• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What do you do for a living?.

Warewolf SD said:
Install adjust maintain and repair elevators in San Diego. Some days you're up... some days you're down... Some days you get the shaft.

I have a good friend does that here in Nashville, believe he works for Otis.

The Luke said:
Trust me man, I get it. We do the best we can with identifying iPids blindly thru a mh lid or amongst a bundle of cables. But I've met with our crews down here a hundred times after they've not found a HH, started from the wrong splice(even ignored the pole number,attachments, etc..) placed a pole on the wrong road, or even placed fiber into the wrong building. It's always this way in any construction process. Everyone blames some other party.

I'm not necessarily picking on const or splicers, more so some of the steps we are required to place. I.e. the fact that we have to put a step on a job just to put the loop BACK where it was. Seems like that would be an understood task.

The fact that any of those steps are wrong, doesn't surprise me at all. I've only been designing for a couple months. I've still got plenty to learn. And yes, it may be proprietary info. But I've never understood why, since none of it would add up to a hill of beans for any normal person. Also, I didn't think any person on hardline would give a damn. But since you proved me wrong, I deleted it off my post.

No worries brother! This place has turned into a nut house the last 5 years or so, and it's only getting worse... and about the print I just don't want you to get busted on it, the rock flippers ( our name for the screen jockeys that only sit at a computer all day and try to save a buck by "crunching numbers " or some other useless happy horseshit) could possibly see it, and it ain't worth your job... and yes that is exactly how bad it is...

as an example of the lunacy I was working a job in a manhole run here that is known to be wet year round. The step allows 2 hours to set up, open the manhole, purge the manhole, pump the water out, identify the splice, get it out, open the splice, id the fibers, route them, splice them, then get it all together and back in the hole. Just pumping the hole (you dirty minded bastards) takes about 5 hours (850 cubic foot hole with a 2 inch electric pump). I was told by my "management team" that that extra time was " built into the step". So apparently at at&t, according to the higher ups, 2>5...

nowadays I just go in, do my damn work, and ignore the rest of the crap... and the step, to put the loop back up? Isn't to tell us to do it (we know lol) but to give us TIME to do it..., and as you well know, the phone company is no longer driven by quality, but by time...

sorry guys, I need to get in the woods lol
Rant over
Again no worries Luke

And I get it about some outside guys, sometimes you just can't fix stupid... most of us aren't the sharpest forks in the drawer

3j7 said:
No worries brother! This place has turned into a nut house the last 5 years or so, and it's only getting worse... and about the print I just don't want you to get busted on it, the rock flippers ( our name for the screen jockeys that only sit at a computer all day and try to save a buck by "crunching numbers " or some other useless happy horseshit) could possibly see it, and it ain't worth your job... and yes that is exactly how bad it is...

as an example of the lunacy I was working a job in a manhole run here that is known to be wet year round. The step allows 2 hours to set up, open the manhole, purge the manhole, pump the water out, identify the splice, get it out, open the splice, id the fibers, route them, splice them, then get it all together and back in the hole. Just pumping the hole (you dirty minded bastards) takes about 5 hours (850 cubic foot hole with a 2 inch electric pump). I was told by my "management team" that that extra time was " built into the step". So apparently at at&t, according to the higher ups, 2>5...

nowadays I just go in, do my damn work, and ignore the rest of the crap... and the step, to put the loop back up? Isn't to tell us to do it (we know lol) but to give us TIME to do it..., and as you well know, the phone company is no longer driven by quality, but by time...

sorry guys, I need to get in the woods lol
Rant over
Again no worries Luke

And I get it about some outside guys, sometimes you just can't fix stupid... most of us aren't the sharpest forks in the drawer

Ain't no thing.

I mainly meant that they should build that time into one step. Since if you're taking it down, it has to go back up eventually.

I hear ya about getting back into the woods. I'm counting down the days til the Harlan ride in October.

I'm a firefighter. Also work part time for the ambulance service. (it sucks) but pays decent. Then I'm also a project manager for a Hazardous materials clean-up company. That's a cake job that pays well but its all on call work and not always steady. I'm still working on my degree so when i can eventually retire i can do something cool and hopefully make some decent coin. If you want a decent career where you have a pretty sweet schedule and typically have good benefits try being a fire-fighter.

Sandwich maker....lol, actually I work for the local government as a business outreach coordinator, vendor administrator so basically I help businesses learn how to do business with the government, our focus is on small owned, veteran and minority owned, I also do contract compliance and IT for my Departmenf which is Procurement, anything that is bought or bid out for the county (sheriffs dept, schools, health dept, libraries, highway dept, etc...) all goes through the office I work in, I train all other departments in the county how to use our financial software.

Re: Re: What do you do for a living?.

slravenel said:
I am a Product Manager for an aviation company in Atlanta, GA

Used to be the Regional Sales Manager for Europe and Scandinavia for this same company, and then before that I was a jackman on a NASCAR team for a season

Fell assbackwards into each and every one of them...except the PM spot currently - I pushed hard for that one.
What aviation company? If you don't mind me asking?

I am a Lead Technician in Aviation Maintenance - on my 30th year at Delta Airlines

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I work for Molex as a mechanical engineer. I design high speed data cabling and electrical interconnects for data center switches. Before that, I worked as a service technician at a Cadillac dealership for nearly a decade.

Warewolf SD said:
Then I would expect you have good taste in friends. Tell your buddy at team green HI for me

Will do, I remember when he was going to Mechanic School took several years, but, he makes good money now!

ljholmann said:
Sandwich maker....lol, actually I work for the local government(making sammiches) as a business outreach coordinator(making sammiches), vendor administrator so basically I(making sammiches) help businesses learn how to do business with the government(making sammiches), our focus is on small owned, veteran and minority owned(making sammiches), I also do contract compliance(making sammiches) and IT for my Departmenf(making sammiches) which is Procurement(making sammiches), anything that is bought or bid out for the county(making sammiches) (sheriffs dept(making sammiches), schools(making sammiches), health dept(making sammiches), libraries(making sammiches), highway dep(making sammiches)t, etc...) all goes through the office I work in(making sammiches), I train all other departments(making sammiches) in the county how to use our financial software(making sammiches).

So you are saying that you work for the government. Cool job. Ham,Spam or peanut butter? :flipoff1: :rolf: :stir:

ADMINISTRATOR (reported to self)

jccarter1 said:
Chasman you ever do anything with McCool contracting I have worked with them and they are some good ol boys

We have not worked for McCool that I know of. 70% of our work is Alabama Power(Southern Companies) generated, with the other being CS Beatty, SAIA Construction as well as LaFarge, Lhoist, and a few smaller companies. Is McCool out of Duncanville? :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

TacomaJD said:
Maybe you can come figure out what's wrong with our effing automatic quick-roll-up warehouse door. Heard PLC was bad or something and the door is dated and parts are scarce for it. But our maintenance has it under control.....haha. You work for Southwire?

Yeah, I work for Scrapwire. I'm sure I could figure it out.

Logan, that panel isnt bad at all. I'll take some pics of our localized machine control rooms. They're a disaster. Lol. Fuk Siemens.

Re: Re: What do you do for a living?.

94xjsport94 said:
Yeah, I work for Scrapwire. I'm sure I could figure it out.

Logan, that panel isnt bad at all. I'll take some pics of our localized machine control rooms. They're a disaster. Lol. Fuk Siemens.
Cool, we order a bunch if copper rod from there, like big ole 5k lb coiled up wire on pallets of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk