• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transfering a Pistol in WA?

TrikeKid

Guy offered me a couple guns for my Ford, one of them being a Sig P225. What I need to know is if it's legal for me to have that gun being that I'm not 21. Obviously I can't go buy a pistol from a shop, but does the same rule apply to a private transfer? What all would be involved paperwork wise if I did do this deal (the pistol is just a bonus, the shotgun he has is the gun I'm really after but it doesn't add up to the value of the car)

You are legal to own it if 18. I would get a copy of his drivers LIC and a bill of sale just to clear you if it ever questioned by law enforcement about theft someday.

No papers to put in the mail. You can, but its not required and I would not do it.

I bought my 1st pistol 6mos before I turned 21. I just locked it away as to not get in any trouble. On my 21st Bday I applied for my CWP and blew the **** out of everything in sight!
Sorry, don't know the law but figured better safe than sorry.:awesomework:

you could get into trouble but these guys are right, get a bill of sale and lock it up till you are 21 or you could have it under your dads name. just make sure what ever you do, do not drive with it in your car. i would just license it under your dad that way you can still shoot it or sale it.

You can legally posses it, but that's about all you can do with it until you are 21. There is no paperwork required, you can fill out this form (http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf) and submit it to the DOL, but unless the seller wants to, I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I would let a parent or somebody else you trust keep a hold of it until you turn 21.

Here is the RCW concerning you exact situation:

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

Here are all firearm related RCW's if you are interested in them:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Yeah can't help much. Gramps gave me my first pistol when I turned 14, a Colt Gov't Model 45acp.

You can carry it during hunting season at any age, can't legally own till you are 18...can't open carry (outside of hunting season) or CPP till you're 21...we have some pretty dumb laws :eeek:

Thanks guys, yeah I didn't plan on shooting it much other than to get accustomed to it and that'd be in my back yard here since I wouldn't be able to buy my own ammo till 21 anyway. There's just not a lot of leeway with gun stuff that doesn't turn into a felony so I wanted to be sure.

Next question, is there any way to run the numbers on these guns to make sure they're not stolen? The pics he sent me the numbers are still intact but I have no way of knowing where he got the guns from etc...

the last time i dod a transfer with a firearm , i just called the sherrifs dept.
an old timer took the numbers from me, and told me they were at least clean on his screen....

he then commenced to tell me that did not mean they were not stolen , and if they were and i was in posession blah bla h blah.....

meet the guy, feel him out.is he sketchy?does he act like a fUk?

have your dad meet him, ya know.eagle eye the mother ****er , see if he gets nervous.
if he doesna, they are pArobably his....:redneck:

just sayin.really, in this day and age.who knows.......just trust your gut:awesomework:
cheers, brian

you can buy ammo for it as long as you say that its for a rifle like a carbine, my friend did that for years they sold him 9mm ammo if he said it was for his beretta carbine

Yeah, the guy doesn't seem like the usual CL scrub but he doesnt' seem to know much about cars in general either. I may still have a cash sale on the car though, which as appealing as the guns are, is more of what I need right now.