• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welders...

zig80toy

I need some help picking out a welder. I am a rookie welder but plan on changing that in the near future. I have been looking at different welders online, but really have no idea what to look for. I dont want to buy one from Harbor Freight and have it break within a month. I also dont want to buy one that i am going to want to upgrade out of in a couple months. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart all have so many different models... What are some Pros and Cons of the different brands/models? Which is the best bang for the buck, for the average backyard faber?
I will be working on bumpers, rock sliders, cages, etc...
Thanks

:pray: :****:

a 220 V 180 to 210 amp welder will do most home brew stuff. i really wanted the miller 210 but settled for the hobart 180 handler. it works really good and the 210 was a considerable jump in price.

Hip said:
a 220 V 180 to 210 amp welder will do most home brew stuff. i really wanted the miller 210 but settled for the hobart 180 handler. it works really good and the 210 was a considerable jump in price.

yea the 210 would be sweet, I have the miller 175 and it does everything I need to do...

my next welder will be a miller 210, have heard nothing but great things about product, customer support etc.

The new ESAP 250amp welder is hard to beat right now for the money. They used to be a pos, but now they seem to have their stuff together.

Dude said:
The new ESAP 250amp welder is hard to beat right now for the money. They used to be a pos, but now they seem to have their stuff together.

What's a ESAP? If you're talking about a ESAB 250 than unless they have changed them in the last 2 years than I agree they are junk:redneck:

the Lincoln has a softer arc then the millers do.

you mite want to start out with some thing along the lines of a weld pak or a sp100. some thing along thoes lines to get you started. you never know you mite not like it or be any good at it and give it up. if not then when you go to get a bigger welder then you always have the smaller one to do some body work or lil jobs that you dont really need a big welder for.(they are great to have around to go do feild jobs where you dont need the big one)

and like always :cheer:

Last edited:
I tend to be a "true blue" guy myself.....I have a Miller 200 that I bought in 1991 and it has never let me down so far..:cheer: ..(Danng 15 yrs)..I should buy another one just cause I owe it to myself....

You saw what the wife is driving these days....I think another welder is not toooo much to ask......BUT then again with the payment on that thing I can't afford another welder...Dammit she wins again...:mad:

Id have to say for just starting out the MillerMatic 135 would be your best bet. You can find them on ebay new for around $560 shipped to your door. Ive had mine for three years and use it for everything on my truck, spring hangers, bumpers, cage, sheetmetal, etc. Some people will say a 110 wont get enough penetration and this may be true with some of the smaller 110's but with I have had no problems with this(just crank that sucker up:D ). I use a Lincoln power mig 255c at work and I actually like my little 135 more for all the stuff I do at home. Just practice, practice, practice!!

if you think you will be welding for a while pony up and buy the miller 210 and never need another welder. until you need TIG.