

ST 205/75R15 Trailer King Tire Load Range D Radial 8 Ply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXCTXLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_cheYub0CPBJW0
I have had trailer kings for about 5 years now, they have been good to me.

Re: Re: Trailers tires....is my Chevy just towing my trailer too fast?

tyleecw said:
Tony, how have these held up for you. I'm in the market and need some input, Thanks
Wow I was just going to update this yesterday and forgot all about it. The tires look brand-new still...there's no weird wearing and it tows so much better than those old bias plies I had. I'm definitely glad I bought these tires!!!

Thanks, I have been running radial car tires and one just blew apart all over the tread surface setting in the yard. Think I'll just get a whole set and not have to worry about the rest.
Thanks

Not sure if everyone knows this but trailer tires aren't supposed to really wear out. The tread on them will last much longer than the tire is "good" for. Ideally they are supposed just be replaced after they reach a certain age. Most of us don't do that and just ride them until they blow out. (Myself included.) Exposure to sun and elements decreases their life span. Trailers do often come with crappy tires to begin with, and sometimes these tires have sat in warehouses for years before they even make it onto the trailer and then sit outside on the trailer for a long time before it is sold. A lot of the time the tires on a trailer you buy are beyond their life span when you buy it. Then most of us store the trailers outside exposed as well.

I used to blow out tons of trailer tires. I tried using LT but the ones I was buying were used and old as well. I finally broke down and got all new tires, verified the manufacture dates on them, and problems are fixed for the most part. I do rarely still blow one out due to road debris. The best thing I did was buy the tires at either Wal-Mart or Discount Tires, big chains that have locations all over the US. I buy the lifetime replacement warranties. Now when I blow one I just find the closest location to where I'm at, bring it in, and have it replaced for free.

Trailer tires see a rough sidewall load. Not only from heavy loads and rubbing curbs. They also fight each other in sharp turns on dual axle trailers which kneads the sidewalls like Play-dough and tears them apart internally. You can't see them coming apart until they blow. That's why they are "supposed" to be replaced based on age and not visible wear.

tyleecw said:
Thanks, I have been running radial car tires and one just blew apart all over the tread surface setting in the yard. Think I'll just get a whole set and not have to worry about the rest.
Thanks
That's what I did.....all 4 new and tossed the 2 best old bias plies in bed for spares.

One of my better purchases I'd say.

I think I got the Chinese trailer tires that come with magnetic plys. 400 mi trip 3 flats all at different intervals and different nails. Put some Carlisles on, and havent had another flat. I've been getting 12-15k out of mine.
I got lazy this past year and didnt rotate on my big enclosed Featherlite and ****ing insides on my back axle are toast! Balance and rotate make a huge difference.

What he said, I balance all trailer tires I install and people look at me like I'm stupid. All that vibrating isn't good for wheel bearings and such. Carlisle makes a good trailer tire, they make a bias and a radials. I have the bias on my dump trailer and realized putting them on was a mistake when I pulled it to the dump with the tear off from my house roof on it (was honestly over weighted). Radials just seem to pull better and sway less even when trailer is loaded correctly. I think most if not all of the trailer tires come from China, but some are built better than others.

Hell Tony when I took you to get your money maker's repaired the truck and trailer felt like it was ready for autocross racing.???????????? :rolf:

tonybolton said:
Ha! It's pretty gutless on hills. You really gotta prepare for'em.
I haul with the same truck. I feel your pain. What gears are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car trailer came with these tires. Don't know if they are expensive but doubt they are. Ran the absolute crap out of them for years. Always kept them full of air.
Load star tires made in taiwan. 205/75/15 load range c

I literallly ran them until the tread wore out

Stay away from cheap China, Indiana tire's. Ran USA made Goodyear trailer tires fir years, never had a blow out it cap pill off, besides some nails here and there ran great. Now the cost more then radial USA tire's, so I ran a set of China trailer tire's ($90 a tire hard to beat), had 4 blow outs in one month...end up spending more then what a set of USA Firestone radials would have cost. I've ran one sets of Firestones in the past 6 years, just now on second set. Put some where around 10000 miles a year on trailer. Have not had any blow outs or caps pill off. Each time a nail or screw get in them, the tire is easily fixed. What ever you do but good USA made E load tire's and you want have any trouble.

Tony, I'm bringing this back up. How many miles did you get out of that last set you bought? My trailer has to have a set ASAP.

Fwiw... discount tire/ America's tire is the only company ive gound that will warranty a trailer tire. I really like the free tires as i always blow tires... i haven't bought tires in years for my trailers

You may want to consider the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires if this is for a typical 16-18' tandem axle car hauler. They are one of the few, if not only, made in USA light trailer tires. They have a higher load rating and higher pressure than comparae tires. I bought a set in 2017 for my 16' car hauler and pulled my 16' trailer with a Jeep from FL to Moab and back at 80+ mph. Been using it probably once a month since then and still have good tread and no signs of dry rot. Cost wise they were about the same as the Maxxis.

creepycrawly said:
Tony, I'm bringing this back up. How many miles did you get out of that last set you bought? My trailer has to have a set ASAP.
They're still going strong since initial purchase.

I probably only ridden about half as much this year as I have in the past but that's still probably a lot more than most people on this board.

Plenty of tread and only minor feathering on rear set...only noticeable if you run your hands over it. I've kept all 4 at 40psi....never had to put a pump on them.

I can't really say how many miles but it's made a few Adventure off-road park runs which is about 2 hours away a few Golden Mountain runs which is about 2 hours away and who the hell knows how many Windrock runs which is about 40 minutes away.

Generally speeds in the 70-80mph 99% of the way to/from.