• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

W56 input shaft "play"

monstaru

How long will a howling transmission last just getting wheeled?
It seems that both transmissions I have are quite loose in the input shaft area LOL

Looking at the manual , It does not seem to be possible to Just replace that bearing without removing the whole shaft..

Which means entire rebuild. After looking at the manual I am apprehensive to take this bitch apart.
Any words of wisdom here?:fawkdancesmiley:
cheers

Last edited:
Grab a half box of Rainier, a sixer of Pyramid and a couple 40's of Malt Liquor and tear into one. I have done a couple but it was nearly 20 years ago.

Grab a half box of Rainier, a sixer of Pyramid and a couple 40's of Malt Liquor and tear into one. I have done a couple but it was nearly 20 years ago.

Hahah. Man , I would REALLY fuuck it up by then :haha:

I found a rebuild kit on Ebay that matches part numbers with at least a few places I inquired about price.

Anyone have any negative input about part #BK162WS
It is the same kit at Autozone , Oreilly's , price grabber , transparts wharehouse, Etc.

It seems to be that the only "maybe" is the input bearing.

any help is appreciated.
cheers

Just me,

I would rpefert o run a WORN out OEM toyota part than one rebuilt with Ebay parts.

Good Toyota parts come from japan, not ebay.

Seriously, go find a good one and wiggle it, I think ya might be surprised at how many are pretty sloppy.

Put a good pilot BUSHING in, not a bearing. The bearing will **** its guts, then they land in the clutch.

fair enough,BUT
Nachi bearings, Koyo bearings, and synchro king synchros? Its the same kit the stores sell, or did you NOT get that ? I can always upgrade seals, and such.
I have NO experience with these transmissions, so it is highly likely I will absolutely test your theory by running the Old trans until I have the balls to rebuild the other trans. :fawkdancesmiley:

It is good to hear that most shafts have a pretty good wiggle.
Guess I'll find out..

Just me,

I would rpefert o run a WORN out OEM toyota part than one rebuilt with Ebay parts.

Good Toyota parts come from japan, not ebay.

Seriously, go find a good one and wiggle it, I think ya might be surprised at how many are pretty sloppy.

Put a good pilot BUSHING in, not a bearing. The bearing will **** its guts, then they land in the clutch.

Has nothing to do with ebay :rolleyes:

Has to do with being smart enough knowing what you are buying..

How long will a howling transmission last just getting wheeled?
It seems that both transmissions I have are quite loose in the input shaft area LOL

Looking at the manual , It does not seem to be possible to Just replace that bearing without removing the whole shaft..

Which means entire rebuild. After looking at the manual I am apprehensive to take this bitch apart.
Any words of wisdom here?:fawkdancesmiley:
cheers

Yes I believe you have to drop the countershaft down in the case to get the input out/replace the bearing.

Now when you say play you mean with it out of the rig you have some side to side play? Thats actually normal since the bearing is a roller bearing and not a tapered bearing and since there is a long distance to where you can hold the input and the bearing the amount of play is amplified so to speak.

I have replaced dozens of bearings that were pitted but not sloppy at all.

Hard part is getting the main shaft apart and all the toy trannies are pretty similar in how that are disassembled

Yes I believe you have to drop the countershaft down in the case to get the input out/replace the bearing.

Now when you say play you mean with it out of the rig you have some side to side play? Thats actually normal since the bearing is a roller bearing and not a tapered bearing and since there is a long distance to where you can hold the input and the bearing the amount of play is amplified so to speak.

I have replaced dozens of bearings that were pitted but not sloppy at all.

Hard part is getting the main shaft apart and all the toy trannies are pretty similar in how that are disassembled

This "play" is good to hear.
I have two of them. Both have the same amount of play. Not getting driven every day should last a while I'd think.

It's all making sense now that you say "roller bearing".

NOw, about those bushings as opposed to pilot bearing. Is that something you had made Choppy? or is it a Dorman repair product?
cheers

Find a NAPA or Carquest or the like and dig thru the Doorman drawers. They have a metric one.

Then its rock simple/reliable like an old chevy.