• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what do you make of this?

uhohhotdog151

lost my gears in my rear end today. where brand new richmond gears, that i had bobby cryo, they were "professionaly" set up. i broke them in properly. today i was pulling someone out, and we were moving for about 50 feet i heard a pop, then a bunch of grinding and had no rear wheel drive. they had less than 2k milles on them, and thats 90% highway miles. would this be caused by not being setup properly? nothing else was damaged other than the gears. but all the teeth on the ring and pinion are destroyed. the first pic is handfull of the shattered gears out of the housing.

crushed.jpg

ring5.jpg

ring4.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell by the pics shown---haven't seen ALL the ring gear teeth sheered off like that; Definitely not cool.....:booo:

failure that catastrophic started with the setup. I would take it back to the "professionals" that setup the third.
this wouldn't be a TG third, would it?

gears dont shatter like that just cause. and i beet the hell out of my oldset with the 38's. i just replaced those because i had to drive 30 miles after i broke my main pin and it chewed up my gears. and they were in wayyyyy better shape than these.

Im sure you can diagnose why the gears failed right now. There was something seriously wrong with the set-up to wipe out all the ring gear like that. Im guessing something with the carrier bearing set-up..Maybee the threads got ripped out of the caps or the adjusters wernt threaded in there right.

When you cyro treat a gear set, it is more likely to shatter. You are increasing the strength but you also make it more brittle then before.

But hey, I've cracked gears with 45hp and 33's on a Sammy front end, so what do I know. :p

i would say the professional that set them up may only be posing as a professional i do say the very well could have been set up wroooong... Who set em up ? :redneck: