• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Underhood heat redux - manifolds vs. header wrap

tobyw

Can anyone comment from experience on the diffence in heat reduction benefits between going back to factory manifolds versus using header wrap? I've got a tremendous amount of underhood heat, and I'm pretty sure the headers are main culprit...

How about some pictures of the engine compartment?

Underhood heat is common for wheeling as the only airflow is created by the fan...which is sucking all the heat outa the radiator and into the engine compartment.

And whay to do care about under hood temps? Is something on fire or melting?

What is the temp under the hood?

On an EB with a 351 there isn't an engine compartment it is full!
Wrapping the headers dropped the temp 150 degrees on an 80 degree day at crawl speeds.
There was no way we were going back to headers because the engine runs cooler, the MPG was better and we had da'Power!:beer:
Ended up spacing the back of the hood up 1-inch and the wrap.

C

Don't have any pics of the engine compartment... But its your average YJ with a TBI Chevy small block, nothing special.

My issue is that I'm getting so much heat built up under there, that it has actually softened/melted the loom on a few of the wiring harness branches, and it transmits a horrid amount of heat through the firewall and thus onto my feet/shins. The motor runs right around 190, which of course is fine, but the exhaust heat is just oppressive.

Don't have any pics of the engine compartment... But its your average YJ with a TBI Chevy small block, nothing special.

My issue is that I'm getting so much heat built up under there, that it has actually softened/melted the loom on a few of the wiring harness branches, and it transmits a horrid amount of heat through the firewall and thus onto my feet/shins. The motor runs right around 190, which of course is fine, but the exhaust heat is just oppressive.

remove the fender wells or add spacers at you hood hinges to raise the hood a tad to let air flow out. Jeeps are pretty common for having a good air pocket to hold hot air in...

We had the same problem with the Sami, even the engine was running a bit on the hot side. Put hood vents in, which helped but didn't completely fix the issue. Some of the hood vents even melted a bit from the hot air coming out. We ended up cutting the fenderwells about 6-8" up from the frame to let the heat out. Haven't had a problem since.

Go to the hardware store and get those steel louvered vents with the screens in them, and find a VW/subaru radiator fan. They are smaller and thin, and mount them to the hood to help push the heat out! I've seen some guys do this and get the drop in temp that they need!

Header wraps do a good job, but they have a tendency to help speed up the death of a header, by trapping moisture next to the header and rusting them out!

Latest posts