• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what Gears?

i drive mine every day.... ya sure 4.88's would be a little better at freeway speeds but toyota 4cyl need all the help they can get. my 02

Also I forgot to mention. Figure out what is in it now cause toys came with all types of different ratios stock. most likely it has the 4.10 but some had 4.38 and if its an auto trans some had 4.88 gears. I drive mine more on the highway than anything else. But I like the 4.88 better because it has a bigger pinion than a 5.29 which makes it a little stronger. and if it doesnt go slow enough for you offroad you can always throw 4.7 gears in the t-case or run dual cases. anyways everyone has their opinion. And thats just mine :awesomework:

Also I forgot to mention. Figure out what is in it now cause toys came with all types of different ratios stock. most likely it has the 4.10 but some had 4.38 and if its an auto trans some had 4.88 gears. I drive mine more on the highway than anything else. But I like the 4.88 better because it has a bigger pinion than a 5.29 which makes it a little stronger. and if it doesnt go slow enough for you offroad you can always throw 4.7 gears in the t-case or run dual cases. anyways everyone has their opinion. And thats just mine :awesomework:

wow are you running 4.88's and 39.5 with a 22r series motor:eeek:

my rig 5.29's daily driven for 3 years. no problems felt perfect on the road with 35's..never had a problem with small pinion. or high revving freeway speeds..plus when you go to wheel you are geared decent,otherwise you need dual cases with the other choice.

my kids rig 4.88's (motor a lil tired) but the gears leave alot to be desired..

I just talked to a guy at Randys and he said the Toyota 5.29s are still made by Emmbros in Haryana, India.

gonna go with trail gear ring and pinion 5.29's and a lock-rite in the rear..

thanks again for all the input and conversation:awesomework::beer:

yep ty, that is the final answer, talked to odie today he has the gears and i just need to find the locker , and he really close to me so the parts wont be hard to find..

again thanks this has been helpful..........you guys are the best..:redneck::squirrel:

yep ty, that is the final answer, talked to odie today he has the gears and i just need to find the locker , and he really close to me so the parts wont be hard to find..

again thanks this has been helpful..........you guys are the best..:redneck::squirrel:

Odie's the man. He set my gears up.:awesomework:

Just give odie your drop outs and have him set the gears up. Anything other than 5.29's and you will regret it.

If you are running more street than trails 4.88 would be the way to go as Pokey said you will actually be too low for highway speeds and rev 3k rpm at 60, Im running 4.88 with 39.5 tires and my speedometer is dead on at any speed. And yes nitro gears kick ass

No. its the 2.7 I pull three quads over the pass to go play at Moses Lake with it tho. and it gets between 19 - 21 mpg with everyday driving.

SO you're running 39.5" tires, 4.88 gears, and a 2.7 and you're getting 19-21mpg?:cheer: How! I really want to know, because I'm not even getting close to that with narrow 33's. :booo: