• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding hoods

85toyo

I've got a few auto dark hoods that really dont work all that great so most of the time I stick with my cheap fixed shade. I have a hard time with the fixed shade when I have to stick my head up in some tight spots and can't flip it down so I think it's time to invest in a good hood. I've been looking at the miller pro hobby and performance series auto dark hoods. Any experience with these or better suggestions?

I been welding for about 12 yrs now (im still a novice) I have always just had a fixed shade hood. Then I started using the auto hoods at work and had to have one well. I was in lowe's about a month ago and they had there small window auto darkening hood on sale for $59.99 so I bought it figured if it sucked i could take it back, but it works like a champ has a knob to adjust the shade and nothing else fully auto!!! great deal IMO :dblthumb:

Bout any hood you get at a welding supply store such as airgas is gona be good for what you do. I have several student that have miller hoods and they work great. Dont get one with a knob on the outside because it hangs on everything. I also have students that have the hobart hoods and they work well also. Personally i like a Jackson hood and if your not worried about adjusting shades or having grinding mode you can buy one for around $100

iv been welding for 15 years + and have had many but so far the millers top the list. iv got 2 miller Digital Elites with the cool band and i love them the down side is the cost around 500 but without the cool band there around 300 to 325

For tight places Speedglass hoods are small and many adjustments.I personally own a miller hood also love it its a bit bigger than the speedglass.Both great hoods one just smaller than the other.

sledneck said:
Miller elite series and done. :****:

True Dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had mine for years and still works perfect and its the older one thats not digital but when it does finally take a **** i will be buying the digital version for years more welding service. :****:

I've been welding for 20+ years I WILL NOT USE AN AUTO DARKING HOOD they are great if ur weld in an easy spot. on the older ones they only had one pick up and when welding like a tube chassis u would run across a tube an ur lens would go clear and u get flashed. I kno the new ones are much better and hav multiple pickups but I hav. always used a Jackson hood. it has served me very well.

I have been very happy with my harbor frieght auto darkening hood. It's about $40 and I use it weekly. After many years I did replace it recently.

I've been using the same Speedglas hood for 10 years now and have had no issues. Very light weight and small. I've heard a lot of good things about the miller hoods though.

I have a a speedglass, speedglass air flow, 2 miller digital series, a few jackson fixed shade hoods, and a few cheap hf hoods laying around that are customized to get into those really tight spaces when your tigging the top bars and on a car with a roof etc. Out of all the lids I grab the miller 1st. They feel lighter than the speedglass but they bigger. Cyberweld usually has pretty good deals on them also.

Latest posts