• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo 350 mating to 6.0 chevy

biscuit

I am building a jeep and I am going to run a 6.0 liter Chevy engine. Will the turbo 350 transmission bolt up to the engine or will I have to have an adapter? Any information will be much appreciated.

bolt pattern is the same, you will need an LS spacer between the converter and flywheel though....AA, Summitt, JEGS all sell them thumb.gif

also the bolt pattern on the torque converter may/may not line up perfect... i was told if it didnt mate just right you just need to enlarge the holes slightly :dunno:

run an early model 6.0 flywheel [flat] and you do not need an adapter, you can drill 3 new holes for the conv or slot the old ones.

I bought a 31$ spacer from GM parts to put my 5.3 on a th350. The 6.0 should bolt right up with a flat flex platel.

before I knew about all these "cheaper" alternatives, I bought a kit from AA. It came with the spacer, new flywheel, bolts, and exhaust flanges....was around 150 bux 3-4 years ago.

So I'm still kind of confused about this. Everything I've heard is that you can either run the flat 6.0 flexplate and no spacer or the dished flexplate and and the spacer. But both of these setups do different things.

With the flat flexplate the starter gears will ride in a different spot on the starter and it will pull your converter out away from the trans presumably causing it to interface with the trans like it would on and old-school SBC application. Thus, it would seem to me that this setup is cherry from the perspective of the trans but not from the newgen engine's point of view.

With the dished flexplate and the spacer it will push the converter closer to the trans and the starter gears should interface as they would in a stock application for a newgen engine. Thus, this setup would seem to be cherry for the engine but not the old school trans.

But neither seems to be ideal. I asked this same question on Pirate and no one could answer it. I bought the parts to do both just in case.

And my recollection is hazy but I've seen that AA kit years ago and IIRC the flex plate is flat and the spacer is not the same as the GM spacer. Thus, the AA kit is something different altogether.

J. J.

My motor and flexplate came from a 03 2500 van. I slotted the holes and it bolted right up, no washers as spacers, no crank spacer. Works perfect.

The 6.0 with the flat flexplate comes with the spacer between the crank and the fp from the factory. That is the factory application for the spacer that people put between the dished fp and the TC. There are 2 common bolt patterns on GM th 350/400 TC, I have used both, but I have no idea what the factory application is to determine the difference. Some FP have dual patterns, some only have one, even if they have 6 holes.

I just re-read my thread on Pirate about it and I think my confusion came about because of the different spacers that are available.

The flat 6.0 flexplate uses a spacer between the crank and plate thereby spacing the plate out equal to the dished flexplate and extending the pilot journal bore. The spacer that people who use the dished flexplate use goes between the flexplate and converter, thereby just extending the pilot journal and doing nothing with the spacing of the plate. My confusion came about because people kept referring to spacers without knowing the difference between the two. IE "I used a dished flexplate and spacer and it works fine." "Well that's funny because I used a flat flexplate and spacer it it works fine, too."

So I *THINK* you can either use the flat 6.0 spacer and flat flexplate or the dished flexplate with the Summit spacer.

J. J.

put a 6.0 in my cj5 ,mostly drive on the street with my family, and used a turbo 400 converter and it bolted right up instaled a 5.3 for a friend with a turbo 350 and he bought a spacer and flywheel from aa and a direct bolt up as well several options are available and it is easy to get confused

patooyee said:
I just re-read my thread on Pirate about it and I think my confusion came about because of the different spacers that are available.

The flat 6.0 flexplate uses a spacer between the crank and plate thereby spacing the plate out equal to the dished flexplate and extending the pilot journal bore. The spacer that people who use the dished flexplate use goes between the flexplate and converter, thereby just extending the pilot journal and doing nothing with the spacing of the plate. My confusion came about because people kept referring to spacers without knowing the difference between the two. IE "I used a dished flexplate and spacer and it works fine." "Well that's funny because I used a flat flexplate and spacer it it works fine, too."

So I *THINK* you can either use the flat 6.0 spacer and flat flexplate or the dished flexplate with the Summit spacer.

J. J.

Your threads helped me a ton thumb.gif Thanks

I want to think everybody for the help all the information is helpful. i just bought the engine and it came out of a 2001 2500. I talked to my local mechanic and he said he did not know if it would bolt up or not. he called the transmission shop that builds transmissions for them and he said no problem.

Until the time comes I will keep reading all the good information on this threads.