• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubes?

BroncoMike1

So I just swapped my street tires on for a road trip and noticed my trail tires have some pretty bad cracking on the side walls. They're at least 80 percent so I'd hate to have to toss em. Anybody run tubes? Is there any way to have them repaired? I know people have tires re vulcanized to repair sidewall damage but I don't know much about the process. Can it be applied to the whole side wall?

So I just swapped my street tires on for a road trip and noticed my trail tires have some pretty bad cracking on the side walls. They're at least 80 percent so I'd hate to have to toss em. Anybody run tubes? Is there any way to have them repaired? I know people have tires re vulcanized to repair sidewall damage but I don't know much about the process. Can it be applied to the whole side wall?

Buddy of mine tubed his spare 39. The tube kept moving in the tire. Might work better on smaller ones.

I was told that running at speed with tubes in tires not ment for tubes will cause excessive heat and isnt a good idea. For a trail only rig id probably give it a try.
I'm kinda in the same boat with a set of 9 year old 80% tsl's, no weather damage but sidewall cuts that make me nervous about running em on road.

I just disassembled a set of Gumbo mudder 38's from 16.5 wheels that they glued the tires to the bead with 3M weather stripping adhesive, & used the tubes for bead locks.
The tubes all hold air. So, if anybody needs a set of 38" tubes. Let me know.
They worked really well for deep snow wheeling!
I wouldn't trust it @ 75mph though!

As far as cracking goes. Tires have a shelf life, & the older, or more they get exposed to direct sun, dissipates the oil content in the rubber. Which leads to separations, etc. The drier the rubber gets, the more crystalized the tread gets. Good time for grooving & siping!
I've got a few cracks in my trail tires. I'm planning on just running them till they puke. :puke:

Last edited:
I get that they have a shelf life, just bums me out. It'll be a while before I can afford another set and I just got all the bugs worked out of the damn thing. If I trailered it, I wouldn't sweat it but I have to drive it to the trails and back.

I hear ya there. My backs out right now and I can barely move, haven't worked all week. It's driving me nuts, I really wanted to go to the Walker clean up.

You can come out/ help some other way if you like Mike...something that odesn't require moving around alot! :redneck: