• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

warm up time

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
GAWD DAMN IT!:redneck:

How long are you guys lettin your diesel rigs warm up? Seems these motors take a long time to get warm in the morning?

From what ive heard its actually hard on them to let them sit an idle when cold your best bet is to just drive and get it warmed up unfortunently

if its cold i plug it in...let it run for a few minutes then i drive it nice till it gets more temp in it..
I suppose I could plug it in. Now I let it run for 5 minutes and then drive like a little old man till it gets warm.

From what ive heard its actually hard on them to let them sit an idle when cold your best bet is to just drive and get it warmed up unfortunently

I was curious about the sitting at idle. eh, I mostly worry that I hit that big ass hill straight away on my drive everyday in a truck thats not warm. This is mostly why I ask...

I plug my diesel in the night before and set a timer to start 1-2 hours before i leave, depending on how cold it's gonna be. Once I start it, I wait about 15 seconds for all of the cylinders to smooth out. Then, I put it in 4WD and drift out of my neighborhood while black smoking everyone in my path.

I plug my diesel in the night before and set a timer to start 1-2 hours before i leave, depending on how cold it's gonna be. Once I start it, I wait about 15 seconds for all of the cylinders to smooth out. Then, I put it in 4WD and drift out of my neighborhood while black smoking everyone in my path.

This is the best approach.

I used to run out and start mine 5 mins prior. Had it plugged in once it started to get below freezing.

New plans are for a high idle setting on my chip. We use that in our Strykers when its cold and it seems to work wonders.

Start it--once you have oil pressure go :awesomework:
Ditto. This is what cummins suggests. Letting them sit idling is bad for them. Especially while cold. Just take it easy and don't romp on it till it warms up. I usually don't take it over 2k

It all depends how late I am headin' off to work!!!:redneck:
Seriously, I start it, then run in and grab my lunch box, kiss the wife, and head for the nearest coffe stand (600ft from the driveway!!!:haha:)

ill be investing in a cold front for the truck this year:cool: But im with majority...I dont even let my glowplugs warm. Turn the key...it fires...put in drive and go. The seat warmer keeps me cozy tell the heat actually kicks in

I start mine up put it in nuetral for 2minutes and then go. putting it in nuetral gets the torque converter full of tranny fluid :awesomework: