• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trans cooler

jeeppoor

WE went do to Windrock last week. Not one of our greatest ideas. lol The time of year not Windrock. We usual go every year for the past 5 - years in the spring. But people (the ones with kids) complained that it was in the middle of the school year and they could not go. So we changed the date for the end of July. Made sure there wasn't any events being help. And we went down. (most from Michigan, 1 from Texas).
We all go and get taught a big lesson in what it keeps to keep a engine and tran cool.
So that being said.
I am going to mount a trans oil cooler (with a fan) on the back bars of my jeep (no room under the hood, and don't want it in the cab because we wheel with 2 cattle dogs). What is the difference (if any) between Tube and Fin, Plate and Heat Sink?
I only want to do this once.
So what does hardline say?
What is everyone else running?

Waffle said:
Google your question (stacked plate vs tube and fin cooler) then start reading.
I have done that. And I have a little experience with both. But on a much larger scale (think 2000 ton injection molding machine).
I was just wondering what everyone that lives in the heat runs. We don't have that problem up here in Michigan.

https://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/universal/remote-mount2013-10-28-09-53-271073910258/13-row-plate-fin-engine-oil-cooler-kit-with-sandwich-adapter-detail

This is the one I just ordered for my buggy

Re:

tonybolton said:
I would do it right and go bar and plate with dedicated fan.

I plan to do that with mine.....jus minimal motivation...
[/quote
Well you seen what we had to do to wheel when we were down there last week. And the trans still got hot trying to keep up with the Famous Tony B. LOL

Waffle said:
I'll share what worked for me. I have a rear radiator buggy mounted close behind my seats with 2 spal 12" lo pro fans. First I tried the Trucool max 49211 and I struggled to get the trans temps above 140f. So I switched to the slightly smaller 49201 and it never tops 190 with 170 being the avg.

http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

This right here is the ticket

Anybody have problems fastening one to the front of your radiator and it tearing the radiator up? I know (think) a lot of stock applications do this but I thought I heard once that its not a good idea with as much as we bounce around. Ive been running a Derale unit that is plumbed to both my steering and trans and is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. I never had a problem with it until I went from a 700r4 to a 400 and now its wanting to get hot so I was about to start a thread on this topic myself.

You could probably make a really thin bracket to mount it in front of the radiator but not directly to the rad.

Re: Re: Trans cooler

onepieceatatime said:
Anybody have problems fastening one to the front of your radiator and it tearing the radiator up? I know (think) a lot of stock applications do this but I thought I heard once that its not a good idea with as much as we bounce around. Ive been running a Derale unit that is plumbed to both my steering and trans and is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. I never had a problem with it until I went from a 700r4 to a 400 and now its wanting to get hot so I was about to start a thread on this topic myself.
The zipties to radiator cooler was the demise of my old radiator.

300$ mistake....i had to #findthemoney on that one :'(

What size lines on a remote cooler should I run? I see were it says 6AN is for trans and 8AN is for oil. Would using the bigger line cause not enough time for the cooler to do it's job because of the more flow? Or am I over thinking this?

I'm debating on which to install on a new build. If I have room I'd like to go with a dedicate fan type cooler but now this thread has me wondering about the trucool cooler. I will be running rear radiator with dual fans. Has anybody ran both and if so, any noticeable difference?

I think I am going to go with a Derale cooler with a fan.
Now next question. who runs their tans cooling lines through their radiator?
I have read both sides of the point and they seem to make sense.
The ones that run it through their radiator is so their trans gets up to temp and stays there. Seems mostly in colder states.
Others say not through the radiator because now you are added heat to the radiator.
We are on Michigan. But do not do any winter wheeling it. We do wheel all over. We go down south and are planning on going out west.
So what do you guys do in the south or out west where it gets hot?
Through the radiator or not?

My engine and trans have separate coolers all together. In my opinion the engine gets hotter faster than the trans. But I don't exactly have a normal engine.

Dirt700 said:
https://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/universal/remote-mount2013-10-28-09-53-271073910258/13-row-plate-fin-engine-oil-cooler-kit-with-sandwich-adapter-detail

This is the one I just ordered for my buggy

I have one of these mounted under my buggy in the rear it works but I wish I had gotten a bigger one it still gets a little hot on long hard pulls!

Check out the Derale Hyper-cool stacked plate coolers. They make 19, 25, and 40 row versions. That is their most efficient series.

You want a stacked plate type cooler, in my experience the tube and fin style do not work nearly as well.