• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turtle/Staircase AZ with a NWW

Symon623

Its a Hybrid
Another great turn out for this run on 12/26. 11 rigs with only 2 the same from the Friday run. There was more water in the wash then I had seen before;
Group shot;
P1070839.jpg

Last edited:
They say the worst day wheelin is better than the best day at work........ I tested that theory Sunday.... the title should actually only read "Turtle" since we didn't get to Staircase......

On the way up to Payson I lost 2 trailer tires and James needed my other spare cos he lost the tread off one of his trailer tires. We go 10 miles and I lose the spare tire off the trailer again. James takes off to Payson to look or a tire shop while Brad and I put James tire without the tread back on my trailer and we'll see how far we can get..... lasted me to Rye where I stopped and called the towing guy out of bed and bought a POS tire and had it mounted up and we were off to Payson where James found no tires shops open.

Meanwhile we find out that Alan from Higherground4x4 lost a trackbar mount and never made it to Payson.

We proceded to the resturaunt where we were to have breakfast at 0800 and we got there at 1000. everyone (9 other rigs worth) was in the parking lot waiting for us..... We proceded to the trail, Thom's wife was lookin for tire shops for us to get trailer tires after the run.

With 11 rigs headin to the trail it was bound to get better...... Such was not the case.... with all the rain we had last week there was more water in the wash then I had ever seen..... wet tires, wet rocks, mud, sand etc.... make for tricky situations.......

First I slid off a rock and wiped out my rear driveshaft, Brad and TC went back to my trailer to get my spare (Thanks again guys). I removed the broken shaft and proceeded as far as I could in front wheel drive and made it too the waterfall, bypassing all the fun optional lines.....

When I get to the waterfall my rear tire with the plugs let loose and started leaking bad so I through my spare on the left front so I could keep an eye on it and put the LF tire on the RR.....

Meanwhile, Jonathan broke a front axle on one of the optional lines down stream..... Not certain what the repair was but he was stuck with 3 wheel drive for the rest of the day......

We're all at the waterfall and there is 30" of water in the bottom of it but we're gonna give it a shot, spare tire and rear drivershaft and all...... Crawled it

Brad crawled it with his Sticky Krawlers, Charlie and TC took the strap after great efforts....James broke a left front hub or stubshaft and lost a bead on the right front at the same time......We couldn't get the beads to seat so I went back to the trailers to get his spare.....

While I was gone, Jim played on the fall only to break a rear axle shaft.......James got his spare on and we were headin back out...... Jonathan and James fought to get out in 3 wheel drive but we all made it back to the trailers to "try" to head home.....

Brad and I stopped by TC's place to borrow a trailer tire just in case but his trailer is a different size 5 lug pattern......Off we go to come home without a spare trailer tire....... we made it home witout incident other than the usual Phoenix idiot drivers that just cant seem to see us?

I'll get vids up tonight.....

Further up stream looking down stream;
P1070856.jpg

P1070857.jpg

P1070858.jpg

And some carnage, opened the u-joint ear right up;
P1070859.jpg

Here's where Brad took TC back to my trailer to get my spare driveshaft and I went up stream as far as I could in front wheel drive while the others played on all the optional stuff that I missed.

We had lunch at the waterfall. Noticed there was alot of water in it. So with my spare tire and my spare driveshaft I thought I'd try;
P1070860.jpg

P1070861.jpg

P1070865.jpg

P1070866.jpg

P1070868.jpg

P1070870.jpg

P1070871.jpg

P1070872.jpg

P1070874.jpg

Brad was next and made it look easy with his damn stickies;
P1070875.jpg

P1070876.jpg

P1070877.jpg

P1070878.jpg

Look at his drivers rear tire, thats a 39.5 Krawler;
P1070879.jpg

P1070880.jpg

P1070881.jpg

P1070882.jpg

P1070883.jpg

Fatbob trying a new line;
P1070913.jpg

While waiting for me to get back with Surf's spare tire Brad came back down to try the optional line;
P1070915.jpg

P1070916.jpg

P1070918.jpg

Got some vids of this (later) but he the sand was too much for the stickies here ......

From here it was a couple of ledges and alot of diff-dodging and we were done...... never made it to Staircase because of the late start and the amount of time spent on Turtle.

:awesomework: looks like fun.......... agian-------:fawkdancesmiley:

Thanks for posting I always like to see your wheelin reports