• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what do ya use to supply some fuel?

skipnrocks

What do you guys use for fuel pumps? My dads inline makes a ridiculous whine that I am not a huge fan of. But more I worry about getting enough fuel.

I am running going to be 450ish hp sbc with tune port injection

I've had good luck with my walbro 255. It is quiet but will make noise when the pre-filter gets clogged up.

the above mentioned one is the walbro gsl392. It makes 255 liters per hour (lph). It will push tons of pressure as well, you have to reg it down if your engine doesn't have a reg on it. Depending on what psi a tpi needs, the corvette filter/reg will keep you at the ~60 you want.

TPI should be 43.5 psi regulated. Has the pump always made that noise? Walbro's are usually quiet, until something starts to go wrong....even then, it could last another 2 years. Carters are usually the noisy ones, but thats because of the rotor design...they are good pumps though.

JimboCa said:
TPI should be 43.5 psi regulated. Has the pump always made that noise? Walbro's are usually quiet, until something starts to go wrong....even then, it could last another 2 years. Carters are usually the noisy ones, but thats because of the rotor design...they are good pumps though.

Pump always makes noise. 43 psi but how much flow is needed? Alot of pumps have a lpm rating?

Aeromotive a1000 for me have not had any problems with it running it on a ls motor

Walbro 255 with the vette regulator/filter here. No problems yet but I get 92 psi out of pump. So prob not best for a 44 psi system.

Friend of mine has the MSD blue inline pump. I prob wouldn't recommend it just because it hasn't been real dependable and pretty damn loud.

civicmindedex79 said:
Walbro 255 with the vette regulator/filter here. No problems yet but I get 92 psi out of pump. So prob not best for a 44 psi system.

Friend of mine has the MSD blue inline pump. I prob wouldn't recommend it just because it hasn't been real dependable and pretty damn loud.

You shouldn't be getting 92 psi out of a Corvette regulator ... at least not the LS regulator that I am thinking of and is so popular among so many rigs ...

I have no longevity reports yet as I just installed it but I just switched to an Airtex E8248 because it is cheap, available at any parts store, and equal in performance to the Walbro 255.

And to those saying things like "you might need a regulator," I am unfamiliar with any TBI / TPI systems, but pumps in general are dumb. They don't know if they're making 10 psi or 200 psi. Doesn't there have to be a regulator SOMEWHERE in ANY system to get any sort of reliability out of the fuel being put through the injectors? I know people use the Walbro pump for anywhere from 30 psi - 100+. All that is is the regulator bypassing the excess back to tank to determine pressure.

im running the summit trick flow pump. tfs-25004 it's 80 bucks and made for a ls motor. keep a spare in my box no issues yet.

liv2mx said:
im running the summit trick flow pump. tfs-25004 it's 80 bucks and made for a ls motor. keep a spare in my box no issues yet.

That appears to be an Airtex pump. Probably an e2000, 8228, 8445, or even 8248. (Probably not 8248 just judging by price though.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-25004P/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E2000/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8445/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8248/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8228/

skipnrocks said:
Pump always makes noise. 43 psi but how much flow is needed? Alot of pumps have a lpm rating?
Minimum inline pump specs for a stock TPI is 60psi(unregulated) and 30gph...dont see LPM anywhere as far as a pump rating.
I used a walbro GSL 392 on the TPI setup in my Suburban...trouble free for the 10 years I ran that engine setup.

JimboCa said:
Minimum inline pump specs for a stock TPI is 60psi(unregulated) and 30gph...dont see LPM anywhere as far as a pump rating.
I used a walbro GSL 392 on the TPI setup in my Suburban...trouble free for the 10 years I ran that engine setup.

If stock is 60psi does it matter what injectors are being run?

60 Psi is more than max for any injector size with port injection.
Unless your engine spins at more than 6000 rpm constant, there is really no use to switch to a higher GPH pump.
The problem with Changing to bigger injectors is not the issue with the pumps, but in the fueling tables programed on the EPROM in the ECM. You have to, at the very least, change the base pulse width to match the injectors you are using, especially with a speed density TPI computer. The earlier MAF computers will adjust somewhat, but they are very slow ECMs, and still dont self adjust enough. An Adjustable FPR does help a little, but Chip adjsutments still need to be done.
30# injectors should do the job just fine for your goal, but, keep in mind stock TPI hardware does not breathe worth a damn a little before 5000 rpm.

Cool. I am running after market tpi with aftermarket computer, once its all put together I plan to get it dyno tuned / reprogrammed? Should do the trick? Im not much of a motor guy...

Yup...that should do it. Especially with a dyno tune.
Mine was nothing special. Stock GM TPI from a 91 z28, Throttle body heads, and a comp 12-388-4 cam. 230hp 406ft lbs tq.