• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trifecta 2.0 Rebuild

emarsh205

Hey guys,

I'm new to the page so don't shank me just yet. I bought the Trifecta buggy, built by Jason Washburn of WOD, back in time and finally have gotten around to giving it the overhaul it needed. Most of the rebuild it cosmetic stuff but it does have a few issues that are being resolved. Figured I'd create this post to keep up with the progress. Hoping to have it done by the first SRRS event in 2017. I've been handling all of the cosmetic stuff and my local guys at Kelly's Mechanical Services have been doing all the heavy lifting.

Here's a link to the original build, done by Jason Washburn:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1027210-trifecta-build-all-yota-3-seat-buggy.html

I'll start the post out with the way I got it. The buggy was actually in pretty good shape and performed really well the few times I took it out before the breakdown but it was leaking from every possible place and had a good list of other small issues (motor knocking, electrical issues, etc). I wish I had time to document everything that has been changed or added but I'll just start from where it sits.

Here she is day 1:

Progress of the break down:

There was all sorts of broken shyt but here are a few photos of odds and ends:

Old Spartan Lockers were welded up so they were done away with:

Old floor and trans tunnel were made of 18 gauge, spot welded, and the rust had done a pretty good job of eating it up so the old floor was town out and a new one made of 3/16" was put in:

Old rear winch plate was a little too thing for my liking so it was removed and replaced:

It was previously skinless and I got tired of the wife complaining about stuff getting in the cab so I had the guys make up some new skins and put tabs in:

The seats were dried out and fading on the back so I went ahead and redyed them:

I'm OCD as hell and my plan was for everything to get repainted so I went to town. I haven't stopped spraying small items in weeks and I don't plan to until everything gets a fresh coat. Even the pedal assemblies got some loving:

Transmission and both cases were gone through, resealed, and repainted:

Once everything was buttoned up on the chassis I went ahead and had it sandblasted, primed, and got ready to coat the floor with LINE-X. I work on the side at our local franchise, where I used to be GM, and I can't leave anything without a coating of LINE-X. If you know me then you know how crazy I get with the LINE-X gun.

Floor coated and ready for paint. Going with single stage Plum Crazy Purple on the Chassis, Digital Camo on the skins:

Getting a jump on the skins. This is going to take a lot of time and work.

Grabbed up a set of steel 16.5"s from the Hardline FB page and ordered a DIY Chassis Unilimited beadlock kit with anti-coning rings and 1/4" outer rings:

Sandlbasted the outer rings and gave them a coat of the good stuff:

Slapped some single stage on the outer rings. Broke down and bought some Boggers. Planning on grooving the tread once I get it on the trail a time or two. Before you say it, I'm well aware of how they're known to perform (or lack there of) on rocks.

The notorious Longfield knob had seen better days so my OCD made me coat it:

Forgive me for all of the gaps but I'm just trying to play catch up with the progress. I want to restate that this buggy was awesome before I got it. Jason did one heck of a job building it in a reasonable budget and I couldn't be happier with it. I also want to say thanks to the guys at Kelly's Mechanical for doing such a killer job on fixing everything thus far and for their fab work on the chassis.

Went ahead and gave the new ricer lug nuts a coat of the good stuff. I thought they looked cool so I had to have them. Hopefully the outer ring will keep them from getting ripped off. Yes, I have another box of them ;D:

First coat made it on the chassis. Currently waiting on the second coat to dry and then we'll start reassembly:

Orange peel like crazy but who cares, it's a buggy.

That hood looks awesome. I was following this build on pirate, good to see this buggy getting some love.

ToyotaTom said:
That hood looks awesome. I was following this build on pirate, good to see this buggy getting some love.

I've been really happy with the work KMS did on the skins and floor. The buggy functioned great before the rebuild and Jason sold it to me a for a good price. No complaints on my end, that's for sure!

I remember reading his build thread a couple years back. I always enjoy seeing someone take something that is cool, then giving it even more attention to take it up another notch. Nice color choice!

nhl_bullitt said:
I remember reading his build thread a couple years back. I always enjoy seeing someone take something that is cool, then giving it even more attention to take it up another notch. Nice color choice!

Thanks. I am looking forward to having it finished up. My goal is to make it to the first SRRS event.

Made a little headway today. Ceramic coated the headers, will apply the clear coat tomorrow.

Planning on finishing up the skins in the next few days. Logos are inlaid and Premium top coat is on. White and Plum Crazy digital camo will go on tomorrow.

Looking good! I also remember following the original build thread on Pirate. Always like seeing "older" builds getting refurbished.

ridered3 said:
Looking good! I also remember following the original build thread on Pirate. Always like seeing "older" builds getting refurbished.

Thank ya sir. Looking forward to having it back on the trail. It's getting closer little by litte.

The old inks were bent so new ones were made. Hopefully I'll have time over the holiday to sandblast and paint them.

The coilovers have been at BTF for 3 months but the springs are finally back from powder and will be assembled next week.

I put the sat the skins on to see how everything looked. Going to make a few changes to the hood and side panels.

I've spent way too much time on these LINE-X inlays but the skins are done. Filled them back in tonight with black.

pennsylvaniaboy said:
3/16 floor?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: bet that weighs a bit more now.

Just in certain spots, most is 1/8". Just used up what was left of the sheets I had laying around.