• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone ever use screws & tubes?

DHR Darren

Instead of beadlocks?
I was just wondering as it would be much better than spending 2k to get 4 wheels double beadlocked right now.

No screws.

But I had a sidewall cut in a Bogger, years ago. This was before I knew of vulcanization. So I patched it with a normal 'tread' patch, and ran a tube. Worked fine at 7 - 10 psi.

I don't ever want to deliberately 'screw up' my tires. Get it? Punny, wasn't it?:haha:

Gawd I crack myself up.:haha:

They are a 16.5x12 Weld. I know, 16.5's suck and who wants 12's right...??? Lol
Honestly, they are what I had and I really like the look. I think they will do fine for what I want but really would like more bead "grip" if that makes sense.

Any photos of the welding on the safety bead?

You buildin a wheeler or a looker?

Dont sound fun wheeling on a D 44 with 47s on some 16.5 rims.

It will look bitchen tho!

PS, get some fawkin beadlocks. They is alot cheeeeper than ****ing up a set of $3000 tires with screws.

Them ol 47s aint a set of hoosiers at Elma. :beer:

get a d60, some hummer beadlocks, and DUAL cases. Otherwise wheeling that willys will not be much fun.

I agree!
It will get a 60 and double beadlocks on all 4 but for now I just wanted to get it together. Tell me more about these dual cases. I know about Toyota duals but never read up on American duals.

Anyone ever run the old 2 & 3 speed brownies in a wheeling application? I remember my dad put one in a 76 ford in the late 70s. It would crawl at a snails pace or do 70 in reverse if you could keep it straight.

You buildin a wheeler or a looker?

Dont sound fun wheeling on a D 44 with 47s on some 16.5 rims.

It will look bitchen tho!

PS, get some fawkin beadlocks. They is alot cheeeeper than ****ing up a set of $3000 tires with screws.

Them ol 47s aint a set of hoosiers at Elma. :beer:

get a d60, some hummer beadlocks, and DUAL cases. Otherwise wheeling that willys will not be much fun.

My Hummer 12 bolt bead lock wheels cost about $525 to put together.
Paid 400 originally, SOld the Military tires and inserts for about 200(after some trading and such),
Hummer H1 12 bolt beadlocks can be found on craigslist or Choppy should know where some are.
Then bought weldable bolt pattern inserts for 6 lug, $200 bucks
( http://www.trailworthyfab.com/H1-Hummer-Bead-Lock-Pressed-Wheel-Centers.html )
Then rock rings from D&J customs on here. about $125

cheers

Weld in beads work fine on 16.5 rims if done right. Search the subject and "Scoutaholic" on PBB. Did it long ago......
And this s no replacement for bead locks..... Also running tubes at low pressure is asking to rip off a valve stem.

I looked into screws but they only had 1 thread in the metal. I have 2 sets of double beadlocks with bolts threaded into the wheel where a safety bead would go. You have to start with the right wheels. I had a hard time finding 16.5s with no safety beads.

I looked into screws but they only had 1 thread in the metal. I have 2 sets of double beadlocks with bolts threaded into the wheel where a safety bead would go. You have to start with the right wheels. I had a hard time finding 16.5s with no safety beads.

Any pics?

You can run screws without tubed if you get the right screws. Google inchworm bead screws.

I was VERY tempted to do this back when they were in the R&D phases. I saved my coin for some DIY weld on beadlocks from Dan at Ruffstuff.

Ruffstuff doesn't make the kit anymore, but I know those wheels are still out there on the guys rig that I sold them to. And I'm not easy on my equipment. :awesomework: