• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Weight ratio front to back

shrek1

What is the best weight ratio front to back for a all purpose wheeler?
50/50? 40/60? lets hear your opinions and why thanks in advance.:D

i'm aiming for close to 50-50, but to even get close you need a nice set of corner scales, and you need to care :D

I had a nice long chat with Dustin Webster a few years back about this topic. Dustin had a good analogy of weight distribution, put a hammer on a steep incline handle down and push it up the incline with 1 finger. It is a balancing act to keep it head up. Now do the same thing with the head down and it want's to lift the light handle up and flip over.

He said that they shoot for a touch nose heavy, I guess Becca's rig is 51/49 and it works very well obviously.

I have no dreams of being close to 50/50 but if I can manage 60/40 I'll be ecstatic. Even after moving the whole drive train back 7"...

It depends on what you're doing with it. Anywhere you put the COG will shine in one instace or another...Use White Trash's example..Now try the same thing going down hill....
Different scenario and a different rig will shine.:redneck:

BTW stay away from Dustin Webster...Smart guy but he tends to try and sell you on whatever would make his sponsors products seem right even if he knows better.:;

exactly what these guys said ^^

The better balanced the weight, the better the vehicle will drive balanced everywere. Front heavy is gonna climb better, all your weight on the right side will sidehill really great one directions, etc etc. :redneck:

Yup, keep it low and as balanced as you can. Why do you think you see desert trucks with the drivetrain moved back a foot or more, the battery and fuel cell moved to the very back... It's all about that ratio so you don't lawn dart off a jump. :D

Binder, no worries you won't find me running projunk tires any day soon. :haha: We had a chat about such things, I helped him and Dallas groove Becca's tires and he fed us redbull for the afternoon. Fawking win for an afternoon if you ask me. :D

It depends on what you're doing with it. Anywhere you put the COG will shine in one instace or another...Use White Trash's example..Now try the same thing going down hill....

You could always just back down the hill :D

For all around I would say 50/50 would be optimal for most wheeling, I'm
52/48 and I think it works pretty good.

TOTALLY depends on what you're doing. Look at how well the THOSE GALS rig works, the motor is moved way forward in that rig and it will climb damn near anything.