• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

updates on the Z

1TONZR2

Big mudda fugga!
As many of you know, I managed to tear up 2 different NP231s at Harlan last month, so I am tired of just do some things to just get it goin again....time to make it BEEF
so I decided to keep part of my 231 and build a doubler. I love the low gearing I had, but wish there was a middle ground sometimes, well here is my plan
first off, call Duffy at D.D. Machine (pirate vendor) and order this...
NP231/NP205 doubler kit from D.D. Machine
new seals/gaskets for the NP205 from Northwestfab.com
new billet bearing retainers for the 205 from Northwestfab.com

second half of my doubler....I will have 1:1, 2:1, 2.72:1, and 5.44:1...plenty of gearing for sure! The 205 uses a 32 spline input and 32 spline outputs. I did a little horse trading with HAD on pirate and got some 1410 yokes for the 205....
DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

also had to buy a new input gear for the 231, since the one from the second tcase was actually too short and didnt know it until I tore it back apart. no damage to the trans output which is a good thing...
DSC_0034.jpg

one on the left is the 2nd 231 input, middle one was from the 4:1 kit and the one on the right is the new one...gives me more spline engagement, which makes me happy...
Also have a 6 pinion planetary set coming for the 231, the 3 pinion I had was actually broke from the shock load of the main shaft breaking...no since in putting one of those back in.....
1123080744.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

no pics of the cases on the floor yet, forgot to do that the other day before I stuff it in the truck to mock it up so I can start dealing the shifter issues that the 231/205 has. I will go into more detail when I start that.

I am also picked up a 14B rear today. already geared to 5.13s and has an Eaton Posi unit in it..NOT a gov lock 140 bux, needs a couple of bearings...
DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

I am going to be doin some cage work inside the cab and prolly some sort of roll bar setup in the bed, going to try and keep the bed...just narrow it and bob.

Brian

picked up a couple of rockwell driveshafts today for cheap.....1410s baby! :eat:
and here are some pics of the doubler work..
here are the BLINGIN billet aluminum bearing retainers..
DSC_0019.jpg

first step in mating the 231 to the 205.....shift rail hits the adapters.
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

clearancing the aluminum adapters...
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

here they are bolted together...
DSC_0003.jpg

Nolen, if you are still around....here is a recent one
last trail it has seen....its at Harlan, after the first tcase broke....another tcase broken....LOL
Harlan027.jpg

Harlan, KY
DSC_0982.jpg

DSC_1255.jpg

DSC_1440.jpg

wow, that took a lot of case out making that shifter work. I just said fawk it and make my shift rail out the back of the case. shifts just fine. My 231 is also clocked up through the floorboard, so I had to have the rail come out the back, it was aimed into the middle of the case laughing1

ya, I thought about doing it that way, but I think this will work just fine. I have to have the case TIGed anyway, so whats another piece. it will look good once I am done.....hopefully. I need to get a snap ring and a seal for the 231 and I will have all the parts for the doubler.....I think I am going to make shifters, instead of buying them, doesnt look too hard.
What did you do about that big nut in the middle of the case?

Brian

ahhh...I dunno if I even tried to clock it up like you did on yours. guess its a little late for that now! this works out good for me, gonna give me room to make my shifters

alright, not much progress on this this, but I have been giving the wallet and cell phone a good workout ordering more parts. :indianajones:
things that are on the way:
dual handle cutting brake
Poly Big Black Cock Shocks 15"ers
60/14B 1410 yokes w/ straps
JD2 1.75" die
some replacement hiems for one I bent and spares

a few new things that I have: :woot:
160ft of 1.75" .120 wall DOM
50ft of 1.5" .120 wall ERW
D60 5.13/install kit
a few new bearins for the 14B
4-1410 ujoints
2 2.5 ton driveshafts
new MC and brakelines
145amp GM alt
6 pinion planetary

my brakes have always been kinda sub-par and after doin a lot of reading on pirate and a few other hot rod sites, I think my pedal ratio is too low. I will be able to change it a little by moving the push rod up towards the pivot....hope that helps out also need to check the front calipers and see if they are working right.

once the doubler is ready to mount up, I will drag the truck up on a trailer and take it to my buddies place to start working on the cage, front upper links, and skid plate. I would like to have the truck a little lower and a flatter belly skid that goes further back and possibly allows me to triangulate the lowers....I know I dont want it to low, since my wheel base is so loooong and I prolly wont shorten it any....but then again, ya never know!!! I have a deadline, but its really not a TON of work. the majority of the tube work could be done in a long weekend, I think.

alright I am done, starting to sound like Kelly in one of his rants.... :flipgotcha: :****:

got a few more things in this week....
DSC_0034.jpg

15" BBC shocks from Poly Performance, dual handle cutting brake, 1410 yokes for the 14B and 60, 1410 ujoints, and 5.13 gears for the HP60. there is also 200ft of tube that is not pictured since I couldnt fit it in the living room!!! LOL

the master cylinder is a warranty issue, the old one was leaking from the bore. I have had some issues with my brakes and hope to get them resolved this time around. I really think my pedal ratio is off, since i am using manual brakes. I am going to adjust the pushrod position to get a better ratio, hopefully that will help out. also got new hard line to replace some of the original stuff on the frame and to have all the same size.

the interior is completely stripped, other than the dash and it will more than likely stay that way. the interior would be PITA to put back in after the cage is in.
work on the doubler has been a little slow, lack of needed tools have kept me from getting the shifters done....got those now, so I should be able to knock that out this weekend...hopefully.

hope to have more updates coming in a little faster, should be getting the trucks over to Mikes sometime in the coming weeks...

Brian

some decent progress today. main rear hoop, horizontal "bed rail" hoop, plate the frame, did some grinding and cleaning on the frame where I cut a bunch junk off the frame. main thing is getting used to some of the equipment and learning the tricks of bending tube again. so far the only piece we messed up was the rear hoop, but it was right at the beginning, so I used it for something else. we took our sweet time doing the hoop, since it had 8 bends total...I am pretty pleased with the out come so far. should get quite a bit more done tomorrow, since there wont be any crazy bends to do. tried not to copy anyones design, but used a few things from each...
pics!!
zr2build008.jpg

zr2build010.jpg

zr2build009.jpg

zr2build012.jpg

Brian

today was a good day, made alot of progress and I am pleased with how it is turning out. everything is fully welded that you see in the pics. next weekend we will be knocking out the fuel cell mount and spare tire carrier, unless I get some time this week to go over there. we have a lot of bracing left to do, so it is far from done. definately lighter than the stock frame and bed thats for sure!! been a long weekend....

zr2build014.jpg

15.jpg

zr2build016.jpg

zr2build017.jpg

zr2build018.jpg

zr2build019.jpg

Brian

Got Coal? said:
Bet your neighbors love you :dblthumb:

the build is happening at my house
Actually most of them do they have elected me as the hoa president twice now, and a bunch of neighbors stopped to see what we are building

ya, I looked at a lot of different builds and tried to use a little bit from each one. there is only so much you can for a truggy...especially when you are new to the art of bending. I think we have done a pretty good job of making it "my own" its far from done thats for sure. thanks for the props!
as for his neighbors, I was worried about that as well, but it seemed like every hour or so a new one would walk up and see what was going on. we have been finishing up at about dark, so we havent been working into the night.....gotta keep em happy! :woot: :****:

That thing looks great. I wasn't sure by the first few photos, but the result looks hott. What a difference it has made. With the remote rad. and tire, you've got a cross between Baja and badass rock crawler. Great job Brian... :****: :driving: