• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Unofficial DNR/Reiter Rocky Buggy

Well yeah! It's just what I found on short notice. Usually you just use it to p/u the front of the log and start pulling........... I think something could be fabbed up pretty quick. I've never been to Reiter though and not sure what you have to deal with. I just hate to see ya build a ginn pole and then find out it puts the weight to far back or damages your rig. I know I wouldn't care on my rig, I'd just winch one up on the exo and start skidding but mine is a POS w/ F150 springs

while you mechanical engineers are figuring out the world's best buggy mod, where does one get those 2 man log lifters? If they're not too expensive, I'd be willing to purchase several of them and donate them to the cause. LET ME KNOW!

Those are definitely a tread lightly solution that could easily move a lot of stuff around by the time one larger log is transferred behind the buggy.

Terry

I would think that anything that is towed behind the buggy that in turn holds the log is going to greatly reduce maneuverability and since the "tow-behind" units aren't suspended in the same way as the buggy (or at all), will they even be able to follow the same path as the buggy?

while you mechanical engineers are figuring out the world's best buggy mod, where does one get those 2 man log lifters? If they're not too expensive, I'd be willing to purchase several of them and donate them to the cause. LET ME KNOW!

Those are definitely a tread lightly solution that could easily move a lot of stuff around by the time one larger log is transferred behind the buggy.

Terry

Some one find and post a link for these, please. I'll look too.

If they're not too much, ABSOLUTELY do that Terry. All volunteers backs will thank you:Dand be available for EVERY work party.

119033_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326322_200326322

Not too bad... Whadda ya think? Maybe 4-6 of them?

Wow! That would be nice.

How about we try 2 and see how they fair to the abuse.:awesomework:

Very generous......Mr. Money bags. I though I was the only Money.:looser::D

Money I think using your buggy for something like this is a bad idea. This is what they make log skidders for. Or tractors. (tread lightly, I know)

That being said I would love to help you FYSU and I have 2 empty bays in the shop if you need. Welder, grinder, drills, all that stuff.

As far as skidding the logs... I just read 11 pages of OVERTHINKING. You know how a logger would do it? You put a choker around one end and drag the bitches. That is why it's called 'skidding'.

Block and tackle, PB's, chokers, and chain and cable are some of the basic tools of the trade that will be needed.

Where are these logs being skidded to?

I'm assuming there is no timber value, just firewood?

And why not leave them there to rot? Rotting logs are good for the environment and provide some the richest habitat for critters.

Money I think using your buggy for something like this is a bad idea. This is what they make log skidders for. Or tractors. (tread lightly, I know)

That being said I would love to help you FYSU and I have 2 empty bays in the shop if you need. Welder, grinder, drills, all that stuff.

As far as skidding the logs... I just read 11 pages of OVERTHINKING. You know how a logger would do it? You put a choker around one end and drag the bitches. That is why it's called 'skidding'.

Block and tackle, PB's, chokers, and chain and cable are some of the basic tools of the trade that will be needed.

Where are these logs being skidded to?

I'm assuming there is no timber value, just firewood?

And why not leave them there to rot? Rotting logs are good for the environment and provide some the richest habitat for critters.

skidding with a choker would be great but I think it could get pretty difficult on the Sac-Up trail, not really a smooth flat road I see the log getting stuck quite often hence the over-thinking that is going on in the thread.

And they are wanting to move them around the Sac-Up trail for various reasons (opening lines, closing lines, boundaries, etc).

I ran a skidder for several years, they are built strong for a reason, I know it won't be used a whole lot, but it will still fatigue your buggy, but it's yours and if you want to risk it then :beer:
If the DNR was smart they would just get a skidder in there and be done with it, tread lightly is a political term that isn't realistic to nature.

There is alot of good things here.

My thought is Basicaly a rear stinger( not to tall ) with a block atttached to the high point and a rear winch. The block needs to be able to swivel and allow for us to atach to a log and drag it to the buggy. WHen the log gets close enough the block placement will lift the end slightly and you drive and place the log.

Bash plate needed with maybe some bolts or somthing welded that may help the log stay on the plate.

If posible you only want to have to set the choker line once, any more and its a waste of time.

Food for thought. Think very very tight trail with ruts you cant drive out of.

If we where doing this with straps and a winch we would snatch block the tree onto the trail. When the butt of the log was on the trail we would then remove the snatch block and either drag or winch the tree into place.

So with that if the back end of Marks buggy is able to do the work of the snatch block and then also the drive/drag/winch the log down the trail there is less rigging invloved.

I really hope that makes sense. It only requires a mount for a block and a rear winch.

Other things to think about if you have a winch that will hold 100 ft of cable only run 50 ft, then you dont have to watch it spool up. and if a block is acting as a second fairlead the winch can almost be unsupervised. Which can then be a 2 man team instead of a large group.

I dont think the rear winch(1700 lbs) and your air shock method is a good idea. I think it would sorta work but for how long? THe extra pressure in the shock will help over all. and it also relies on flat ground. If the log is in a hole your shocks may not lift it up high enough.

A good ring on your rear steer armor may also be a good attachement point/tow point.

I really hope that all makes sense. K.I.S.S. is usally the best.

You have my support in what you are doing, but I weld so many parts of skidders back together that I would recommend looking a USED line skidder over.

Look at the weak spots, look at the repairs, but truly, look at how they are built. They are heavy, winches are hydraulic, 5/8 line, or bigger, for a line skidder, 1" plate abounds.

The idea of the log arch is ok in an arborist trade, but in rough terrain, steering will be an issue ? Think of a forwarder. They piggy back the turn and then drive it out.

You are surrounded by knowledge in the timber industry, talk to the operators, owners and repair guys. In the steep and deep the amount of power needed to do this is dangerous. If you go with a vehicle design expect to make it purpose built and decide what to sacrifice.

We all know about winch safety, triple that for what you are doing. Also, pull up tight on your choker ring, keep the pendulum effect out. Give the tote a log shoe to hold the logs in.

It has been mentioned, but snatch blocks, cable and manpower are slower, can be safer, and you will not destroy your rig. Allot can be done with a swede hook and a peavey.

Again, I think you are on the right track Mark, I think you are truly one of the guys who is trying and sacrificing to get a job done. Be safe man, build it strong, then double it. Even then it will break, make sure you and those around you are safe when it does.

Keep going, your getting there. Just my .02 on what I see every day. Go big, go strong. You have shown you got the drive.

I may have some stuff you can use, depending on which direction you want to go. PM me if you are interested.

I have seen skidders and dozers drag logs through brush and stumps and **** you would NEVER (want to) take a buggy through.

In the grand scheme of dragging logs out of the woods the Sac-up trail is a breeze. Hell just drive the log truck up there. :redneck:

And yes I have driven both in and out of these ruts that can't be driven out of (back when it was 'legal') :fawkdancesmiley:

And I have officially stopped asking for suggestion's and opinions.:;

I continue asking for donations.:awesomework: