• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

vortec to propane swap(should i)

sucmah

I have a 96 vortec 5.7. The motor has sat for atleast 2 years in my shop and it sat in a junk yard before that so i assume the spider injector assymbly is shot and i will have to replace($350). I also need to spend another $150 for fuel pump and filters and fittings. I have a reworked harness already but it is still an overcomplicated monster with 100 wires and sensors(i can sell that for $3-400). I am thinking of ditching the whole intake and harness and going propane right off the bat(this is a new buggy build). The parts will be about a wash at this point since i already have a couple tanks, bunch of propane hose, and some other misc. propane parts, if figure ill have about $400 in an aftermarket intake, mixer, ect.

I know nothing about chevy vortec motors so trail fix's would be a bitch with the injection setup but i have some experience with propane forklifts so i am not to worried about keeping it runnin on pane, i also have unlimited free propane so the fuel cost is another upside to the pane. Although i wont be driving the buggy everyday so fuel cost isnt that much of an issue. My other dilema is the disributor, is there anyway i can reuse the crank trigger computer controled vortec distributor or do i have to swap out to an HEI. I dont have much room above the dist. now so an HEI might be a tough fit.

give me your opinions.

Sounds to me like the propane setup would be the easier/better way to go. the more simple something is, the easier it is to fix on the trail... computers, sensors, wiring, etc don't like water and other **** encountered on the trail.

yah, i read that. Good thread, still trying to figure out the distributor thing. I got a buddy with an HEI that is going to lend it to me to try and see if it will even fit under the dash tube on the buggy, if it doesnt fit im back to square one.

Fix the Vortec, its not that complicated. The spider assembly probably is ok but ya never know. Propane is for forklifts, and BBQ pits.:haha: :haha: :D

Hmm, just fix it huh crash, Ok, i will. Now, on the chance my spider is junk, where is the best place to pick one up at, NAPA wants $456 for the upgraded version. Also, i am going to go junkyard on the fuel pump to keep costs down, some people say E2000 isnt enough for the 5.7. Any other sugestions for an OEM external inline pump???

Keep the vortec system, it is one of the best for power.

I would not assume the injector spider is bad. The newer style do not go bad near as often as the old style.

Do yourself a favor and use an OEM in tank pump. The poppets require 62 PSI and the in tank is the most reliable and is made for the job.

old style new style??? my motor is a 96, i dont know of any older than that, i am basing all of this off of things i have been told and read, if you have the original injector spider and the motor sits for a while, its done. Of corse this may all be a waste of server space since my injectors may be fine but i figure i might as well get my ducks in a row. Cant go intank for the pump at this point, external only. E8248 sounds like the ticket, does anyone know of an OEM application for that pump. Airtex doesnt say.

Last edited:
Holeshot, how much did they charge to fix your V6 injector assembly?

He fixed mine for free. I had a failed presure regulator on the injector assembly. This was a brand new unit that I had bought elsewhere (internet site) When the thing didnt work I pulled it out took it to the Dr. he replaced the fuel presure regulator for me and said he would take care of the warranty.
Great guy in my book. Give him a call, he is also good guy to talk with on the phone.

Another thing to think about is you licensing. Are you going to keep your rig street leagal or get orv tags?

THis state will charge you 250.00 dollars a year to get your tabs if your running propain, because your not buying gas and paying road tax.

Wow, that is good service, which one did you go to(theres like 8 different places on their sight). ANd the buggy is offroad only so taxes arnt an issue.

Another place to try is here....
http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm
They sell a CSFI upgrade for the failure-prone poppets! will usually ship same day-they've also got great pricing/ good quality work too!!!

Ah Ya, thats were I bought my fuel injector assembly. The one with the bad fuel presure regulator, and it had the new upgraded Lindertech regulator on it.

I'm not tring to bash on this company by any means, I know nobody is perfict, but you might as well spend your money with a local source.

Funning thing is the guy at Dr.Injector in Federal Way knows the guy at Lindertech, and he couldnt wait to call him and rub it in that he had to fix one of his bad boy regulators.

Ah Ya, thats were I bought my fuel injector assembly. The one with the bad fuel presure regulator, and it had the new upgraded Lindertech regulator on it.

I'm not tring to bash on this company by any means, I know nobody is perfict, but you might as well spend your money with a local source.

Funning thing is the guy at Dr.Injector in Federal Way knows the guy at Lindertech, and he couldnt wait to call him and rub it in that he had to fix one of his bad boy regulators.

Well, Like you said, nobody's perfect-sorry to hear you had a bum experience!!At least the guy here was able to help, I've heard good things about Dr Injector.... did he mention what he found wrong w/ it? When I went to work for my boss, he'd been using Linder's products for some time--part of that whole shop-to-shop netwoking thing; We've had no issues with any of the product since I've worked there (3 1/2 yrs); Hopefully you could maybe get some compensation from 'em?

Last edited: