• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Walker Valley upcoming logging

japerry

Just got the new package that describes whats going on with Timber Tamer trail at WV.

UPDATE: (2/1/2010) Logging will be done by Hampton Tree Farms. Road construction may occur this fall, or next year. Logging won't happen in 2011.

Most of the 4x4 trail will be unaffected. See attached image

20101209-rbernnrew4n1xh7qbddhbmf31a.jpg

Additionally, the part that the trail goes into has been declared a leave tree area. Thats awesome!
However there are some changes coming along:

1st) the road being built is permanent, which means it won't be deactivated after logging. Luckily, this road intersects the trail, so we should be able to build a crossing and continue the trail like normal.

2nd) Since the road isn't being deactivated, you can bet that the rest of the area will be going up for sale in the next year or two. Nothing definitive yet, but be ready.

3rd) The rock pit will be changing and/or closed for a bit.
20101209-8irex7fyjc88ax1qqy4rcehrp.jpg

We need to find out if the digging will cut off the access we have from the main road.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is going to effect our access into the pit via that short, steep trail. Maybe we could work with DNR to build a bypass trail to the North?

using the shoe-fly to get to the upper pit would suck. hopefully we can get another route? unless im thinking about the wrong pit?

Try and contact the logging contractor when the project starts and see if he will do a lil more to rehab the trails or see if you can rent him and a machine for a day to rehab them. Log loaders usually cost $100-120 per hour and a cat is around $95 so know your plan prior to starting!!

I'll take your word for it, as I don't have a map in front of me..:D

Don't worry, I took map orienteering in boy scouts.

Wait, I was never in boy scouts...:eeek::redneck:

Anyways, there could be some cool stuff just to the North of the pit if we were looking to bypass all the **** they are doing in the pit. It could be two-fold, as there is some bootleg single track stuff in there that would also be able to be absorbed/stopped by a trail going through there...

Looks like I got some walkin to do when I get back to the wetside...

Last edited:
Don't worry, I took map orienteering in boy scouts.

Wait, I was never in boy scouts...:eeek::redneck:

Anyways, there could be some cool stuff just to the North of the pit if we were looking to bypass all the **** they are doing in the pit. Looks like I got some walkin to do when I get back to the wetside...
Yup, indeedee!! Let me know when ya wanna do this! I'll bring a GPS...:awesomework: